2016 Tamb Running Thread - Page 10 - Anything Goes - Other topics not covered elsewhere - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

2016 Tamb Running Thread

3 hours ago, Lamia said:

Ohhh, hadn't seen that one before although it is the same day as the Lossie 10 mile Turkey Trott. Hmmm another dilemma! :unsure:

I'm attracted to the idea of a long straight flat 10k - my mate from Parkrun got his fastest 10k at a race over that route in the summer   (about 4 mins faster than Baker Hughes) and I think I'll need something like that if I'm ever to get below 50 mins. 

On a separate note I got my Aberdeen parkrun shirt today from Tribe sports - it's a nice design but I really could have done without the Union flag on the sleeve:unsure: :lol:

• Replies 374
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

7 hours ago, neilser said:

I'm attracted to the idea of a long straight flat 10k - my mate from Parkrun got his fastest 10k at a race over that route in the summer   (about 4 mins faster than Baker Hughes) and I think I'll need something like that if I'm ever to get below 50 mins. 

On a separate note I got my Aberdeen parkrun shirt today from Tribe sports - it's a nice design but I really could have done without the Union flag on the sleeve:unsure: :lol:

You numpty - why did you order the UK one. <_< My one is flagless B) No way I was buying it otherwise!

Back in the days when I was in the Scouts we got a wee saltire badge to sew on the sleeve of our shirts - I may need to resort to that. Alternatively Peter Dow might be able to sort me out, as his uniform always had a few flags on the sleeves...

On ‎27‎/‎09‎/‎2016 at 3:07 PM, McVinceSCT said:

Hi all,

I'm looking seriously to bring my running club to Scotland for a "mountain" or "country" race, and a wee party later in the day! :P

I had a first look for something on a saturday between May and July and not too far away from Edinburgh. The following races look interesting:

- Dollar hill race (July)

- Gargunnock hill race in Stirling (June)

- Goatfell race in Arran isle (May)

- Ben Lomond hill race (May)

- Eidon hills race (June)

Have you ever runned in one of these?

Do you know others races (between 7 and 15kms), on a saturday, with nice scenery?

Many thanks for your help.

Vince.

I've run Goatfell several times. Lovely event / steep climb. Its 10m but the 1st and last miles are flat so all your climb is in 4m. Most of it is runnable but the top is a bit of a scramble over large boulders.

You've just missed the 2 breweries race in the borders, although I think its 18m.

On ‎28‎/‎09‎/‎2016 at 11:08 AM, McVinceSCT said:

Nearly all mountain races tell you to bring a map and a compass, and to wear waterproof coat, gloves, etc...

but when you have a look at the pictures, nobody wears it.

what's the point? Do you only have to show it when you register? And don't wear it at your own risk?

thanks for your help.

Depends on the race director and the conditions on the day. Some races will be vey remote so require it. Its not necessarily wear from the start but If the weather is crap and you have a problem out on the hills who do you think suffers? I've raced many times when its been mandatory when there's not a cloud in the sky!

Full body cover, hat, gloves and a map/compass doesn't weigh very much and can fit in a very small bum bag - small price to pay. I've carried this many times but never needed to use the kit apart from hat and gloves - and they were very much needed part way round an exposed 12miler.

29 minutes ago, College_Boy said:

Depends on the race director and the conditions on the day. Some races will be vey remote so require it. Its not necessarily wear from the start but If the weather is crap and you have a problem out on the hills who do you think suffers? I've raced many times when its been mandatory when there's not a cloud in the sky!

Full body cover, hat, gloves and a map/compass doesn't weigh very much and can fit in a very small bum bag - small price to pay. I've carried this many times but never needed to use the kit apart from hat and gloves - and they were very much needed part way round an exposed 12miler.

Many thanks for your help. We will go to Dollar hill race. Looks like a good race, good facilities, and not too far away from Edinburgh.

Try and get a small bumbag with compressible straps as this stops it bouncing about. I bought cheap waterproofs -some events ask for taped seams but you can still get cheap ones - I've got a Decathlon top and peter storm bottoms that I've only ever worn after a race.

I've entered the Stirling marathon in May. Looks a great route, starting off in the safari park. I mainly do 10K, but feel I need to tick the marathon box. What's the longest any of you marathon runners run before the actual race itself, ive read anything from 18-26 miles and usually 4-6 weeks before. 

10 hours ago, dezmondo said:

I've entered the Stirling marathon in May. Looks a great route, starting off in the safari park. I mainly do 10K, but feel I need to tick the marathon box. What's the longest any of you marathon runners run before the actual race itself, ive read anything from 18-26 miles and usually 4-6 weeks before. 

Yeah, that is about the normal range although some people run less (the Hanson beginner plan only goes to 16 I think) and others do more.

Your best bet for a first marathon is to decide how much total time per week you can devote to your training and find a training plan that is best fit for you, then stick to it as much as possible.  If you decide to do another marathon in future you can work out what suits you personally for next time.

For me, I do a lot of 20-22 mile runs plus one of 24. But I also do at least one day a week, often two days, with a run of about 15 miles.

Edited by Denny's Yard

Another parkrun pb last week. Knocked 18 seconds off my previous best with a 22.05. Not so quick today, the wind was brutal!

Got the Illuminator in a couple of weeks and not sure how I will get on with that! :blink: 15 miles on landcover tracks in the dark. I will be sure not to watch The Blair Witch Project the night before!

1 hour ago, Lamia said:

Another parkrun pb last week. Knocked 18 seconds off my previous best with a 22.05. Not so quick today, the wind was brutal!

Got the Illuminator in a couple of weeks and not sure how I will get on with that! :blink: 15 miles on landcover tracks in the dark. I will be sure not to watch The Blair Witch Project the night before!

I ran an ultra a few years back and thought at the time that some of the sections through the woods were a bit creepy.  It was only afterwards I found out that parts of the Blair Witch had been filmed there!