Rip Jimmy Hill - Page 2 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Rip Jimmy Hill

Billy 2 Boots

I'm talking about homophobic chanting by Scottish fans. Don't care about any other fans.

Yet never any condemnation of Tories shagging orphans. Why is that? I suggest you compile a dossier on all this vile abuse and hand it in to your local tory home secretary. I am sure they will be as outraged as you clearly are.

I've always been a bit sceptical of the view that the Jimmy Hill song emanated from his toepoke comment.

I'm convinced it was sung prior to the 1982 World Cup and was a result of his generally dismissive and patronising attitude towards Scottish football. I think the lighthearted banter thing came after the song when Jimmy was left with the option of going one way or the other when eventually questioned about it.

Thankfully, he was proven to have a sense of humour.

Also agree with the poster who said that (unbelievable as it may seem now) calling someone a poof back then, didn't necessarily mean you were questioning their sexuality.

Yet never any condemnation of Tories shagging orphans. Why is that? I suggest you compile a dossier on all this vile abuse and hand it in to your local tory home secretary. I am sure they will be as outraged as you clearly are.

You are properly bonkers.

Sad news really! The song was just a bit of banter and he knew that!

I also remember him on tam cowans offside. He got a huge cheer! Said he loves the Scotland fans really..

Think the show ended with everyone singing "we love jimmy hill... he's a pooooof he's a poooof" hahaha he lapped it up! R.I.P

The poof chant was comical at that time.times have just changed and this kind of banter is deemed to be unacceptable.

Edited by allyc

I was in the audience for the show from Paris. There was a lot of we hate Jimmy Hill chants before the show but we were told it would just be edited out so we were asked to change it. He was a proper gent. RIP.

Aye, was there too. He had a brilliant sense of humour, and was a far better guest than Ewan McGregor.

Top man, Jimmy. RIP.

I've always been a bit sceptical of the view that the Jimmy Hill song emanated from his toepoke comment.

I'm convinced it was sung prior to the 1982 World Cup and was a result of his generally dismissive and patronising attitude towards Scottish football. I think the lighthearted banter thing came after the song when Jimmy was left with the option of going one way or the other when eventually questioned about it.

Thankfully, he was proven to have a sense of humour.

Also agree with the poster who said that (unbelievable as it may seem now) calling someone a poof back then, didn't necessarily mean you were questioning their sexuality.

Spot on Marky. At least in my memory. Came across early on as patronising (maybe that was us, not him), but in the end all banter.

A good bloke I think, and I'm genuinely sad at his passing. RIP Jimmy

• 2 weeks later...

Like the story of him working as a commentator at a game when the linesman picked up an injury. No replacement was on duty so a call over the tannoy asking for a qualified ref from the crowd or game was to be abandoned.

After some time a track suited Mr Hill is running the line allowing the game to continue.