Tunnocks - Page 5 - Anything Goes - Other topics not covered elsewhere - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

• Replies 233
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest flumax

http://m.thedrum.com/opinion/2016/01/05/build-brand-dont-invent-it-why-tunnocks-british-makeover-took-biscuit

Interesting article on a marketing and media news website about the marketing of rebranding

Build a brand, don't invent it' why Tunnock's British makeover took the biscuit

Teacake maker Tunnocks whole persona is about tradition, family values and strong roots. Its website is old fashioned and the packaging hasnt changed with the exception of the lion for the 120th year celebration.

Ordinarily its branding is proud about the family business and the close association of company and place.

It has never mentioned its association for Scotland but people in Scotland took it to their hearts.

Most companies can only dream of this spontaneous adoption of their product by a population.

That in itself would be something any professional marketer would have built up relentlessly.

Tunnock's has no "Scottish" persona but a cult Scottish following that it should adhere to.

Giving it a non-Scottish national persona the brand is controversially advertising itself in England as 'The Great British Teacake' is foolish. It could have found a better tag line.

The world's best tea cake or Serving exceptional treats for over a century would have worked well without alienating its loyal customer fan base.

Tunnock's has made the brand more British to "fit in" south of the border. This seems like a strange choice when regionalism is on the ascendancy.

It is innocuous enough in itself but I believe it has been built up as a slap in the face of the popular pro-independence movement.

It is also seen as ungrateful for the support that the Scottish people and politicians have given it, most notably at the 2014 Commonwealth Games in Glasgow.

When you rebrand you always try to make sure you do not upset your core clients in search of the new clients and markets. This is a crucial rule of marketing. Otherwise you end up with what is called a 'Polo strategy' with weak new markets and a disappearing centre.

After the referendum in 2014, reopening the wounds of the vote is also not terribly smart.

Company head Boyd Tunnock has said he might brand it as the "world" teacake in other countries but again he is missing the point of branding.

Having multi-tasking branding different in England, Scotland and globally is extremely difficult to achieve.

The fact that it thinks this is possible is a little naïve, as the response from today has demonstrated.

It will make messaging far too complex. Brand integrity is all. Having multiple identities to adapt to market is not very sensible.

It makes the identity suspect and also makes it difficult to cultivate a clear identity in the workforce to create a sense of greater purpose and value.

Roots and longevity are so valuable and Tunnock seems to view advertising as separate from the rest of the business.

The fact that it was a thought by a relative and then adopted shows that no thought was given to it and was considered trivial.

This is a prime example that marketing is more than a good idea. It is joined up thinking to build a true identity based on fundamental values and has to think about all aspects.

I hope for Tunnock's it is simply a storm in a teacup but it should avoid criticising the people who love their brand and say that they did not mean it.

The comments of the patriarch have made this potential trivial decision a major issue and damaged the brand.

The large merchandise selection shows how iconic some people view the brand and that the product has a personal meaning, again a great asset to build on.

My advice for Tunnock's is to build a brand, do not "invent it".

Marketing is a holistic science and decisions should be done in a thoughtful way.

Jacques de Cock is a faculty member at London School of Marketing

Caramel logs are no bad, but the rest of the Tunnocks range is honking. They're are plenty of alternatives available that are better in quality and taste. M&S Red Velvet teacakes being such an alternative.

What the fuq are you shopping in M&S for?!

They were on the list of places none of us should be shopping in; am I the only one still refusing to shop in the likes of M&S, ASDA, John Lewis, Waitrose and B&Q (?)

They were on the list of places none of us should be shopping in; am I the only one still refusing to shop in the likes of M&S, ASDA, John Lewis, Waitrose and B&Q (?)

I food shop in M&S, Sainsbury's and Waitrose, I shop very frequently in John Lewis and my wife works for the partnerships accounts department. Hardly Earth shattering stuff to be fair.

I food shop in M&S, Sainsbury's and Waitrose, I shop very frequently in John Lewis and my wife works for the partnerships accounts department. Hardly Earth shattering stuff to be fair.

Mmmm... Dinner round your house sounds nice :-)

Yeah, I ditched all these places after they waded into the referendum; used to shop in ASDA too.

Now, my Dad shops in Waitrose AND Aldi - talk about one extreme to the other!

For 2 years he was going on at me to drop ASDA and to try Aldi/Lidl for basics (which I've done) but because I've switched for my own reasons and not his money-saving reasons, he's really irritated by that :-)

To be honest, I pretty much stopped buying Tunnock's products after I saw the discussion with the auld Tory kqunt about a year before the referendum.

They had a younger woman on Reporting Scotland who owned her own business and supported independence, and she gave eloquent and detailed reasons for a Yes vote.

Tunnock, in his old school tie, sat there and went on about the 2nd world war and the Queen.

At that point I thought ' it, there's no way I'm giving him any more of my money'. Petty and childish, I know, but he was such a detestable,deluded, rancid auld twat, it's been money not well spent.

So to speak.

Arent the aisles wide enough for you to navigate safely with your replica William Wallace Claymore hanging from your waist?

You could join me in my boycott of Tesco due to their love of zero hour contracts...

Not good, I totally agree.

However, they are just one of a great many.

Ofcourse, it have been good if past or present Governments stamped it out, which would be the right and proper thing to happen.

Back on topic; plenty of other biscuit makers out there to do well out of this; Tunnocks (potential) loss can be someone's gain.