Berlin - General Travel - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Berlin

Fairbairn

Going to Berlin with the boys in September and after some advice of best areas to stay and a few suggestions of things to do/see rather than just sitting getting pished the full weekend. Suggestions of good places to get pished will also be welcomed!!

Keep an eye out for the little green man at pedestrian crossings - those in the old East have retained the DDR natty fella, the Ampelmännchen. Those in the West are just standard and dull - thus you always know which half of the city you're in. Climb to the top of the dome in the Reichstag and gawp at the various bits of remaining wall (not at the same time). The Museum Island in the Spree is worth a visit; the buildings are still shrapnel scarred.

The old board had a pinned topic, might be a bit out of date (as might my suggestions above).

Edited by DonnyTJS

Going to Berlin with the boys in September and after some advice of best areas to stay and a few suggestions of things to do/see rather than just sitting getting pished the full weekend. Suggestions of good places to get pished will also be welcomed!!

See what I posted on the Hertha Berlin thread in terms of general advice. Am going back next week for three nights so should have some up to date info. Had done most of the things like topography of terror but would recommend the Stasi HQ and also the Stasi prison which is gruesome but compelling.

Recommendation for a brauhaus. Worth visiting just to meet the owner

Leibhaftig

We had a fantastic evening at this brewery restaurant, owned by Marcus and Ilona Wanke. We had planned to have a night on the town, but the constant stream of their Wanke Bräu beer and Bavarian-style tapas was so amazing we couldn’t leave. Marcus was a wonderful host and, with a surge of microbeer restaurants opening up around Prenzlauerberg, this is a cut above the rest.
leibhaftig.com

On my previous three or four trips to Berlin I've stayed in the Friedrichschain district. It's a lively part of the city with numerous reasonably priced bars, cafes and restaurants, as well as good transport connections (although in Berlin, that goes without saying). There are a number of sights and museums around Mitte, however, it's a sterile area and quite boring in terms of nightlife.

As others have said, I'd also recommend the Reichstag, Topography or terror, Stasi museum, and a tour of the Stasi prison.

Additionally, I've been to the German Technology Museum, the German-Russia War Museum in Karlshorst, and did a tour of Templehof airport (all were excellent).

No shortage of things to see in Berlin.

• 1 month later...

Berlin never ceases to impress me. I'm just back after 3 nights. Stayed in a cracking hotel albeit 3 stars just off Kurfurstendam  at Brandenburgstrasse. Was only £25 per night with a cracking bar along the road which offered excellent breakfasts. Best thing I did was book a 3 day travel pass through expedia which I picked up from the tourist info office on arrival at the airport. It covered me for all types of transport in zones A, B and C. It's so simple to negotiate your way around on the underground or overground and indeed on the buses and trams. Would thoroughly recommend the mixture of bars in the east side of Berlin roundabout Warschauer Str. The city is vast and I'm looking forward to going back for another 3 nights at the end of May. Been 7 or 8 times now and still loads of places to go and see. One of my favourite cities. Didn't realise there had been a car bombing until I got off the underground at Bismarkstrasse only to find the road all closed off and an incredible amount of police etc.

On 1/11/2016 at 6:01 PM, joecraigfanclub said:

See what I posted on the Hertha Berlin thread in terms of general advice. Am going back next week for three nights so should have some up to date info. Had done most of the things like topography of terror but would recommend the Stasi HQ and also the Stasi prison which is gruesome but compelling.

Never done those, but seeing as I'm over for a few days before the marathon, and will be looking to remain sober at that point, will check those out I think.

13 hours ago, Exglasgowasc said:

Berlin never ceases to impress me. I'm just back after 3 nights. Stayed in a cracking hotel albeit 3 stars just off Kurfurstendam  at Brandenburgstrasse. Was only £25 per night with a cracking bar along the road which offered excellent breakfasts. Best thing I did was book a 3 day travel pass through expedia which I picked up from the tourist info office on arrival at the airport. It covered me for all types of transport in zones A, B and C. It's so simple to negotiate your way around on the underground or overground and indeed on the buses and trams. Would thoroughly recommend the mixture of bars in the east side of Berlin roundabout Warschauer Str. The city is vast and I'm looking forward to going back for another 3 nights at the end of May. Been 7 or 8 times now and still loads of places to go and see. One of my favourite cities. Didn't realise there had been a car bombing until I got off the underground at Bismarkstrasse only to find the road all closed off and an incredible amount of police etc.

What was the name of the hotel? Due to mental prices the days I'm across, I'm currently in a reasonably priced and located hostel.

Cove, I'll get back to you on the hotel. Kev, I met up with Darius for a few beers when i was over and it was he who showed me the bars you mention in the east side. I particularly enjoyed the hop and barley bar where they brew their own beers. There was a cracking bar I was in near BFC Dynamo's ground but i can't remember it's name. Can't wait to go back in May. At least it'll be warmer. This week was absolutely perishing. 

Got stranded in Berlin at the time of the Icelandic ash cloud a few years back.  Ended up doing a load of cheap stuff, they've got some great museums that I otherwise wouldn't have seen but also went just out of Berlin to Wannsee which was very pleasant in the sunshine.

Stasi Museum was Ok, but better if you can imagine the scenes from Deutschland 83 that were filmed there.

Also did the Cold War walking tour which was fascinating; best 12 euros I spent in the city.  

If you can, get a kebab from Mustapha's - it'll be the best you've ever tasted, but be prepared to wait at least 30 minutes.

For free and if you like architecture, walk up Karl Marx Allee in the old East.

18 hours ago, Hertsscot said:

Got stranded in Berlin at the time of the Icelandic ash cloud a few years back.  Ended up doing a load of cheap stuff, they've got some great museums that I otherwise wouldn't have seen but also went just out of Berlin to Wannsee which was very pleasant in the sunshine.

I went out to the Haus der Wannsee Konferenz on the way back from the game in Belarus in 2005.   An interesting place but not a place that could be described as anything like remotely pleasant.   One of those places that just seems to have an unnatural almost haunted feel about it.  Chilling.

5 hours ago, Hampden Diehard said:

Also did the Cold War walking tour which was fascinating; best 12 euros I spent in the city.  

I'm really tempted by either that or the Third Reich one.

Problem is, I'm thinking it's not clever just ahead of the marathon.

2 hours ago, aaid said:

I went out to the Haus der Wannsee Konferenz on the way back from the game in Belarus in 2005.   An interesting place but not a place that could be described as anything like remotely pleasant.   One of those places that just seems to have an unnatural almost haunted feel about it.  Chilling.

Felt the same when I went to Berchtesgaden. Couldn't even face going up to the Eagle's Nest.

It was about 25 years ago and a lot of the older folk there seemed to be nostalgic for the glorious Reich!

• 2 weeks later...

Can anyone advise where the main nightlife centre is? 

I'm going on a stag doo there and want to ensure we book somewhere near the main hub of bars/clubs. We're only there for about 48 hours so don't want to waste time having to get trains to/from clubs and pubs. 

Cheers.

Had a few hours in Berlin on the way to Prague, and just headed out to Charlottenburg (Zoo area) until it was time to head to the train station.

Alt-Berliner Biersalon (Kurfurstendamm 225) is easily my favorite bar in Berlin which I always visit when in town.... open 24 hours, good beer and excellent food, shows football on tv, and comes to life at night when they put on live bands.

Another good place I found near by is Dicke Wirtin (little back street bar, which was a nice place to relax with a beer).

Also if in this area, go to the 25Hour Hotel across from Europa Center and take the lift to Monkey Bar.... more a craft beer and cocktail type place, but worth visiting for a great view of Berlin from the terrace.

59 minutes ago, Parklife said:

I'm going on a stag doo there and want to ensure we book somewhere near the main hub of bars/clubs. We're only there for about 48 hours so don't want to waste time having to get trains to/from clubs and pubs. 

Cheers.

I stayed in Freiderischtien which is in the east and was a 5 minute walk away from Simon Dach Strasse which had lots of pubs, bars and restaurants. It was also about 15 minute walk from Berghain if you want to go and listen to quality techno for a couple of days.

2 hours ago, Parklife said:

I don't know if there is one. It's a sprawling place...

http://www.visitberlin.de/en/experience/going-out/nightlife-districts

As Mox said, Simon Dach Str. is worth a visit. I've had a good night or two in the area of Hackesche Höfe / Oranienburger Str...

Edited by Toepoke