Bucharest, Any Info ? - General Travel - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Bucharest, Any Info ?

Graham of Montrose

Heading off to Bucharest with the Mrs for a few days. Anyone got any tips?

Planning a day trip to Transylvania but any other must dos?

where were you planning to go in Transylvania?

I spent 5 days in Brasov last January; with day trips to Bran Castle, Peles Castles, and a fortified church in Prejmer. All quite interesting.

Only spent a day in Bucharest as I was on route to Chisinau. The parliament building is worth seeing, and there are a few impressive churches dotted around. There were quite a few streets in the centre which were predominantly bars and restaurants.

Hi there, I presume you will fly to Henri Coanda airport in Bucharest (also known as Otopeni Airport). Taxis are 1.39 lei/km - which is cheap as peas (they might up the price slightly in the near future). The price is shown on the door so make sure you only use these ones. All taxis are yellow. I assume the hotel is located in the city centre so it shouldn't cost more than 35-45 lei. While in Bucharest old town is famous for pubs/bars and restaurants. For an exceptional meal book a table at "Carul cu Bere" restaurant. For a bit of visiting I would suggest "Muzeul satului" (the village museum). Stavropoleus church (the oldest church in Bucharest - you can find it in the Old Town), "Palatul Parlamentului" in Unirii Square - the house of the Parliament - defo worth a visit (a bit deer though). Mogosoaia Palace (just ouside Bucharest).

Transylvania - go to Sinaia and visit Peles Castle. It's easily accessible by train. Bran Castle is nice too but it's located just outside Brasov (bit hard to get to and it's not as spectacular as it sounds - unless It's Halloween - Dracula Castle thing). Sibiu town is lovely too but far if you have to return to Bucharest for the night. Prices are low for both food and drinks. Plenty of shops and supermarkets around. Some farmacies are 24/7 (in Unirii square). Plenty of exchange offices and banks. Bring English notes though as they don't exchange Scottish notes. For more questions and answers don't hesitate to contact me. Hope it helps and enjoy your trip. :)