North Korea........at It Again - Anything Goes - Other topics not covered elsewhere - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

North Korea........at It Again

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I thought Nukes were now referred to as "deterrents" on the BBC? Or is that just selective reporting?

That seems to be the line the Koreans are taking. This is a deterrent against their, nuclear enabled, enemy, ie the USA, France, UK.

Still seems to be pretty blurred reporting about this, whether it was a Hydrogen explosion or not.

This is a classic example of Western Propaganda in full swing. What's the difference between North Korea having WMDs and the UK, US et al having them?

I think it's the detonation of the device that's causing the consternation though. Especially considering the location of the Korean peninsula...

This is a classic example of Western Propaganda in full swing. What's the difference between North Korea having WMDs and the UK, US et al having them?

A totalitarian nutter in charge?

But to be fair, they won't use them. Their support from China is waning. Unfortunately the control of the people is so total, even if the Kim Jong dynasty was removed they would probably never know about it.

J

Not as good as yours (as is clearly the implication).

Go on, enlighten us.

It seems pointless as I'm sure you know who their northern neighbour is. "We" tend not to deliver democracy to countries that border on superpowers regardless of resources, cf: Iran. In the case of North Korea, UN forces under MacArthur reached the Chinese border in 1950, then it all went a bit wrong. Since then the Kims have become nuked up. All of which seem ample reasons to question your claim.

Edited by DonnyTJS

It seems pointless as I'm sure you know who their northern neighbour is. "We" tend not to deliver democracy to countries that border on superpowers regardless of resources, cf: Iran. In the case of North Korea, UN forces under MacArthur reached the Chinese border in 1950, then it all went a bit wrong. Since then the Kims have become nuked up. All of which seem ample reasons to question your claim.

Regardless of resources, im not sure. The geographical situation is definutely part of the reason why North Korea has held its ground but if it was an oil rich world economy altering nation I'm quite sure they would have been eating McDonalds a long time ago.

Iran probably isn't far off.

There is no difference.

The propaganda put out about North Korea and Kim is laughable at times. We were all told he had his girlfriend shot a while back. That was until she showed up in a band on tour on TV. They just make it up as they go.

This also made me think when I saw it... does not quite jibe with all the the terrible things we are told.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2638213/Tourist-took-camera-inside-North-Korea-expected-really-really-sad-people-shocked-seemingly-ordinary-lives-citizens.html

There is no difference.

The propaganda put out about North Korea and Kim is laughable at times. We were all told he had his girlfriend shot a while back. That was until she showed up in a band on tour on TV. They just make it up as they go.

This also made me think when I saw it... does not quite jibe with all the the terrible things we are told.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2638213/Tourist-took-camera-inside-North-Korea-expected-really-really-sad-people-shocked-seemingly-ordinary-lives-citizens.html

The Daily Mail correspondent said "How can we be sure it's the same girlfriend? They all look the same to us"

A totalitarian nutter in charge?

But to be fair, they won't use them. Their support from China is waning. Unfortunately the control of the people is so total, even if the Kim Jong dynasty was removed they would probably never know about it.

J

We in the west are arguably just as controlled by our governments, if in a more subtle way

We in the West have better haircuts. This is really just classic Western hair imperialism at work - trying to force western hair staples like back-combing, wet-look and the Mullet on a pesant population. We can't exploit their assets (as they have none) but we can exploit their deep (but as yet unawakened) desires to have fashionable hairstyles. Once big Kim visits the first Toni & Guy franchise to open in Pyongyang and the national newsreader sports a Siouxsie Siuox style it'll be like the gold rush. Something as simple as a decent haircut will be the key that opens the doors of North Korea to democracy and western capitalism.

Based on virtually no evidence whatsoever, I am guessing that they have have a major accident and they are trying to spin it as an H bomb test.

Possible. The explosion came from a weapons test zone. Agree that it could be an accident but they have tested before on this site.

Or it could be a genuine escalation of their weaponary.

Hopefully China will come in and mediate a reduction in hostilities in that region.

Think thats one of the reasond the west want to have good terms with china. With all the trouble in the middle east and Ukraine we don't want another war.

Edited by Robroysboy

With all the trouble in the middle east and Ukraine we don't want another war.

You have a serious misunderstanding of Western politics and capitalism. If I remember rightly you also had a serious misunderstanding of the EU and the implications for Greece.

There is no difference.

To be fair, everyone that stays in Pyongyang is chosen to stay there, they are picked based on their loyalty to the regime, their intelligence etc. they are also the best looked after, so it's no surprise it just seems like a normal big city.

The rest of the country is in a horrendous state with prison camps, people dying on the street on a daily basis, people trying to defect regularly, it's a hell hole and a couple of nice pictures of Pyongyang doesn't change that.