Johnson Press - Anything Goes - Other topics not covered elsewhere - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Seems the sales are down that much the Edinburgh firm are cutting staff.

At least it's editorial staff , better together innaw that.

Too right. The dream of reversing global trends and seeing an independent Scotland revert to newsprint was a golden opportunity missed ...

I know a few people both past at present around the Scotsman group and they say it's a disaster that's getting worse with time. The Eve News is (according to them) down to about 22,000 a day (paid for) and the Scotsman not much more. Eve News used to be a great local paper with one of the most respected business sections in the country in it outside the Evening Standard, but it was cut down then eventually dropped, which probably wasn't a great idea in a city with a strong business community that were very loyal readers.

Bit of a fall from grace for a newspaper group (Scotsman, News, SoS) that used to be owned by a couple of reclusive billionaires and called up the Queen to open their shiny new landmark offices to be now renting a couple of floors in an anonymous '60s office block.

The Herald and Scotsman should have seen the trends coming and merged in the early naughties to create a strong national paper that represented Scotland's interests, not their own. But they were too focused on trying to shore up their own wee crumbling empires to move with the times.

But, hey, we can all thank them for the legacy they created: Roden and Torrance and a few others who now probably regard themselves as being on the fringe of the Scottish establishment.

The thing that gets me is you see little or no objections from those within industry to the worst of their industry. McWhirter is probably only exception. Aside from that, none of them will admit to their many failures or the journalists and editors who have or are harming the reputation of the industry. It's an industrial clique.

I've also never, ever seen an industry that appears to pride itself on alienating/abusing/trolling/disrespecting it's customer base. They are utterly incapable of differentiating the contempt they are supposed to have for those they should hold to account and the paying public.

As such it's hard to have sympathy for them.

I am of the opinion that Scotland needs it broadsheets. Don't care of tabloids and if the Record or the Sun etc go to the wall (unlikely to happen of course with the Mirror Group and News Int behind them). Such a shame that our broadsheets are of an increasingly poor quality - the Scotsman aligned itself to the Tories donks ago and I have no idea how it manages the 30k daily sales (if that?) it still does; the Mon - Sat Herald has become increasingly anti-SNP of late that it is painful to read.

I am not suggesting a Labour or SNP leaning broadsheet - just one that fairly represents the views of Scotland and reports on stories accordingly. it doesn't seem much of an ask.

and whilst on newspapers, am I right in thinking there is a Scottish Daily Mirror? if so, what demograph does that cater for?

I seem to remember Scotland on Sunday arguing strenuously against the need for a Scottish TV news at six, or more generally, a TV news that reflected UK and international news from a Scottish perspective.

Which is ironic if not hypocritical, given that perspective is the TV equivalent of what the Scotsman and SoS provide.

The thing is, I would pay for quality journalism. As it happens, I don't buy newspapers. Go figure. I'm giving money to The National but wouldn't say it's been that great.

Watching how journalists behave on Twitter has destroyed my opinion of newspapers. Opinion was already in decline but it nosedive when Twitter came along and they decided they had no problem being obnoxious c***s to their potential customer base.

I have totally given up on newspapers now. Was buying the National for a while, more out of protest against the usual crap on offer, but it is bland shite as well just from a different perspective.

The building industry used to be one of the main places to find everyone with a newspaper of some description, bought more out of habit than anything else as something to scan through during a tea break. Now though most folk are on their mobiles during breaks catching up on whatever they feel like.

Newspapers are as good as finished.