Younger / New Faces For March Friendlies ? - Page 2 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Younger / New Faces For March Friendlies ?

MikeyGC

• Replies 137
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I heard from some Celtic fans that Armstrong has kind of lost his way this year, plsying wide.

Would agree with that, not a Celtic fan myself but he seemed to get more of a game last season compared to this season. Played well in Europe and was not scared to run at players with the ball. Seems to have fallen out of favour of recent times though. The potential is certainly there, did he have an injury or something?

U21 have matches on the same day against France U21 and Northern Ireland U21 in European Championship Qualifiers so I'm sure that will be taken into consideration when picking the squads. Obviously those games are more important compared to the friendlies.

U21 have matches on the same day against France U21 and Northern Ireland U21 in European Championship Qualifiers so I'm sure that will be taken into consideration when picking the squads. Obviously those games are more important compared to the friendlies.

All 'A' matches are more important than any U21 matches. If WGS feels that calling up players to the A squad is beneficial to either the players or the A squad he should do that.

All 'A' matches are more important than any U21 matches. If WGS feels that calling up players to the A squad is beneficial to either the players or the A squad he should do that.

Totally agree. Never bought into the thinking of leaving boys in because the 21s have a big game. They're only there as a step to the A team. Get them in if they are in the plans

I have seen Harper many times and I think he is very Special. He has Got 2 very good feet, great passing ability with both feet, great vision to see a pass, scores goals, makes intelligent runs for someone so young, he is strong and works hard. But most importantly he has a fantastic attitude and willingness to learn from what I've seen and heard about him.

Real Madrid tried to keep him and had high hopes for him so I don't see how that's misleading.

I have a feeling that if he stays fit, has a good pre season then he will be a big player for Brighton next season.

I don't doubt he's potentially a good wee player mate, but he's nearly 20 now. I just think if he was in any way special, he'd be playing at a higher level than Brighton U21s.

Hope I'm proved wrong.

I don't doubt he's potentially a good wee player mate, but he's nearly 20 now. I just think if he was in any way special, he'd be playing at a higher level than Brighton U21s.

Hope I'm proved wrong.

He has been injured since he signed and only getting game time a fitness. He would walk into the Brighton side if he was fully fit and probably be one of their better players.

He has been injured since he signed and only getting game time a fitness. He would walk into the Brighton side if he was fully fit and probably be one of their better players.

He's been fit and playing regularly since October for the Brighton under-21 team, playing in 10 successive games and scoring in only two of them.

On this basis you are saying he would be one of Brighton's better senior players and should be playing international football?

Or is it just on the basis that he was with Real Madrid?

Edited by mcnish

He's been fit and playing regularly since October for the Brighton under-21 team, playing in 10 successive games and scoring in only two of them.

On this basis you are saying he would be one of Brighton's better senior players and should be playing international football?

Or is it just on the basis that he was with Real Madrid?

How has he never even made it onto the bench for the first team in that time!?

Maybe he was vastly overrated after all.

Giving the U21 games at the same time, I would imagine it would be Strachans usual squad, with more "fringe" players, rather than full of younger players (though maybe one or two to tag along for experience).... would expect it to be in likes of Bridcutt, Cooper, Boyd etc... in at the expense of a Greer, Dorrans, Whittaker etc.... with maybe a "surprise" like Mowatt added in, along with the likes of a Callum Paterson and John McGinn tagging along.

Giving the U21 games at the same time, I would imagine it would be Strachans usual squad, with more "fringe" players, rather than full of younger players (though maybe one or two to tag along for experience).... would expect it to be in likes of Bridcutt, Cooper, Boyd etc... in at the expense of a Greer, Dorrans, Whittaker etc.... with maybe a "surprise" like Mowatt added in, along with the likes of a Callum Paterson and John McGinn tagging along.

I don't know if Liam Bridcutt has been getting his game for Sunderland or not but from what I've seen of him for Brighton he looks like a real no nonsense midfielder. His first half performance away to Serbia was first class

I don't know if Liam Bridcutt has been getting his game for Sunderland or not but from what I've seen of him for Brighton he looks like a real no nonsense midfielder. His first half performance away to Serbia was first class

Yeah thought he was great in Serbia.

Think he is on loan at Leeds at the moment

Yeah thought he was great in Serbia.

Think he is on loan at Leeds at the moment

Leeds took him on loan in November until January and have now extended that until the end of the season. I haven't seen much of him at any club he has played for but getting good reviews at Leeds by all accounts. I think we have better players in that position currently but he's only 26 so got plenty time to force himself into our midfield if he really wants to play for Scotland.

He signed for Sunderland while injured IIRC and took longer to come back than expected, plus with change of managers, just found himself lost at Sunderland