2016 Tamb Running Thread - Page 11 - Anything Goes - Other topics not covered elsewhere - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

2016 Tamb Running Thread

• Replies 374
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Looking forward to my first marathon at the end of November in San Sebastián. Started running at the start of the year and could not run 3k!  Now managed 3 half marathons this year and 4 stone lighter.

i just wish I had started this 10 yrs ago but even at 43 it gives you a new lease of life and energy.

10 hours ago, jerseybairn said:

Looking forward to my first marathon at the end of November in San Sebastián. Started running at the start of the year and could not run 3k!  Now managed 3 half marathons this year and 4 stone lighter.

i just wish I had started this 10 yrs ago but even at 43 it gives you a new lease of life and energy.

Aye, it's amazing how quickly you can increase your capacity once you start. I only started doing this 2.5 yrs ago and can't help thinking that I wasted all those years before now.

22 minutes ago, neilser said:

Aye, it's amazing how quickly you can increase your capacity once you start. I only started doing this 2.5 yrs ago and can't help thinking that I wasted all those years before now.

Definitely found getting from 0 to 5km a lot harder than getting from 5km to 50km.

1 hour ago, deecie said:

Definitely found getting from 0 to 5km a lot harder than getting from 5km to 50km.

The first few times are incredibly tough. I can remember psyching myself up to run one lap of Duthie Park when I first started and wondering if I'd actually make it. I was doing 10ks within a month and was then at the physio for a month after that...

The main point for me now is to make sure I don't go back to being a couch potato!  Hopefully after 10 months I have broken all my old bad habits.  Even if I cut back running after the marathon I want to keep a decent level of fitness up for 10k and half marathon's.

I think the key is to keep yourself ticking over with 2/3 official races each year. I certainly find that without a couple of races I slip back into old habits and a lot of work is undone. I know I can get the fitness back but it's a couple of months hard graft that isnt very enjoyable, whereas had I kept races ticking over I probably wouldnt have dropped off as much and the training isnt so bad if you maintain a base level of fitness.

18 hours ago, Jon Cutler said:

Aye it was, marshall hadn't got to their station, runners took wrong turn. It was my 1st half marathon, it was good course.

How did you get on?

I was tempted, but couldn't afford to stay the night before after my trips to Berlin and the Slovakia game.

Did the Illuminator 15 miler at Aboyne - trail run in the dark on Saturday and I still can't move. Really different experience to a road race in daylight and very glad I had done some trail/hill running in the dark before I did it.

Really well organised and think I actually quite enjoyed it :unsure:

10 hours ago, Auld_Reekie said:

Bit bullet and signed up to Edinburgh Marathon. Bit steep at £55 but will probably save that in first month alone if not two as I start getting in better shape.

Races are definitely getting more expensive.  Suppose they can charge what they want if they sell out.  Big city marathons here in the US can be up to $200 now.  Really annoying if you get hurt just before and can't run!

4 hours ago, Lamia said:

Well apart from the killer hill at the end and the muddy downhill that followed :o

A colleague at work did it last year - sounds incredibly hard going, especially running through the mud. The elevation chart for the route looks fiendish...

49 minutes ago, Denny's Yard said:

Races are definitely getting more expensive.  Suppose they can charge what they want if they sell out.  Big city marathons here in the US can be up to $200 now.  Really annoying if you get hurt just before and can't run!

Yup.

Never got why organisers are quite so precious about name changes. Don't know about anybody else, but I tend to sign up to things I wanna do.

Was a right arse earlier this year pulling up before 2 marathons knowing that you've spent a fortune on entry, hotels, travel, the lot and you're not gonna get anything back. But oh well, onwards and upwards.

Entered Manchester for next year, and would anybody like a place in the Fraserburgh half this Sunday? 

48 minutes ago, deecie said:

Yup.

Never got why organisers are quite so precious about name changes. Don't know about anybody else, but I tend to sign up to things I wanna do.

Was a right arse earlier this year pulling up before 2 marathons knowing that you've spent a fortune on entry, hotels, travel, the lot and you're not gonna get anything back. But oh well, onwards and upwards.

Entered Manchester for next year, and would anybody like a place in the Fraserburgh half this Sunday? 

Yeah,  I have now paid for London twice but still haven't run it, fortunately never booked flights or hotels.

But running is still a cheap hobby compared to golf or something like that (or even the drinking I would be doing if I wasn't running).

10 hours ago, neilser said:

A colleague at work did it last year - sounds incredibly hard going, especially running through the mud. The elevation chart for the route looks fiendish...

There was only really one muddy bit on the last steep downhill section. It was the hardest bit for me. A decent head torch was a huge benefit and I just walked when it got tough on the hills. I would say it was the most challenging race I have entered although the Bennachie hill race was tough too - it was shorter and in daylight though but I hadn't done anything on hills or trails before it so that definitely made it harder!

I am still a road runner though I find trails mentally exhausting as I just can't look up and have to concentrate all the time where I am putting my feet - I want to love it but not there yet. :huh:

9 hours ago, Denny's Yard said:

Yeah,  I have now paid for London twice but still haven't run it, fortunately never booked flights or hotels.

But running is still a cheap hobby compared to golf or something like that (or even the drinking I would be doing if I wasn't running).

Cheep - you obviously haven't seen my wardrobe :D Spend my life looking at running kit! :lol:

On 29/10/2016 at 11:28 AM, Cove_Sheep said:

How did you get on?

I was tempted, but couldn't afford to stay the night before after my trips to Berlin and the Slovakia game.

I was 1.49.12. We stayed at the lodges at Bagaduish, where the race starts. Would definitely recommend it.,

5 hours ago, Lamia said:

We have been doing hill and trail sessions with Jeni - unbelievable effort. It would have been hard enough doing flat 'easy' runs but the amount of Ultras with loads of elevation she has done in incredible

http://www.scotsman.com/news/fundraising-aberdeen-mum-to-reach-5-000km-target-for-mnd-1-4273613

Jesus - I honestly thought she was about 10 years younger than she actually is