David Bowie Deid - Page 13 - Anything Goes - Other topics not covered elsewhere - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

David Bowie Deid

• Replies 333
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I remember watching a Alan Yentob documentary with Bowie and he said that The Serious Moonlight Tour/Let's Dance stuff was the most money he had ever made in his career but artistically it was the worst he had ever been. From what I've seen most of the folk going full Diana on social media love all that Modern Love shit and know feck all about music.

Unfortunately, because the public lapped it up he decided to continue down that road - with even worse results.

I suppose it must be hard to be avant garde when the royalties started piling in for the mundane shit and the record company probably were probably putting him Under Pressure (se what I did there)to come up with more radio friendly mass marketable garbage. That Live Aid song and video with Mick Jagger,Jesus feckin wept, and wft were the two s wearing ? Never mind the famine in Africa it put me off my dinner.

Only a few artists will stick to what they believe in. Neil Young has done this several times. After Harvest was a huge hit, the record company asked him for more of the same. So he did the ditch trilogy - On The Beach, Tonight's the Night and Time fades Away.

Not exactly commercial stuff.

Only a few artists will stick to what they believe in. Neil Young has done this several times. After Harvest was a huge hit, the record company asked him for more of the same. So he did the ditch trilogy - On The Beach, Tonight's the Night and Time fades Away.

Not exactly commercial stuff.

The deaf wouldn't listen to that stuff he did with Nils Lofgren in the 80s

I remember watching a Alan Yentob documentary with Bowie and he said that The Serious Moonlight Tour/Let's Dance stuff was the most money he had ever made in his career but artistically it was the worst he had ever been. From what I've seen most of the folk going full Diana on social media love all that Modern Love shit and know feck all about music.

Ironically enough, The studio version of the album Let's Dance contains arguably the best musicians that featured on any his albums.

Discovered a great live version of it on the Beeb...

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/p03f6gx5

That's braw. Mick Wayne on guitar - another Hull lad. Amazing to think that Brian Matthew is still going.

I think that Bowie began getting his mojo back by '95 & into the 2000s. Outside is scary as but you couldn't accuse the lad of resting on his laurels. Hours is pretty good and I like Reality. Nothing to compare with, say, ten of his albums between '71 and '80 but up there with, or beyond, any of his contemporaries.

Am down in London for work today so went on a wee detour to Heddon Street, where the Ziggy Starduat cover was shot (I'd already decided to pay it a visit a few weeks back, before he'd died). There's a poignant impromptu shrine that has developed where he was standing for the cover photo, next to the blue plaque on the wall. No football tops that I could see though - just flowers, photos and candles. The fans are obviously a classy bunch ...

Just a short stroll away from where it was recorded at Trident Studios is Soho too.

He comes across as a genuinely likeable (and even 'ordinary') guy - the self deprecation and the ability to make people feel at ease in their company are often jettisoned by those who ascend fame's slippery slopes and he certainly climbed further than most. Obviously there are lots of facets to anyone's character but I don't get the impression that the 'nice guy' image was forced in any way.

On that note I read a fantastic account written by Allan Jones of meeting Bowie and Lou Reed in a restaurant in the late 70s:

http://bowiesongs.tumblr.com/post/123406690493/lou-is-having-dinner-at-a-restaurant-in-south

Edited by neilser

I remember the Bowie / Reed incident being recalled in a supplement given away by Melody Maker (late '80s / early '90s - Allan Jones was the editor at the time) - something along the lines of Reed saying 'don't you ever say that again' and then smacking Bowie.

Edit: I've just read the link - a more detailed account of the incident than was in MM.

Edited by Charlie Endell

He talks to Parkie here about the Hull lads from Yorkshire! :-)) (35:30 in)

Ziggy Starkwright and the Spiders from Hull.

I'd forgotten about 'Everyone says 'Hi'' from Heathen which he performs on that Parkinson show - my memory of the album was that it was dark, but that's a sweet track. That album and its follow up Reality contain some interesting covers too. Heathen has a version of The Pixies' 'Cactus' - bit of a dodgy version here with Moby, and Gail Ann Dorsey in a wig:

He talks to Parkie here about the Hull lads from Yorkshire! :-)) (35:30 in)

Really enjoyed that. Never seen it before., what a crackin lad.

Also anyone else think Bowie had a touch of the Benjamin Button about him? Definitely got better looking as he got older.