Christmas In Austrian Alps - General Travel - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Christmas In Austrian Alps

macy37

After this year I am thinking of pissing off next Christmas to Austria to get away from all this pish.

It has to be Austria.....don't ask, she insists!

Questions are where is easy to get to from Scotland or Northern England?

Where as a resort is high enough to have a good chance of a white christmas?

Does anyone have any good recommendations to look into?

I've been to 3 resorts in Austria to ski...Ehrwald, Serfaus and Flachau.

Ehrwald's at a reasonably low altitude, just over the border from Garmisch in Germany. It's set in beautiful scenery.

Serfaus is higher, and is a lovely village which is unique in having an underground metro running through the town. Some great hotels, restaurants and bars.

Wasn't all that impressed with Flachau as a town, it's spread out and misses the ''çhocolate box' appeal which I presume your missus is looking for.

Ironically, we had much better snow in Ehrwald than either Serfaus or Flachau, despite it's lower altitude.....thing is, with snow it's hit or miss. There's no absolute guarantee (especially in December) unless you go reeeeaaaaly high to someplace like Obergurgl.

I've also been to Kitzbuhel and Zell am See in the summer. Both are lovely.

If your missus is looking for the ultimate Christmas feel, it's hard to go wrong in Austria. The towns and villages are much more scenic than those in France or Switzerland, and the quality of everything is superb.

Just use the WWW to find the place you like the look of, and cross your fingers for snow.

Rossy, thank you very much. Serfaus looks interesting on my phone and I'll take a good look later on pc. 1400m up looks a good gamble.

Any more places you may think of fire away.

Getting to Austria isn't that easy though. Fly to Munich then drive about as good as I can see without looking to in depth at it all so far?

Rossy, thank you very much. Serfaus looks interesting on my phone and I'll take a good look later on pc. 1400m up looks a good gamble.

Any more places you may think of fire away.

Getting to Austria isn't that easy though. Fly to Munich then drive about as good as I can see without looking to in depth at it all so far?

Yeah, I did that for Ehrwald.

Flew to Innsbruck for Serfaus and Lech, and Salzburg for Flachau.

We took a bus from Innsbruck up to Serfaus....you won't need a car when you're there and there's nothing worse than getting stuck up a mountain in a car, in a blizzard :wink2:

Good luck !

Yeah, I did that for Ehrwald.

Flew to Innsbruck for Serfaus and Lech, and Salzburg for Flachau.

We took a bus from Innsbruck up to Serfaus....you won't need a car when you're there and there's nothing worse than getting stuck up a mountain in a car, in a blizzard :wink2:

Good luck !

Can I ask was it a multi stop Flight to get to Innsbruck or a direct? Maybe it wasn't from Scotland?

Thanks.

Does it have to be Austria? There are some smaller resorts in switz or France even which are reasonably nice and still have the chalet look. A lot of the bigger french ones are pretty grim though. I assume this is for skiing? Or is it just to chill out?

Reason I say France or switz is you can do easy jet to Geneva from edin. And jet2 to chambery I think.

Edit to say France will be cheaper than Austria. Not sure about switz though.

Edited by ShedTA

Does it have to be Austria? There are some smaller resorts in switz or France even which are reasonably nice and still have the chalet look. A lot of the bigger french ones are pretty grim though. I assume this is for skiing? Or is it just to chill out?

Reason I say France or switz is you can do easy jet to Geneva from edin. And jet2 to chambery I think.

Edit to say France will be cheaper than Austria. Not sure about switz though.

She wants the 'chocolate box' type place and it is more to chill than ski to be honest. If we can find time with a wee one we would ski but it's more to chill and get away from jumping to everyones tune like we seem to do every wretched Christmas!

I'm open to all ideas and the less expensive the better to be honest so I guess that'll rule Switzerland out?

I have only ever ski'd in Italy (years ago) and Garmisch recently and I've no idea if Italy was costly but Garmisch most certainly isn't for food, drink nor hotels really.....not 'cheap' but certainly not prohibitively expensive.

Geneva look a good option to fly to as it would I guess save a fairly lengthy transfer by either train or car?

I'm all ears to options folks! :ok:

Italy is cheaper again - tell you what there is a great book - "where to ski and snowboard" it's called - regardless of what you are doing there t gives a great summary of just about every resort you can imagine in every country. Rates them by scenic beauty, cost, nightlife, cars/no cars, restaurants and accom etc. Essential for me as we go every year for family ski hols but would defo help you out. Lots of pics too of the resorts so you can see what they are like. Would recommend it.

Macy, how many of you are travelling? We went to Snowbombing for a stag do in 2014 and flew to Munich. We booked 6 seaters for the return journey to Mayerhofen. Wasn't ridiculous in terms of cost as I recall. Can get the name of the firm if you like? We just booked it all online. Was about 2 hours transfer time.

Obviously it would be a bit different to how we experienced it due to the festival, but it was a cracking place.

Macy, how many of you are travelling? We went to Snowbombing for a stag do in 2014 and flew to Munich. We booked 6 seaters for the return journey to Mayerhofen. Wasn't ridiculous in terms of cost as I recall. Can get the name of the firm if you like? We just booked it all online. Was about 2 hours transfer time.

Obviously it would be a bit different to how we experienced it due to the festival, but it was a cracking place.

Just 2 and the wean. Heard nice things of that place so will take a wee look. Thanks!

Italy is cheaper again - tell you what there is a great book - "where to ski and snowboard" it's called - regardless of what you are doing there t gives a great summary of just about every resort you can imagine in every country. Rates them by scenic beauty, cost, nightlife, cars/no cars, restaurants and accom etc. Essential for me as we go every year for family ski hols but would defo help you out. Lots of pics too of the resorts so you can see what they are like. Would recommend it.

The last few times we went skiing we went to Italy, and loved it.

The Dolomites is dramatically fantastic scenery, and it's much more relaxed than anywhere else we've been. I loved the fact that there's no real pressure to ski, and that you can do loads of walks with plenty of stops for coffee, gluhwein etc.

The only drawback is that it;s not always snow guaranteed, especially in December.

Here's the website for the area...it's the highest Alpine meadow in Europe.

http://www.seiseralm.it/en/holidays-in-the-dolomites.html

The Dolomites is dramatically fantastic scenery, and it's much more relaxed than anywhere else we've been. I loved the fact that there's no real pressure to ski, and that you can do loads of walks with plenty of stops for coffee, gluhwein etc.

The only drawback is that it;s not always snow guaranteed, especially in December.

Only skied Italy once along time ago. Looks a cracking spot though - thanks for the link. Might have to get the kids over there one year!

You going this year rossy? I am now in the family ski holiday market with two kids to take but we have managed to get what I think is a cracking deal. Courchevel for a week. All inclusive in a chalet hotel but ideal for what we need I think.

New experience for us - usually prefer to do our own thing and eat out at nights etc but this was a v decent deal. Skiing is first class out there. Always keen to hear what others do/ favour.

I'd probably avoid Austria if you want snow sure ski towns. Most are fairly low (although probably the most "chocolate box" you will find). Lech is one of the nicest ski towns i've ever been to, although be warned, it's for the very wealthy! French resorts are generally a bit mass market and not the pretiest. Switzerland is really expensive. You might find a nice traditional place with excellent restaurants in Italy. You can fly into Turin for immediate access to Alps.

Appreciate that the above is rather sweeping, but probably a fair guide.

That all said, if you aren't skiing, want snow, want a traditional and nice looking town, with lot's old restuarants and stuff to do - Chamonix might be a good shout. I don't like it for skiing, but it's big, traditional, you can go up to the top of Valley Blanche - see Mount Blanc. You could even take a day trip to Italy through the Mount Blanc tunnel - the Italian resort at the other side is really nice too (Courmayeur).

You going this year rossy? I am now in the family ski holiday market with two kids to take but we have managed to get what I think is a cracking deal. Courchevel for a week. All inclusive in a chalet hotel but ideal for what we need I think.

New experience for us - usually prefer to do our own thing and eat out at nights etc but this was a v decent deal. Skiing is first class out there. Always keen to hear what others do/ favour.

Courchevel is excellent. Part of the three valleys so endless skiing (biggest ski area in the world i think). I would suggest heading over to Meribel or Val Thoren (amazing skiing) for lunch - probably cheaper than a family lunch in Courchevel! Similarly, getting a catered chalet is shrewd - you'd be bankrupted after two nights taking a family out at night in Courchevel. You will love it - good choice. Full o' Russians though!

Val D'isere is my place of choice. Brilliant town and the skiing in Tignes is superb. Been going there for the last 7 years.

Haw.

Wife wants heat and sunshine instead of cold and snow...off to Cape Town... :wink2:

Edited by Rossy

Courchevel is excellent. Part of the three valleys so endless skiing (biggest ski area in the world i think). I would suggest heading over to Meribel or Val Thoren (amazing skiing) for lunch - probably cheaper than a family lunch in Courchevel! Similarly, getting a catered chalet is shrewd - you'd be bankrupted after two nights taking a family out at night in Courchevel. You will love it - good choice. Full o' Russians though!

Val D'isere is my place of choice. Brilliant town and the skiing in Tignes is superb. Been going there for the last 7 years.

Spot on with that! Been twice before and to val thorens once. It's a massive area and superb snow. Courchevel is a bit rich Russian but we just avoid them. Lunches will not be cheap - one spot before we stopped got all our gear off and sat down and looked at the menu. Cheapest thing was a bowl of soup for 15 Euros!!

Val disere is superb you are right, used to know loads offolk that went there every year, though the skiing is better over in tignes I agree. Unrivalled if the snow is good.

Ah cape town! A great spot and not a bad consolation at all! Been before?

..we've been so often that we bought an apartment there.... :wink2:

(which has just been sold, before anyone goes on about renting it for a holiday) :)

..we've been so often that we bought an apartment there.... :wink2:

(which has just been sold, before anyone goes on about renting it for a holiday) :)

Aye its an amazing place. Whats the rand just now? Thinks its near 20 is it?

Remember having a superb lobster dinner with cracking Hamilton Russell chardonnay in camps bay and it was about £60 all in for 2.