2016 Tamb Running Thread - Page 7 - Anything Goes - Other topics not covered elsewhere - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

2016 Tamb Running Thread

• Replies 374
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Peterhead half last Sunday - crashed and burned in the heat. Nice course apart from having to croak the main road. Stonehaven half this weekend. Just doing it as a training run though - too hilly for anything else, just hope the sun stays away!!

1 hour ago, Lamia said:

Peterhead half last Sunday - crashed and burned in the heat. Nice course apart from having to croak the main road. Stonehaven half this weekend. Just doing it as a training run though - too hilly for anything else, just hope the sun stays away!!

It's light rain forecast all day. Perfect running weather.

On 3 July 2016 at 5:06 PM, Cove_Sheep said:

Perfect running weather indeed at Stonehaven!

It was indeed, thankfully. That last hill in the forest was a killer though.Enjoyed it so much more than Peterhead :)

Unfortunately I had to withdraw from Ironman Copenhagen on Friday.  Have struggled to run all year with a dodgy ankle and now I have to get an MRI scan on my knee (currently a bit swollen and making creaking noises that it never did before)  Pretty devastated as I was really keen to beat last years time in Barcelona but that required a better marathon time and that was becoming increasingly difficult on the back of minimal run training - never mind there is always next year.

Not wishing to waste my current fitness and swim training I have today entered the Scottish 10k Open Water championship at Loch Venacher next month.  I have swam 4k a few times (incl yesterday at Knockburn)  but never further so this will be a fair old challenge...definitely out of my comfort zone. Looking to swim 6 times a week with 2-3 Masters swim classes, a couple of Open Water swims at Knockburn Loch and perhaps the odd sea swim at Aberdeen beach (really enjoyed that last summer)

If I recall, G-Man does a lot of open water swimming...may get in touch

Well done to the many who are continuing to succeed in various races...enjoy reading all the reports

3 hours ago, Lamia said:

It was indeed, thankfully. That last hill in the forest was a killer though.Enjoyed it so much more than Peterhead :)

Safe to say that yesterday was the least i've even enjoyed a race.

On 04/07/2016 at 9:50 PM, Lamia said:

I really liked it!

It was a nice route, much better than the previous one - it's just my race did not quite go to plan.

To try and get over it, i've signed up for the Dyce Half....and my first Ironman, what could possibly go wrong?

As an aside, how expensive is IM?

57 minutes ago, deecie said:

It was a nice route, much better than the previous one - it's just my race did not quite go to plan.

To try and get over it, i've signed up for the Dyce Half....and my first Ironman, what could possibly go wrong?

As an aside, how expensive is IM?

IM is really expensive....the IM branded events are typically 450 euro to enter.  It is a huge event with extensive road closures (the bike is 112 miles but typically 2 loops) and hundreds of volunteers for feed stations / marshalling / safety /logistics etc.......however I think they do play on the brand name...there are many other Ironman distance events but people like me are enticed to do the branded events probably to say that we have done a "real" ironman....get all the kit / medal etc. Each event typically has 2600 entrants (thats an awful lot when you consider all are in the water swimming at the same time - loads of marshalls on kayaks / boats)

It is expensive but I would have paid more for the experience I had last year in Barcelona.

8 minutes ago, caledonian1 said:

IM is really expensive....the IM branded events are typically 450 euro to enter.  It is a huge event with extensive road closures (the bike is 112 miles but typically 2 loops) and hundreds of volunteers for feed stations / marshalling / safety /logistics etc.......however I think they do play on the brand name...there are many other Ironman distance events but people like me are enticed to do the branded events probably to say that we have done a "real" ironman....get all the kit / medal etc. Each event typically has 2600 entrants (thats an awful lot when you consider all are in the water swimming at the same time - loads of marshalls on kayaks / boats)

It is expensive but I would have paid more for the experience I had last year in Barcelona.

Great to hear, as it's Barcelona I signed up for! :ok:

1 hour ago, Donaldo87 said:

New official PB of 41:55 yesterday for a 10k. Pleasing. The quest for the sub 40 continues. 

Good stuff.

I'm hoping I can finally go sub-43 at some point this year. Maybe Stirling will be the one for that.

Race schedule for rest of this year (so far) being:

Ballater 10 mile

Forfar 10k

Stirling 10k

Berlin Marathon

Templeton 10 mile

And most likely Fraerburgh Half.

9 hours ago, Cove_Sheep said:

Good stuff.

I'm hoping I can finally go sub-43 at some point this year. Maybe Stirling will be the one for that.

Race schedule for rest of this year (so far) being:

Ballater 10 mile

Forfar 10k

Stirling 10k

Berlin Marathon

Templeton 10 mile

And most likely Fraerburgh Half.

multiple-white-dice-black-spots-7666156.?

22 hours ago, Donaldo87 said:

New official PB of 41:55 yesterday for a 10k. Pleasing. The quest for the sub 40 continues. 

Great effort. I managed just over 42 minutes at start of year - Im determined Im going sub-40 by end of the year but it's a f***er of a time to beat.

Ran the Half DRAM this morning in around 1h38. For an overall downhill course, found it more difficult than I remember. First two miles tough uphill and the A92 at 9-11 miles can go f*** itself - torture. 

In general though, a decent run. A bit different to most halfs.

Would recommend the Fort William marathon as an ideal long mid-summer 'E' run to prepare for your Autumn main event.

They had a bit of a disaster with signs meaning all the elite runners did about 3 miles extra, but luckily I was running right behind a local at that junction.

5 hours ago, deecie said:

Would recommend the Fort William marathon as an ideal long mid-summer 'E' run to prepare for your Autumn main event.

They had a bit of a disaster with signs meaning all the elite runners did about 3 miles extra, but luckily I was running right behind a local at that junction.

Ouch!

12 hours ago, deecie said:

I know one of those poor souls! I can't begin to get my head round how I would cope with that!

Ballater 10 mile race was interesting. Tough hill and track sections but at least it wasn't hot which would have killed me off I think. Was a minute quicker than the flat icy Lossie Turkey trot so happy enough and I kept going which I have been struggling to do for the half marathons - having a few mental battles this year.