Round The World Trip - Page 2 - General Travel - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Round The World Trip

DoonTheSlope

Me and the missus did a round the world for 3 months about 10 years ago. We crossed the Atlantic first for a couple of reasons, less jetlag flying west and the advice at the time was to start your journey with a US carrier as you'll get a bigger luggage allowance which then applied for the whole trip.

Word of warning, check where the International Date Line is on the map. Our planned 3 day stop in the Cook Islands became 5 when I booked the flights!

Edited by Toepoke

I've just applied for 6 months leave from work and now I'm planning on taking a few months of work next year and I've decided I'm going to spend my Euro 2016 fund along with the dosh I've been saving up for the past few years for a mortgage. Who wants to get tied into a 40 year contract nowadays??

Anyway I would be travelling solo and I've got a number of different routes and ideas flying around in my head and one is visiting the Baltic's, ferry to St Petersburg then onto Moscow followed by Hong Kong or Beijing. I've always fancied the North Korean border tour so seen as I'd be in that part of the globe I'd nip up towards Seoul and then to Anchorage.

This is where I've just last night thought about taking a train from Alaska down to Vancouver then onto three or four other cities on the way to where I could cross the border into Mexico for a few hours. I'm not overly fussed about spending too much time in Mexico, just long enough to have q drink and get a few souvenirs. I'd then hop back into the States and take a train to New York/Chicago before flying back home.

How much is rail travel in the US and am I better to book in advance or book as I go or am I just as cheap to fly

Many Thanks

You know you can visit North Korea for real rather than just the DMZ tour? I did it a few years back and its the most interesting (and weird) place I've ever been. Bonus if you can time it with the Arirang Games - truly spectacular.

I certainly won't be driving abroad haha

Really do fancy the ferry trip though

hey Mr Slope, If I recall Correctly the town we flew back to Vancouver from was called Whitehorse, in Canada, but next to Alaska, this is a very popular place for White water rafting and canoeing, especially with Germans, and at the time there was a daily flight from Germany to here. So you could fly from here to Germany and then straight to Whitehorse and ferry down to Vancouver/Seattle,

I am not sure of your plans , but we always fancied doing that trip another time.

thought i would share the info with ya.

After 2 months in NZ I'd recommend it to anyone. Beautiful country.

Agree aboot New Zealand.

Just an incredible country. A was there 5 years ago luckily enough during the rugby world cup as part of a round the world trip (London, LA , Cook Islands, NZ, Australia, Hong Kong, London )

Flying back next Monday fir 4 weeks.

London - Singapore - Auckland. Then train doon tae Wellington fir the 7's tournament.

Pick up a hire car in Picton then tour the south Island. Thinking doon the west coast this time (Franz Joseph territory )

It's incredible and a place you have tae visit. On a side note the Kiwis are top people and absolutely love us.

Cheers

• 4 weeks later...

Top idea and great point on mortgage - no need.

I've done a fair chunk of America and highly recommend it, so many different things state to state but best thus far has been Texas (which you could tie in with Mexico).

Done 14 weeks in South East Asia couple years back - cheap, cheerful and lots to do as well. South America is quality too and brasil is fantastic!

Europe you've done so no point going over old ground. That ferry option mentioned sounds amazing!

Sadly now my travels are down to 7/14 days at a time - but once I hit the magic 30 i'll be trying to take 6months to a year off to live like I'm 18 again!

Enjoy :wave:

Maybe I'm just missing it, but that Canadian ETA visa above, do UK passport holders need one? It doesn't say either way?

EDIT - yes they do, it's under British Citizens on that drop-down list ??

Edited by McTeeko

Maybe I'm just missing it, but that Canadian ETA visa above, do UK passport holders need one? It doesn't say either way?

EDIT - yes they do, it's under British Citizens on that drop-down list

Yes only 7 Canadian Dollars, I applied last week. Authorised in 10 minutes, I

think it lasts 5 years or until your passport expires.

• 3 months later...
51 minutes ago, hairy de janairy said:

you dont need if travelling before 29th september 2016

which is good as im going in august - and u would need one per person !

Aye I had another look online the other day and noticed that. However for only £7 I just bought my daughter the Visa anyway. It was approved instantly. You don't actually get a copy to print off or anything, it's just automatically registered to your passport.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

might be considering doing this 

work threatening to make me redundant - although not heard from HR for 5 weeks

apartment in Cape Town is paid off, so redundancy will be cash in hand for hols & oil industry is in downturn just now, so no rush back to Aberdeen