Your Heritage - Page 3 - Anything Goes - Other topics not covered elsewhere - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Your Heritage

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This is well worth a read, it changed my perspective a little bit on "who I think I am". It puts your genes in perspective by stating the bleedin obvious, but its framed in a way I hadn't actually properly considered.

http://qz.com/557639/everyone-on-earth-is-actually-your-cousin/

I wonder if there's mischief involved in the example he uses, I'm sure there would be plenty of people interested in the Prince's DNA.

By the way - its really really difficult to trace all your 128 Gx5 grandparents unless you are some sort of real inbred, in which case you probably can't count anyway.

This is well worth a read, it changed my perspective a little bit on "who I think I am". It puts your genes in perspective by stating the bleedin obvious, but its framed in a way I hadn't actually properly considered.

http://qz.com/557639/everyone-on-earth-is-actually-your-cousin/

For the first time in my life, I think I now understand what a "third cousin twice removed" is. To be honest, I had never had enough interest to think about it before. A very interesting read, cous. :ok:

To my surprise whilst doing some research I found out that my Grandfather on ma Da's side was born in "Tynecastle", I thought we were Fifers forever! other Grandad was born in Knightswood and there is rumoured to be some Irish connection way back in the 1700s but no looked into it yet, Mum is doing a family tree, pretty interesting stuff!

For the first time in my life, I think I now understand what a "third cousin twice removed" is. To be honest, I had never had enough interest to think about it before. A very interesting read, cous. :ok:

The way I remember it, having a lot of cousins, is that their kids are my kids' second cousins. And my kids are their first cousins once removed.....I think!

The one that blows my mind is the idea that billions of the atoms in your body once belonged to Shakespeare!

The way I remember it, having a lot of cousins, is that their kids are my kids' second cousins. And my kids are their first cousins once removed.....I think!

The one that blows my mind is the idea that billions of the atoms in your body once belonged to Shakespeare!

One of he physics honor year questions involved deriving what odds there is of inhaling a molecule that Caesar exhaled in his last breath. in one inhale.

Edited by phart

I was inferring that you derived your family tree from the Internet. Apologies if this was not accurate and I offended you.

However, I've just realised that you may be a Macgregor, and as a Maclaren I'd like an apology for your forebears massacring my poor, innocent ancestors at Balquhidder please.

One of he physics honor year questions involved deriving what odds there is of inhaling a molecule that Caesar exhaled in his last breath. in one inhale.

Aye, I remember doing a similar one. But it was to do with how many molecules of water in your pint of beer had passed through Napoleon's bladder. Of course the first question was always "Are we talking McEwan's or Ushers".

The highest concentration of people with buchan for a surname is from a small village between fraserburgh and peterhead called st.combs, its not as consentrated as it used to be but still over half the village have the surname, peterhead has a very high consentration of buchans, local hisrory has it that the buchans of peterhead originated from from st.coms but im unsure how accurate that is,,, all the villages along the northeast "nuek" have their fair share of buchans,,, my guess if you father was from aberdeen with the surname buchan your heritage would have been in the fishing industry and a high chance it would have originated from the northeast fishing community.

My surname is buchan, i think my great grandad (on ma dads side) was from aberdeen.

I researched my family History a few years ago, got back to the mid 1600's.

All Scots on both sides.

Fathers Side:- All from 3 fishing villages on the Buchan Coast - Cairnbulg, Inverallochy & St.Combs (Charlestown).

Mothers Side:- Mostly from the NE - Rosehearty, Fraserburgh, New Aberdour, New Pitsligo, New Deer.

Also - Eyemouth, Leith, Edinburgh, Inverness, Kiltarlity.

All Scots on both sides.

Fathers Side:- All from 3 fishing villages on the Buchan Coast - Cairnbulg, Inverallochy & St.Combs (Charlestown).

Mothers Side:- Mostly from the NE - Rosehearty, Fraserburgh, New Aberdour, New Pitsligo, New Deer.

Bores? Introverts? Or just racist?

Very similar to my own, add in gamrie(gardenstown),crovie and peterhead then thats me,,, if your farhers side were from charleston(known as soddam) then theres a good chance we share the same heritage

All Scots on both sides.

My maternal side have been in the Hamilton/Quarter/Glassford area since the early 1800s but my maternal Grandfather had an Uncle in Oz when he moved there just before WWI. Some distant cousins still there I believe. Maternal grandmother had family from Antrim too.

Paternal grandfather was descended from Irish Catholic immigrants to Glasgow's east end and married my Protestant granny, bringing their children, including my Dad, up as Church of Scotland. It caused quite a stooshie when my Grandfather was subsequently given a CoS funeral and that rift never really healed.

Been doing this for years,Can get stuck for months and then one wee bit of information and your off again. Family name is a Galoglas name so originally Scottish before ending up in Co Cavan. Lot of ancestors from Galway,Mayo , Sligo and Dundee.

Notable findings. One who served in the court of King James in Paris ,another who was a cavalry officer with Jacobite troops in the French army. One who was hung at the end of the 18th century for making pikes,and probably using them as well. However often it's the ones who have done nothing special who can be the most interesting to find.

Good chance we do share the same ancestors Hampden Loon. My Great - Granny was a 'Buchan' from St.Combs.

Her ancestors included Buchan's of course, Strachan's, Greig's, Lawrance's, Cardno's & Penny. Found out some interesting stuff about some of these.

Edited by Jacobite Piper