Surreal Managerial Appointments - Page 3 - Football related - Discussion of non TA football - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Surreal Managerial Appointments

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Na, Moyes was an insane appointment IMO.

If he didn't remind SAF of himself & was born elsewhere, he'd never have been looked at. When Mourinho was available, it made it all the more absurd.

Moyes is a shitebag, don't lose first manager. He was always going to fail at Man Utd and he was always going to fail at Newcastle.

I'm sure he'll get a job at a mid table English side soon, finish them slightly above mid table, win Feck all and bore his paying customers to tears. Then tell everyone how brilliant he is and how he never got a fair chance at Man Utd.

The worst of Levein or Burley doesn't compare to Vogts. It's clear we won't agree on this but I do suggest that you didn't witness many Vogts' games.........

Just attended all his home games (plus few B games) and most of his away qualifiers and friendlies (really only missed the Far East tour and Iceland from that period) plus a B game in Mainz.....

if you watched the succession of friendlies (Hungary at Hamden the nadir) and saw Scotland's inability to pass or retain the ball, get anything more than 30% possession, getting played off the park by equally poor teams, and for example, watching Paul Devlin play wing-back then only those closely related to him would suggest he was anything but clueless.

I spoke to Paul Devlin a few years ago - lovely guy btw - he said he had a load of time for Vogts as he gave him his chance to fulfil his dream of playing for Scotland but he was terrible for changing his mind. He said they'd work on a particular system all week in training and then he'd come in on match day and rip the whole thing up.

The fact that what came after Vogts - specifically Burley and Levein - were worse doesn't mean that he wasn't useless either.

Moyes is a shitebag, don't lose first manager. He was always going to fail at Man Utd and he was always going to fail at Newcastle.

I'm sure he'll get a job at a mid table English side soon, finish them slightly above mid table, win Feck all and bore his paying customers to tears. Then tell everyone how brilliant he is and how he never got a fair chance at Man Utd.

When was he at the Toon?

At least Vogts got us to a play-off...

Burley and Levein were completely and utterly disastrous appointments and, in fairness to them, the SFA are most culpable for appointing two individuals who most sane-minded knew were out of their depth in the first place and should never have been in that position.

Out of the 3 of them, levein has to be the most surreal appointment. Burley was brought in based on his stint at hearts. And being honest, i (maybe foolishly) had high hopes for us under burley, but that soon faded away. But what had levein done? As you say, berti got us to the playoffs, but he did hand oot scotland caps like they were sweeties. And by the sounds of things wasn't very organised, but out of the 3 of them, wasn't the worst.

Out of the 3 of them, levein has to be the most surreal appointment. Burley was brought in based on his stint at hearts. And being honest, i (maybe foolishly) had high hopes for us under burley, but that soon faded away. But what had levein done? As you say, berti got us to the playoffs, but he did hand oot scotland caps like they were sweeties. And by the sounds of things wasn't very organised, but out of the 3 of them, wasn't the worst.

As I said to Wanderer, anyone who doesn't think Vogts was the worst can't have seen or have perhaps blocked out the majority of games under him. Nothing under Levein or Burley was as inept as Vogts - I read at the time that Scotland's cumulative possession over 3 successive games with Vogts at the helm, with two at home, still didn't reach 100%..........

Levein made sense at the time.

Had turned Utd from perennial bottom 6ers into a top 4 side who had good cup runs.

Appeared to have a decent tactical nous as well - which was proven to certainly not be the case.

For me he over thought things and almost seemed to want try and prove he was some sort tactical messiah when it was obvious he wasn't the next Rinus Michels or the like.

As I said to Wanderer, anyone who doesn't think Vogts was the worst can't have seen or have perhaps blocked out the majority of games under him. Nothing under Levein or Burley was as inept as Vogts - I read at the time that Scotland's cumulative possession over 3 successive games with Vogts at the helm, with two at home, still didn't reach 100%..........

The two sore games under Vogts were Netherlands and Wales away.... Under Burley Japan and Wales away were much harder to take in (at least when we lost to Wales under Vogts it was a winning Wales side who lost to Russia in the play off's the previous year) and nothing under Vogts as bad as that performance in Brussels where Belgium had something like 15 shots on target before half time.

Vogts saving grace is he took over a team from scratch after Browns aging team finally all moved on..... Burley had probably the easiest job taking over a winning squad who had narrowly missed out in a Euro group that had 2 WC finalists and a quarter finalist, yet almost singlehandly took us back 7/8 years in a space of a year.... Levein at least stopped the rot, but was out of his depth at international football and thought he was some great tactician who over complicated things.

Burley is easily the worst manager we've had whilst I've been going to matches. He took a decent team and made it terrible. That saying, I was pleased when he took over. It simply didn't work out as expected or hoped.

Vogts was very poor too but the squad he had was the worst we've had since we've been in the wilderness. He did reach the play-offs but our group was incredibly poor. We will never get a group like that again. Weren't Lithuania our biggest rival for 2nd? The win v Holland was special but Amsterdam was a disaster.

Na, Moyes was an insane appointment IMO.

If he didn't remind SAF of himself & was born elsewhere, he'd never have been looked at. When Mourinho was available, it made it all the more absurd.

Don't get me wrong, I like Moyes & would love to see him at Celtic. I don't think it's outwith the realms he'd take the job. His stock is low down the road & a Championship job is just as likely now. However, we'd make it even more unattractive than it already is. In addition to having little money & having to sell your best players, Lawwell & Park tell you your back room staff & what players are being signed.

Na, never a job for Moyes. We need a cheap, compliant Yes Man. We have the perfect man for the job just now.

Ferguson doesn't have a very good record when it comes to recommending managers.

Newcastle? Think you're getting Moyes mixed up with McLaren maybe?

Would not say he was totally clue-less, he just thought with us being Scotland that we could win games on passion alone (hence why he would fill his team full of guys like Lee Wilkie, Christian Dailly, Rab Douglas etc.... Guy who might not be the best, but would run through a brick wall for Scotland if asked).

Vogts was a laughing stock in Getmany before we appointed him.

When was he at the Toon?

:lol:

I meant Sociedad. Was thinking about Newcastle as I was going to reference them in the next paragraph, as that's the type of club he'll wind up at next.

Vogts was a laughing stock in Getmany before we appointed him.

That's true but has more to do with how he talks, he's apparently is derided in Germany as he has some sort of bumpkin accent.

He's been a figure of fun in Germany since his playing days, which of course were far from being a failure.

Maybe just blocked it out. Maybe just seemed better because of the playoffs (holland away aside). Burley ####ed up a winning side that should have qualified and levein had us out of the running before our 3rd game in the w/c group. Even san marino stood more chance mathematically of qualifying than us. Dont get me wrong, the start of bertis second campaign was a disaster as well. But at least we were still in it when smith took over.