Gordon Smith's Pyramid - Page 2 - Football related - Discussion of non TA football - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Gordon Smith's Pyramid

64 senior teams Jas?

The main issue I'd have with regional leagues would be that a couple of central belt teams would be disadvantaged by a lot of travelling north. Maybe they could rotate the central belt teams involved in the northern division?

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Reconstruction and expansion is fine as long as it has all been decided before a ball is kicked.

In other words get something in place by this summer to start in 17/18 season. I would also suggest this time a team is still relegated or goes through a play off rather than keep the top 12 then add the required numbers to get to the agreed new figure.

Agree on all points. Any other way is honking.

its a no bad start..

Div Wan: 16 teams

Div Twa: 16 teams

then

Div Three north and south each with 16 teams fed by lower amateur and junior leagues if they wish to play with the big boys.

3 up 3 down from every level - 3 teams relegated auto, 2 auto promoted with play off for final place.

the north south divide changes each year depending on where the teams are located.

play each other twice, loss of only 3 or 4 home games....

That's exactly what I said! A great idea. Well done.

64 senior teams Jas?

The main issue I'd have with regional leagues would be that a couple of central belt teams would be disadvantaged by a lot of travelling north. Maybe they could rotate the central belt teams involved in the northern division?

Depends how you define "senior". We have 42 teams in the SPFL but all the Highland and Lowland League clubs, plus the East of Scotland are technically "senior".

its a no bad start..

Div Wan: 16 teams

Div Twa: 16 teams

then

Div Three north and south each with 16 teams fed by lower amateur and junior leagues if they wish to play with the big boys.

3 up 3 down from every level - 3 teams relegated auto, 2 auto promoted with play off for final place.

the north south divide changes each year depending on where the teams are located.

play each other twice, loss of only 3 or 4 home games....

aye, roughly the same as I said, but put better.

3rd place top and 3rd place bottom should have a play off .

Play offs are good

• 3 weeks later...

No one has mentioned that a 16 team division = 30 games. U couldn't have a third round of fixtures as it takes it up to 45 games

Unless there is an intention for the top 8 and bottom 8 to play each other once more giving 37 games which would work

An alternative set uo (which I've not seen suggested yet) is divisions of 14...

These could have 26 games followed by a 7/7 split with 12 further games giving a 38 game league.

This has benefits above current 6/6 split in that it gives an equal number of home and away games to everyone, unlike now.

Also the leading clubs might be more willing to share top division funds between 14 rather than the more diluted 16 teams.

So maybe two divisions of 14 each with a 7/7 split for latter part of season.

Then a nth & sth division of maybe 16 teams each playing a shorter 30 game season (or 14 teams each also with a 7/7 split) (or 18 teams each playing a 34 game season).

Also there should be a push to include leading Junior clubs in any expanded SPFL.

I prefer the split as it is with only 5 post split games. Being in a "bottom 8" for 14 weeks would be horrible.

There was also the way the old 14 team 1st and 2nd divisions worked, playing each other 3 times for a 39 game season. Not ideal but it worked for years.

A 16 team division could split after 30 games into 4 mini leagues for 6 more games...

Edited by Toepoke

No one has mentioned that a 16 team division = 30 games. U couldn't have a third round of fixtures as it takes it up to 45 games

Unless there is an intention for the top 8 and bottom 8 to play each other once more giving 37 games which would work

An alternative set uo (which I've not seen suggested yet) is divisions of 14...

These could have 26 games followed by a 7/7 split with 12 further games giving a 38 game league.

This has benefits above current 6/6 split in that it gives an equal number of home and away games to everyone, unlike now.

Also the leading clubs might be more willing to share top division funds between 14 rather than the more diluted 16 teams.

So maybe two divisions of 14 each with a 7/7 split for latter part of season.

Then a nth & sth division of maybe 16 teams each playing a shorter 30 game season (or 14 teams each also with a 7/7 split) (or 18 teams each playing a 34 game season).

Also there should be a push to include leading Junior clubs in any expanded SPFL.

The reason I've stopped going to any games is playing each other 4 times a year is just boring.... if the TVs want their four old firm games again, have a super cup at the start of teh season where league winners and runners up play the two cup winners in a mini tournament.... Killie v hamilton 4 times a year... gimme strength,,

The reason I've stopped going to any games is playing each other 4 times a year is just boring.... if the TVs want their four old firm games again, have a super cup at the start of teh season where league winners and runners up play the two cup winners in a mini tournament.... Killie v hamilton 4 times a year... gimme strength,,

I'd like to think the 4 Old Firm games argument has been well and truly neutralised in recent years.

Borrowed from the Killie forum:-

"Another idea that might be interesting would be to use the American system of playing inter division games.

12 team Premiership & Championship, play each other twice but also every Premiership team plays every Championship team once.

So a 34 game league season where you come up against 23 different teams."

Edited by Toepoke

I see your point.

I've been to 2 away games all season, east Fife and Morton in the league cup, as it was somewhere different.

Probably going to go to firhill in a few weeks, as I've not been that many times.

The thought of going to Rugby park or stmirren park AGAIN doesn't really excite me, I was glad to see the back of St Mirren!

or have a Glasgow Cup at Hampden every August to start season off,

Rangers V celtic.

3 would be enough...

I havent missed them at all

fans whinge about too many games and going to see shit games against a team four times a season. This way you onlyget two shit games and the poor petals won't whinge so much. Win win.

The clubs aren't going to vote to lose 1/4 of their home games, which is the main source of income to them. No matter how well you package it!

We have 42 teams.

Add in the top 3 from the Highland and Lowland Leagues or a couple of ambitious juniors for 48.

Make 3 leagues of 16 = 30 games.

Then have 8 groups of 6 for a league cup playing home and away for another 10 games or 12 groups of 4 for 6 games.

Gives each club their full quota of home and away games plus if they're in a group with decent teams finances would be boosted.

Have the league cup in the summer.

Prem 2 down and 3rd bottom in a play off.

Div 1, 2 up and 3rd play 4th, and 5th play 3rd bottom from the prem and 2 winners play off in the final.

Same for the second division.

Bottom of 2nd division plays the winner of the Lowland and Highland Leagues

We have 42 teams.

Add in the top 3 from the Highland and Lowland Leagues or a couple of ambitious juniors for 48.

Make 3 leagues of 16 = 30 games.

Then have 8 groups of 6 for a league cup playing home and away for another 10 games or 12 groups of 4 for 6 games.

Gives each club their full quota of home and away games plus if they're in a group with decent teams finances would be boosted.

Have the league cup in the summer.

Prem 2 down and 3rd bottom in a play off.

Div 1, 2 up and 3rd play 4th, and 5th play 3rd bottom from the prem and 2 winners play off in the final.

Same for the second division.

Bottom of 2nd division plays the winner of the Lowland and Highland Leagues

It's as easy as that. Why can't the SFA/SPFL see it?