Poland V Germany - 1 Half In Each Country - Football related - Discussion of non TA football - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Poland V Germany - 1 Half In Each Country

Had a dream last night that Hibs played Raith in the cup and the first half was at Easter Road but the second half was at Starks Park

This has gave me a smashing idea for next years Euros. As part of my big trip round the world/Europe/wherever I decide to go I'm now thinking about going to Berlin for a few days and getting the train to Frankfurt Odër for the night and watching the first half of the Germany v Poland match. At half time I'd cross over the bridge into Slubice in Poland and watch the second half

Anyone ever been to either of these towns before??

Feel free to move to General Travel

Edited by DoonTheSlope

I thought I had weird dreams!

:lol:

That's a pretty cool idea though!

I dreamt on Friday night that I battered shite out of a guy and threw him in the canal off the bridge in Polwarth, walking home last night & whilst going over that very bridge I saw the guy!!! Freaky...

Had a dream last night that Hibs played Raith in the cup and the first half was at Easter Road but the second half was at Starks Park

This has gave me a smashing idea for next years Euros. As part of my big trip round the world/Europe/wherever I decide to go I'm now thinking about going to Berlin for a few days and getting the train to Frankfurt Odër for the night and watching the first half of the Germany v Poland match. At half time I'd cross over the bridge into Slubice in Poland and watch the second half

I visited Frankfurt an der Oder and Slubice just 12 months ago.

Caught the Warsaw-Berlin express from Poznan and got off (and stayed in) Frankfurt an der Oder in order to visit the Seelow Heights (last natural obstacle for the Soviets before Berlin)

There is a decent enough hotel across the road from Frankfurt Oder station and a number of bars/restaurants down in the centre.

Nothing wild, but I was able to get a beer well into the early hours of a Tuesday morning.

I walked back into Poland and back into Germany that night and again the next day.

I only found a few bars in Slubice; the best being a working class boozer (turn left when you cross the bridge, then next right).

There was a 'British Style' pub further and striptease joint.

Other than that, Slubice was 24 hour cigarette stores galore.

I didn't have any great expectation for a Monday night and therefore wasn't disappointed; no regrets.

If you go, you should take the short train ride to Seelow to see the memorial and museum.

I visited Frankfurt an der Oder and Slubice just 12 months ago.

Caught the Warsaw-Berlin express from Poznan and got off (and stayed in) Frankfurt an der Oder in order to visit the Seelow Heights (last natural obstacle for the Soviets before Berlin)

There is a decent enough hotel across the road from Frankfurt Oder station and a number of bars/restaurants down in the centre.

Nothing wild, but I was able to get a beer well into the early hours of a Tuesday morning.

I walked back into Poland and back into Germany that night and again the next day.

I only found a few bars in Slubice; the best being a working class boozer (turn left when you cross the bridge, then next right).

There was a 'British Style' pub further and striptease joint.

Other than that, Slubice was 24 hour cigarette stores galore.

I didn't have any great expectation for a Monday night and therefore wasn't disappointed; no regrets.

If you go, you should take the short train ride to Seelow to see the memorial and museum.

Thanks, that's really helpful. I searched on trip advisor and the like and there really isn't much info around at all. I assume the British style pub is the London pub? That's all that's really coming up on Internet searches

I watched a short video on YouTube and the guy was saying that the Germans use slubice for the cheap cigarettes. It must be handy having a far cheaper economy just yards away from you I suppose

I played a Sunday league game 10 years ago where the first half was played in one town, but because of the rain the pitch was waterlogged come half time.

We went the the neighboring town to play the second half. I wish we'd sacked it at half time, as we ended up losing 3-2 after leading 2-0 at half time.

Thanks, that's really helpful. I searched on trip advisor and the like and there really isn't much info around at all. I assume the British style pub is the London pub? That's all that's really coming up on Internet searches

I watched a short video on YouTube and the guy was saying that the Germans use slubice for the cheap cigarettes. It must be handy having a far cheaper economy just yards away from you I suppose

Yeah, the London Pub.

It looked nice enough, but there was only 2 punters in, so I headed back to the pub I'd prveiously been in, which had more people (and friendly too) but I warn you was a step back in time...

The communist era juke box was nearly 6ft tall. Built of heavy materials, it resembled something evil from one of the early Doctor Who's!

I did the Frankfurt Oder hotel a dis-service when I said it was decent enough. It was far better; simple, but immaculate and about £35 a night.

Like I said, it wasn't a wild night (maybe it would have been if I'd gone to the strip bar in Slubice?) But in Frankfurt Oder I was able to get a drink well into the early hours down in the centre.

There were a few places around a church including a nice, but very smokey, cocktail bar.

There was a nice looking, long, narrow (but empty bar) actually under the church and half-way between the church and the bridge was a bar (in a pedestrian precinct) which was still serving when I called it a night at two or three in the morning.

• 1 month later...
On 9 January 2016 at 10:56 PM, DoonTheSlope said:

Scrap this. I'll just have to make do with being in the stadium!!!

I was lucky enough to be selected in the portal. This game could be very tasty!!!

3 hours ago, DoonTheSlope said:

Scrap this. I'll just have to make do with being in the stadium!!!

I was lucky enough to be selected in the portal. This game could be very tasty!!!

I'm taking my wee boy to the Poland v Ukraine game in Marseille, another potential tasty affair!

(What's the story now with your big trip by the way?)

5 minutes ago, McTeeko said:

I'm taking my wee boy to the Poland v Ukraine game in Marseille, another potential tasty affair!

(What's the story now with your big trip by the way?)

I changed my dates to August to December so I'll have an extra few days to take as holiday for the Poland Germany gam and it will also give me 3 more pay days to bulk my kitty up by holding off a wee while longer.

6 months without any income was just too long to go without any income

Thinking of travelling for 4/5 weeks in August ending in Malta then a few smaller trips in between the qualifiers