Quitting The Drink. - Anything Goes - Other topics not covered elsewhere - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Quitting The Drink.

I recently went 3 months give or take a day or two, it was from the Scotland v Germany game to the start of December due to kidney stones and complication and side effect from the tablets I was given and I can honestly hand on heart say I didn't miss it.

The only time I could have done with a drink was in Albufeira when I was sober in amongst thousands of steaming drunk Tartan Army boys

Apart from 2 planned nights out, I was off it for 8 months last year. The other half loves a night oot, so decided to help her through whilst she was preggars. Felt great for it I must say, lost a stone, was out training a lot, and was generally just packing loads into the days.

That's the wee yin coming up one, said stone is back on, and I've added another to keep it company. I'm constantly knackered, sleep is now non-existent. The days are still packed, but for entirely different reasons :) In fairness none of that is to do with drink, my eating has been pretty much out of control the past year. Nothing else to do when the bairn is just born other than go for lunch and then get a takeaway. It's been most enjoyable though!

I'm gonna pack it in for January. Been overdoing it for a while, time to give it a rest. I stopped for six months a few years back when I did my first half marathon, and by the end I wasn't really missing it. Once you stop stopping it creeps back up on you though.

Edited by adamntg

Been weeks off it a few times. Can't believe the difference on a Monday morning at work after a boozeless weekend - worth it for that alone.

I do find Friday nights horrendous to unwind without a drink. Managed it loads but apart from that can take it or leave it.

Last night was my first night without a drink for a good month or two. And that was due to a murder hangover from two night ago. I haven't been binging the whole time, some nights its just one glass of wine, but December really is silly season for social drinking. Nothing planned this weekend so I might take it all the way through to Monday and beyond. I read somewhere that if you can go three full days without anything to drink you don't have a problem. Let's aim for that...

I have been off the sauce now for two weeks, first time I have quit in my life. No saying Im an alky , I love booze. just wanted to see how long I could last. New Years Eve now, and I think im fecked. Whats the longest you have ever gone off the drink when you tried to quit..

I think the rest of your post suggests you might have a bit of an issue.

Deedee there are a lot worse issues in this world than enjoying a dram or two. I am sure u meant it in a good way though x

Yes i meant it in a good way :) I`ve spent a lifetime dealing with alcoholism in the family and i`m now going to be treating people with it as part of my new career.

`First time i`ve quit in my life` and `i love booze` suggests more than enjoying a dram or two. If you are stuck with a booze problem then they are no worse issues in your own world.

I've not had a drink since the playoff game at Wembley in '99.

I don't miss it and it has actually saved me a load of money. I never actually really enjoyed booze if I'm honest. I never really liked the taste and only drank it because everybody else did. Looking back, it was a monumental waste of money.