Tunnocks - Page 8 - Anything Goes - Other topics not covered elsewhere - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

• Replies 233
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Now imagine if a British company decides to label its products "Made in EU"and remove the UJ because UK/UJ are not so popular in certain export markets.

The 'made in Britain' brand isn't really popular is any market though, except England and Wales and even then I'm not too sure.

I might have already posted this but in France at least the Scottish brand is good. Salmon..whisky..shortbread. British - mad cow disease.

What the fuq are you shopping in M&S for?!

They were on the list of places none of us should be shopping in; am I the only one still refusing to shop in the likes of M&S, ASDA, John Lewis, Waitrose and B&Q (?)

Marks and Sparks do great meal for two offers.....

Outstanding.

I might have already posted this but in France at least the Scottish brand is good. Salmon..whisky..shortbread. British - mad cow disease.

That's almost the exact opposite of the "Andy Murray effect" (British when he wins, Scottish when he loses). This could be a good marketing ploy? Any brand (like tunnocks) that is shyte we market as British, and the good stuff we market as Scottish. It might also help a wee bit to recover that "British identity" that some folk are worried about losing.

That's almost the exact opposite of the "Andy Murray effect" (British when he wins, Scottish when he loses). This could be a good marketing ploy? Any brand (like tunnocks) that is shyte we market as British, and the good stuff we market as Scottish. It might also help a wee bit to recover that "British identity" that some folk are worried about losing.

Keep up - I already more or less said that ;)

Yes and that's a strange one also. The standard of Robert The Bruce who fought for anything but London rule.

I think the Lion Rampant being used as the Royal Standard predates Bruce by about 100 years. Saying that, it's always been used as a monarchist symbol and the very pinnacle of our unfair class based society. A filthy, filthy flag.

I think the Lion Rampant being used as the Royal Standard predates Bruce by about 100 years. Saying that, it's always been used as a monarchist symbol and the very pinnacle of our unfair class based society. A filthy, filthy flag.

Monarchy and London rule don't go hand in hand though as you've said. I'm certainly no fan of being a subject rather than a citizen. But times now are so much different than hundreds of years ago.

I absolutely agree, times have changed and this heinous symbol should be consigned to the past, especially politically. There was an anti austerity demonstration in Georges Square a couple of years back and a group of folk were flying rampant lions... Royal Standards!!! At an anti austerity demonstration!!! Should have been executed, every last one of them!

The Lion Rampant has been used by the Scottish Monarchy since it was Introduced by King William (The Lion)circa 1165- 1215. ( Born in Huntingdon, outside London, but that was controlled by Scottish Royalty and technically Scotland.... ,

before that it was a boar, an ancient Pictish Symbol.

The Fluer De Lyons around the Lion represent the French as they (were meant to) protect the Scottish Monarchy due to the Auld Alliance.

Technically it is illegal to fly the Lion Rampart if you are not the Queen,

Scotland Fans used it a lot in the 60s and 70's before the Scottish Saltire became common.

I always associate it with a Royalist Scot.

Scotland Fans used it a lot in the 60s and 70's before the Scottish Saltire became common.

I always associate it with a Royalist Scot.

80s too. The flag seem to fall out of popularity when we stopped playing England regularly.

I've still got a bit of affinity for the "big red dug", not for any royalist reasons, it just reminds me of the old days in section J under the huge floodlights...

Edited by Toepoke

Scottish royals being Earls of Huntingdon didn't make the place 'technically Scotland'.

aye, no really. but cant compare then to now.

he could have played for the National Team..... under todays rules..

Edited by stocky

aye, no really. but cant compare then to now.

he could have played for the National Team..... under todays rules..

Agreed: it didn't make Huntingdon technically Scotland but it did make William the Lion technically English... :)