Younger / New Faces For March Friendlies ? - Page 3 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Younger / New Faces For March Friendlies ?

MikeyGC

• Replies 137
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Did a similar quote from him not pop up about 1/2 years ago? His name has certainly been linked with us during Strachans time as manager.

Certainly better than anything we have at the moment, but fact he has only 1 cap for England, and has been relegated from the Premiership twice, so he is well out of the picture in terms of what he made out his future England career was going to be like when Levein was chasing him.

Exactly what we want and need. Do hope he gets a call up for the Czech game.

Aye a jobby that doesnt want to play for us but wont get international football for his own team so maybe wants to play for us to make him look better and put his wage up. No thank you bawbag

Aye a jobby that doesnt want to play for us but wont get international football for his own team so maybe wants to play for us to make him look better and put his wage up. No thank you bawbag

If playing with Scotland imapcted a players wage, i'd imagine very few would get a rise.

No way should Caulker be called up. He's nailed his colours to the mast already.

It's ridiculous too that FIFA allow players to play a senior game for one country and still be able to switch to another !

Happens in basically every sport - Unsure why.

Maybe it's a legal issue? Does seem bizarre.

I don't think we can qualify for a tournament with the current CB's we have - Hopefully Liam Cooper or someone else can step up but I expect Strachan is probably hounding Caulkers agent as we speak to get him to make the switch.

No way should Caulker be called up. He's nailed his colours to the mast already.

It's ridiculous too that FIFA allow players to play a senior game for one country and still be able to switch to another !

Agree

• 3 weeks later...

I fancy mcginn to get into this one need to get a young central midfielder into the squad to develop, brown, fletcher, morrison have had their time and we haven't achieved anything with them, they need phased out.

How has Henderson compared to mcginn this season, I thought he was the more impressive of the two from watching you lot at tynecastle the last two weeks

How has Henderson compared to mcginn this season, I thought he was the more impressive of the two from watching you lot at tynecastle the last two weeks

been excellent recently but was a bit hot and cold prior often subbed as he was looking knackered. scored a couple of peaches from free kicks. McGinn has been the better player out of the two but both of them I would bet will be full internationals

I've seen Leeds a few times this season and Bridcutt has been excellent. Defensive midfielder but good on the ball and a tidy passer. Quite fast and good at harassing the opposition. Not sure about Liam cooper. Has potential but not international quality yet.

I've seen Leeds a few times this season and Bridcutt has been excellent. Defensive midfielder but good on the ball and a tidy passer. Quite fast and good at harassing the opposition. Not sure about Liam cooper. Has potential but not international quality yet.

Neither is any of our other current international centre halves! Hence why we probably need to try him out.

4 hours ago, ProudScot said:

Neither is any of our other current international centre halves! Hence why we probably need to try him out.

This. Martin has been pretty solid for us but the past few times I've seen him for Norwich he's been murder. As for Hanley, it seems to be taking quite a long time for his potential to come to fruition but we will have to stick with him.

14 hours ago, Tartacus said:

Not sure about Liam cooper. Has potential but not international quality yet.

The guy is 25 this year, can we please stop talking about players in their mid-20s as having potential.  If he's not international quality by that age, he never will be.

I accept the point that it might be that this is all we have to look forward to as a centre back but lets not pretend we're unearthing hidden gems.

2 hours ago, aaid said:

The guy is 25 this year, can we please stop talking about players in their mid-20s as having potential.  If he's not international quality by that age, he never will be.

Utter tosh. Don Masson was 29 by the time he made his debut and he was outstanding in the qualifiers up to Argentina. Unfortunately his form dipped at the end of the 77/78 season and he played poorly in Argentina but up to that point he was an integral part of a very good side. More recently Paul Hartley was also 29 when he made his debut and he was certainly worthy of a place.

10 minutes ago, flicktokick said:

Utter tosh. Don Masson was 29 by the time he made his debut and he was outstanding in the qualifiers up to Argentina. Unfortunately his form dipped at the end of the 77/78 season and he played poorly in Argentina but up to that point he was an integral part of a very good side. More recently Paul Hartley was also 29 when he made his debut and he was certainly worthy of a place.

Good post.

Colin Hendry was a bit of a late developer too, made his Scotland debut at about twenty-seven - got fifty-one caps.

David Weir made his Scotland debut at about twenty-seven years old - got sixty-nine caps (and would have got more had it not been for the Vogts dispute)

Not all but most central defenders tend to get better with age.

Ultimately, we won't know what Liam Cooper can offer Scotland unless we try him out, and I really hope we do give him a chance in the upcoming games.