Round The World Trip - General Travel - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Round The World Trip

DoonTheSlope

I've just applied for 6 months leave from work and now I'm planning on taking a few months of work next year and I've decided I'm going to spend my Euro 2016 fund along with the dosh I've been saving up for the past few years for a mortgage. Who wants to get tied into a 40 year contract nowadays??

Anyway I would be travelling solo and I've got a number of different routes and ideas flying around in my head and one is visiting the Baltic's, ferry to St Petersburg then onto Moscow followed by Hong Kong or Beijing. I've always fancied the North Korean border tour so seen as I'd be in that part of the globe I'd nip up towards Seoul and then to Anchorage.

This is where I've just last night thought about taking a train from Alaska down to Vancouver then onto three or four other cities on the way to where I could cross the border into Mexico for a few hours. I'm not overly fussed about spending too much time in Mexico, just long enough to have q drink and get a few souvenirs. I'd then hop back into the States and take a train to New York/Chicago before flying back home.

How much is rail travel in the US and am I better to book in advance or book as I go or am I just as cheap to fly

Many Thanks

Sounds magic, go for it! Great attitude to the mortgage thing in my opinion - no one lies on their deathbed thinking of the house they once owned!

Anytime I've travelled by train in US I've pre-booked Amtrak tickets. By train is obviously a better way of seeing at least a bit of what you're passing through, and cheaper.

My daughter has just booked up for Vancouver. She'll only be 17 but is heading over for two weeks in July to suss the place out and to lay foundations for a potential move there later in 2016.

As for Euro 2016 savings (we must all have done that!) I'm now going to El Clasico in April, Iceland that same week and taking the laddie (half Polish) to Poland v Ukraine in Marseille before our family holiday in Cape Verde. Traveling is the dugs baws ??

Edited by McTeeko

I've just applied for 6 months leave from work and now I'm planning on taking a few months of work next year and I've decided I'm going to spend my Euro 2016 fund along with the dosh I've been saving up for the past few years for a mortgage. Who wants to get tied into a 40 year contract nowadays??

Anyway I would be travelling solo and I've got a number of different routes and ideas flying around in my head and one is visiting the Baltic's, ferry to St Petersburg then onto Moscow followed by Hong Kong or Beijing. I've always fancied the North Korean border tour so seen as I'd be in that part of the globe I'd nip up towards Seoul and then to Anchorage.

This is where I've just last night thought about taking a train from Alaska down to Vancouver then onto three or four other cities on the way to where I could cross the border into Mexico for a few hours. I'm not overly fussed about spending too much time in Mexico, just long enough to have q drink and get a few souvenirs. I'd then hop back into the States and take a train to New York/Chicago before flying back home.

How much is rail travel in the US and am I better to book in advance or book as I go or am I just as cheap to fly

Many Thanks

That's the exact schedule of the Rollers forthcoming World Tour then ?

there is a ferry that runs from Alaska to Vancouver and Seattle, its one of the few publically subsidised transport links in USA

we took a week and did Seattle to skagway, it was brill about $200 DOLLARS (2005 price),you can sleep on deck if you want to do it cheaper, they have hammocks, or you can rent a cabin. you get to visit all the wee towns along the way and can jump on and off as often as you want. 2 hours or two days , i highly recommend this as part of your journey..

you also see loadsa whales and other wildlife...

we did it up the way and flew back from Whitehorse to Vancouver..

Sounds magic, go for it! Great attitude to the mortgage thing in my opinion - no one lies on their deathbed thinking of the house they once owned!

Anytime I've travelled by train in US I've pre-booked Amtrak tickets. By train is obviously a better way of seeing at least a bit of what you're passing through, and cheaper.

My daughter has just booked up for Vancouver. She'll only be 17 but is heading over for two weeks in July to suss the place out and to lay foundations for a potential move there later in 2016.

As for Euro 2016 savings (we must all have done that!) I'm now going to El Clasico in April, Iceland that same week and taking the laddie (half Polish) to Poland v Ukraine in Marseille before our family holiday in Cape Verde. Traveling is the dugs baws ??

Good stuff. If I'm in the States I'd ideally prefer some (cheapish) ground travel and a few stops along the way to some typical small towns

there is a ferry that runs from Alaska to Vancouver and Seattle, its one of the few publically subsidised transport links in USA

we took a week and did Seattle to skagway, it was brill about $200 DOLLARS (2005 price),you can sleep on deck if you want to do it cheaper, they have hammocks, or you can rent a cabin. you get to visit all the wee towns along the way and can jump on and off as often as you want. 2 hours or two days , i highly recommend this as part of your journey..

you also see loadsa whales and other wildlife...

we did it up the way and flew back from Whitehorse to Vancouver..

Excellent. That sounds like a perfect way to get down to Vancouver and see something far different at the same time

Thanks for adding to my headache :D

Edited by DoonTheSlope

all I will say is that there is a hell of a lot of stuff to see in Europe that you could do for the same price!

?? I've done most of Europe already and really want to try something different. I'm leaving my work for 6 months (maybe permanently if they don't approve it) so short of me winning the lottery it really is going to be a once in a lifetime adventure

https://www.ferrytravel.com/alaska-ferry-route-map.html

it doesnt stop in Vancouver, but Vancouver Island, up the top. We spent 3 days in Prince Rupert.

But if u not going to Seattle, that adds to the adventure.

I left my job in '99 and travelled for a year around the world, unforgettable, do it, Just do it. get longer if u can.

the 15 years since it finished have flown in, as did the year away to be honest....

As for Euro 2016 savings (we must all have done that!) I'm now going to El Clasico in April, Iceland that same week and taking the laddie (half Polish) to Poland v Ukraine in Marseille before our family holiday in Cape Verde. Traveling is the dugs baws

been looking at the classic myself, have you bought tickets yet? If so where from, very pricey online I'm finding

been looking at the classic myself, have you bought tickets yet? If so where from, very pricey online I'm finding

Yeah, Christmas present from the wife. It's the full package from LSR Sports (tie-ins with Barca apparently) - flights, accommodation, transfers, match ticket. A 2 night trip was around £750. Dear aye but she's paying ?

Edited by McTeeko

Fair enough, I had the same choice to make when I went travelling. A short time going far away, or more time just going around Europe. I ended up doing a lot of Europe over 10 weeks or so, but obviously if you have seen a lot of Europe, why not go round the world?

Sounds good mate!

Was in Moscow & St.Petersburg in 2014 and both were fab. I had then got the train from St.P -> Helsinki (which wasn't up to much) and then on to Tallinn.

Regarding the North/South Korea border - make sure you plan in advance. You need at least 72 hours notice if you want to do the main tour in to the JSA (Joint Security Area). We didn't know that in advance so had to settle for the normal tour which restricted you to the South Korea side and tunnels, etc. but it wasn't up to much really. It would be this one that takes you right in to the heart of the JSA.

Panmunjom DMZ JSA

I've done most of Europe already and really want to try something different. I'm leaving my work for 6 months (maybe permanently if they don't approve it) so short of me winning the lottery it really is going to be a once in a lifetime adventure

if youve got plenty of time and want to see less well known places, why dont you hire a car in mexico and drive up the coast to san fran and then onto vancouver for your ferry trip?

plenty of famous spots en route but equally smaller places you can stop off in. i found the california coast fantastic and it doesnt have to be too touristy if you dont want that stuff.

Fair enough, I had the same choice to make when I went travelling. A short time going far away, or more time just going around Europe. I ended up doing a lot of Europe over 10 weeks or so, but obviously if you have seen a lot of Europe, why not go round the world?

Dotting about Europe has been one of the ideas in my head but really fancy further afield

Sounds good mate!

Was in Moscow & St.Petersburg in 2014 and both were fab. I had then got the train from St.P -> Helsinki (which wasn't up to much) and then on to Tallinn.

Regarding the North/South Korea border - make sure you plan in advance. You need at least 72 hours notice if you want to do the main tour in to the JSA (Joint Security Area). We didn't know that in advance so had to settle for the normal tour which restricted you to the South Korea side and tunnels, etc. but it wasn't up to much really. It would be this one that takes you right in to the heart of the JSA.

Panmunjom DMZ JSA

Smashing!! Will give that a good look later on :-)

if youve got plenty of time and want to see less well known places, why dont you hire a car in mexico and drive up the coast to san fran and then onto vancouver for your ferry trip?

plenty of famous spots en route but equally smaller places you can stop off in. i found the california coast fantastic and it doesnt have to be too touristy if you dont want that stuff.

I certainly won't be driving abroad haha

Really do fancy the ferry trip though

Well in guys!

And here's me sitting scratching ma baws watching a rerun of the sound of music dreading going back to work tomorrow!

Have a good one wherever u end up. By plane, train or taxi

??

One of life's understated pleasures is a good scratch of the baws. Almost as good as the power shower...

Many Thanks

Rail travel is pish where I am. It's a company called Amtrak and is way overpriced and very few passenger routes travel during the days. The local services do but they are still pish. I've traveled around a few states for my work so far and rail travel is basically non-existant. Flying everywhere is dirt cheap though and then you can connect to smaller local towns on a train from there. Everybody drives or flies here. The railway is really just for oil tankers and other cargo.