2016 Tamb Running Thread - Page 9 - Anything Goes - Other topics not covered elsewhere - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

2016 Tamb Running Thread

• Replies 374
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

It really is. I've done it twice now, easily my two slowest half marathons. All but impossible to run at the sort of pace you want to as the whole course is so congested. A great event, I suppose. My wife ran it yesterday and then fainted a few minutes after she finished. She is OK, taken care of by the paramedics, but it was a feckin nightmare getting her from the finish through the crowds to the buses, then to the car, and then out of Newcastle. 

Thought it was uncomfortably warm yesterday, there was a guy passed out about 10 feet from the end who I felt really sorry for.

The whole race just seemed like more hassle than it's worth. I had to stay in Middlesborough as nowhere closer was available, had to park in Sunderland, as nowhere nearer was available. The metro was absolutely packed, which was pretty horrific when everybody on it has just ran a half in the sun. I also thought the course was a bit boring.

Still, the locals really were as good as they claim to be, and running over the Tyne Bridge while the Red Arrows flew over was pretty cool. Most importantly though was a brewery about 10miles in had thrown open their doors, found a table and were handing out beer to passing runners, that was much appreciated.

Nice race to tick off, but I won't be doing it again.

26 minutes ago, College_Boy said:

yes but the criteria is not overly demanding though if your planning a 53m off road ultra - just common sense although having said that I'd not have qualified for my first never having raced longer than 18m!

What is the new criteria? Quite fancy doing this one at some point.

On ‎12‎/‎09‎/‎2016 at 5:23 PM, deecie said:

Sub 5-hour marathon within a year.

From the FB page;

1) Entry Criteria

All runners must have completed a race of marathon or beyond. If your longest race is a road marathon, finish time must be below 5 hours. (If runners haven't completed such as event then you must have by 30th January 2017).

Added Info

A road marathon in under 5 hours is the absolute MINIMUM requirement. We don't actually recommend a road marathon as good Fling preparation, and we'd much prefer if folk turned up with a few trail marathons or shorter ultras under their belt first. But most folk do still start off running on roads so this is a reasonably good way to weed out the folk who are completely unprepared for a big trail ultra.

There will always be a few fell runners who have never done anything on road yet are well capable of battering out a 10 hour Fling, and they won't be discriminated against. It's likely that I'll be given the lovely job of sorting them out on a case by case basis. Oh joy!

Here are some scenarios to help folk understand how we are going to apply the new criteria:

If you've done a road marathon in under 5 hours, you're ok.

If you've done a trail marathon in 6 hours, 7 hours, whatever, you're okay.

If you've done a road marathon in over 5 hours but you've also done a trail marathon in whatever time, you're okay.

If you've done an ultra you're okay. We won't be asking about specific terrain or distances or times.

If you've done a road marathon in over 5 hours BUT it was at the end of an Ironman, you're okay. If you can finish an Ironman you're obviously fairly fit.

If you've completed a very long distance trail walking event in a time that suggests you maybe jogged some of it, you're more than likely okay.

If you've done a whole bunch of long fell races that aren't quite marathon distance, you're more than likely okay.

On 12 September 2016 at 3:53 PM, Pool Q said:

It really is. I've done it twice now, easily my two slowest half marathons. All but impossible to run at the sort of pace you want to as the whole course is so congested. A great event, I suppose. My wife ran it yesterday and then fainted a few minutes after she finished. She is OK, taken care of by the paramedics, but it was a feckin nightmare getting her from the finish through the crowds to the buses, then to the car, and then out of Newcastle. 

Wee races are by far the best! I get so claustrphobic when surrounded by people and can't get space. Even watching the London Marathon brings me out in a cold sweat.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi all,

I'm looking seriously to bring my running club to Scotland for a "mountain" or "country" race, and a wee party later in the day! :P

I had a first look for something on a saturday between May and July and not too far away from Edinburgh. The following races look interesting:

- Dollar hill race (July)

- Gargunnock hill race in Stirling (June)

- Goatfell race in Arran isle (May)

- Ben Lomond hill race (May)

- Eidon hills race (June)

Have you ever runned in one of these?

Do you know others races (between 7 and 15kms), on a saturday, with nice scenery?

Many thanks for your help.

Vince.

Nearly all mountain races tell you to bring a map and a compass, and to wear waterproof coat, gloves, etc...

but when you have a look at the pictures, nobody wears it.

what's the point? Do you only have to show it when you register? And don't wear it at your own risk?

thanks for your help.

Edited by McVinceSCT
Ortograph

23 hours ago, Lamia said:

Smashed my 10k PB by 2 minutes at River Ness 10k and 4th in my category. Really chuffed with that one :)

What a great event the Loch Ness Marathon/River Ness 10k is.

Fantastic T-Shirt this year.

Bit confused as to why it's got a price tag on it mind.

Congratulations though! I somehow added 10 minutes from last year.

On 27 September 2016 at 3:07 PM, McVinceSCT said:

Hi all,

I'm looking seriously to bring my running club to Scotland for a "mountain" or "country" race, and a wee party later in the day! :P

I had a first look for something on a saturday between May and July and not too far away from Edinburgh. The following races look interesting:

- Dollar hill race (July)

- Gargunnock hill race in Stirling (June)

- Goatfell race in Arran isle (May)

- Ben Lomond hill race (May)

- Eidon hills race (June)

Have you ever runned in one of these?

Do you know others races (between 7 and 15kms), on a saturday, with nice scenery?

Many thanks for your help.

Vince.

Does it have to be on a Saturday? I'd highly recommend the Seven Hills of Edinburgh race. Roughly half marathon distance (although there is no actual set route) runners make their way across Edinburgh from Calton Hill taking in Castlehill, Arthur's Seat, Corstorphine Hill etc. It is pretty tough, but great fun. Usually on a Sunday at the end of June though.

On 27 September 2016 at 9:35 PM, Lamia said:

Smashed my 10k PB by 2 minutes at River Ness 10k and 4th in my category. Really chuffed with that one :)

What a great event the Loch Ness Marathon/River Ness 10k is.

First experience of Loch Ness event, but really enjoyed it. All very well organised. PB for me as well ?

11 hours ago, Pool Q said:

Does it have to be on a Saturday? I'd highly recommend the Seven Hills of Edinburgh race. Roughly half marathon distance (although there is no actual set route) runners make their way across Edinburgh from Calton Hill taking in Castlehill, Arthur's Seat, Corstorphine Hill etc. It is pretty tough, but great fun. Usually on a Sunday at the end of June though.

We would all prefer the saturday to be able to party on the saturday night. Anyway, i think a light running near Arthur's seat is in the cards for the sunday...

It looks like we will do the Dollar hill race on the saturday.

23 hours ago, deecie said:

Fantastic T-Shirt this year.

Bit confused as to why it's got a price tag on it mind.

Congratulations though! I somehow added 10 minutes from last year.

Ohh noticed the tags but not that there was a price on them. Odd! 

8 hours ago, Cove_Sheep said:

Slowest of my 3 marathon times, but also the one I've enjoyed most.

Definitely recommend it.

If you can't get a ballot place, the charity options are actually reasonable.

Cheers, I'll have a look into that. 

If if you're looking for somewhere closer to home next year, Loch Ness is braw. Certainly preferred it to the current Edinburgh route. Great PB potential as well. 

21 hours ago, neilser said:

Have signed up for the Christmas Canter 10k at Aberdeen Beach on Sunday 11 December - I suspect it'll be run all along the prom, so a chance of a decent time. https://www.entrycentral.com/event/102292

Ohhh, hadn't seen that one before although it is the same day as the Lossie 10 mile Turkey Trott. Hmmm another dilemma! :unsure: