Gordon Smith's Pyramid - Football related - Discussion of non TA football - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Gordon Smith's Pyramid

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Where would championship north get 16 teams from?

According to the full article...

"HAD Gordon’s system been in place at the end of 2015, Rangers, Hibs, Falkirk and Raith Rovers would have been playing with the current top 12 in a new Premiership set-up.

The two other divisions would be:

CHAMPIONSHIP NORTH – Elgin City, Peterhead, Montrose, Arbroath, Brechin City, Forfar Athletic, Cowdenbeath, East Fife, Dunfermline Athletic, Alloa Athletic, Stirling Albion, Stenhousemuir, Livingston, Aberdeen B, Inverness Caley Thistle B and St Johnstone B.

CHAMPIONSHIP SOUTH – Annan Athletic, Berwick Rangers, Stranraer, QOS, Ayr United, Queen’s Park, Clyde, Morton, Dumbarton, St Mirren, Airdrie, Albion Rovers, East Stirling, Celtic B, Rangers B, Hamilton Accies B."

According to the full article...

"HAD Gordon’s system been in place at the end of 2015, Rangers, Hibs, Falkirk and Raith Rovers would have been playing with the current top 12 in a new Premiership set-up.

The two other divisions would be:

CHAMPIONSHIP NORTH – Elgin City, Peterhead, Montrose, Arbroath, Brechin City, Forfar Athletic, Cowdenbeath, East Fife, Dunfermline Athletic, Alloa Athletic, Stirling Albion, Stenhousemuir, Livingston, Aberdeen B, Inverness Caley Thistle B and St Johnstone B.

CHAMPIONSHIP SOUTH – Annan Athletic, Berwick Rangers, Stranraer, QOS, Ayr United, Queen’s Park, Clyde, Morton, Dumbarton, St Mirren, Airdrie, Albion Rovers, East Stirling, Celtic B, Rangers B, Hamilton Accies B."

Lets say Dundee United were relegated, they would go bust if they were their opponents. Simply unworkable.

As for ICT and ST Johnstone having B teams, please, their real teams cant even attract fans.

ICT, St Johnstone, Accies, all get B teams but none from Dundee or Edinburgh.

Was his plan in the Sunday Post contained in an Oor Wullie story?

:-))

It seems the top 6 teams from the development league get a B team included. Pretty difficult to maintain that if your development team is then playing in the Championship. I suppose that encourages a variation in teams.

More of a concern for me would be one down from 16 and one going up from 32!

And why's Gordon still wearing a poppy?...

Edited by Toepoke

One up from 32 is exactly the kind of me first thinking that nearly strangled the Scottish game to death in the 00s.

If it were Division 1 of 16 teams, Division 2 of 16 teams the a 16 North and 16 South with a mix of Highland/Lowland and current Division 3 teams, that'd be my idea. Below that is the pyramid. Have two or three up and down between 1 and 2 based on playoffs. I'm sure teams like Annan and Elgin have better things to do with their money rather than hire buses to the other end of the country for league matches.

1up automatically each from each second tier leagues and a play off here for both second place teams with third bottom.

two up from each of the league below and a ffith in a play off.

the b teams need looked at

but this is an idea worth pursuing methinx

oh aye ''' FOLKS ' '' that'll be right Mr Poke/ :wink2::wink2::wink2:

I would only agree with league reconstruction after Hibs have won promotion on the pitch. We got relegated on merit so we must gain promotion on merit

Reconstruction and expansion is fine as long as it has all been decided before a ball is kicked.

In other words get something in place by this summer to start in 17/18 season. I would also suggest this time a team is still relegated or goes through a play off rather than keep the top 12 then add the required numbers to get to the agreed new figure.

its a no bad start..

Div Wan: 16 teams

Div Twa: 16 teams

then

Div Three north and south each with 16 teams fed by lower amateur and junior leagues if they wish to play with the big boys.

3 up 3 down from every level - 3 teams relegated auto, 2 auto promoted with play off for final place.

the north south divide changes each year depending on where the teams are located.

play each other twice, loss of only 3 or 4 home games....