Films 2016 - Page 3 - Anything Goes - Other topics not covered elsewhere - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Anyone been to see Hateful Eight? Heard it's good but not too sure about seeing it since I can't get it on the Cineworld card.

I've seen it. 6/10 maybe stretching to 6.5. It's about half an hour too long and despite some excellent performances from Jackson, Leigh and Goggins it just didn't grab me the way that Django or Inglorious did more recently. It's worth seeing if you're a Tarantino completist but if not I'd say hang off and wait for the DVD release or try and get a download.

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've seen it. 6/10 maybe stretching to 6.5. It's about half an hour too long and despite some excellent performances from Jackson, Leigh and Goggins it just didn't grab me the way that Django or Inglorious did more recently. It's worth seeing if you're a Tarantino completist but if not I'd say hang off and wait for the DVD release or try and get a download.

Looking at his list of films I've only seen Pulp Fiction and Kill Bill so definitely not a completist.

Read Shantaram years ago when it first came out, even recommended it on here. Although I did start to doubt how much a true story it was but can't recall why now.

Regarding the films I am going to have to plead the fifth on that one.

Aye he has admitted himself, in interviews that a lot of the characters/dialogue are made up, to make the story a bit more compelling to the reader. So maybe that's why?

Have a wee read at this http://hubpages.com/literature/Shantaram1 it's a letter he wrote to a disgruntled reader on this very subject.

I've got the sequel, which he refers to as the 'third' book, but haven't started it yet. I was under the impression that this was entirely fictional bit appears maybe not. The 'first' book should be good, when its released.

Been in 4 times in the last week.

Star Wars at the IMAX in 3D - Had already seen but was my first time at the Science Centre so really enjoyed the 3D and the size of the screen.

Creed - Went to see this last Friday. Pretty good and agree with Louch that Sly was excellent. Had a wee laugh to ourselves when they mentioned 100,000 being at the fight considering the location.

The Revenant - Went to see this on Monday and wasn't sure what to expect as I wasn't too keen on the trailer. Maybe a wee bit too long but looked amazing and will probably go and see it again.

Joy - Went to this yesterday and the highlight was probably having the screen to ourselves. Nothing too exciting

Anyone been to see Hateful Eight? Heard it's good but not too sure about seeing it since I can't get it on the Cineworld card.

Creed was great. I hope Stallone wins the Oscar for his performance.

Revenant was technically well shot but It was an hour too long and I was sat there wishing ill on the Leo lad because he shot the bear. 'Mon the big wild bear!!!!

Joy was a pile of utter pish. How on earth that has been nominated for any Oscars is beyond me. Utter garbage.

I saw Hector just before Chrimbo and it was miles better than both Joy and The Revenant.

Another film that was more worthy of Oscar nominations than Joy is Sicario.

I'm off to see the Big Short at the weekend as I continue my way through all the Oscar nominees

Saw Room the other day, and thought it was incredible. Outstanding performance from Brie Larson, who's got a well-deserved Oscar nom for it. Thought the kid in it playing her son was fantastic as well. Well worth a watch.

Also saw In The Heart Of The Sea last week. Decent enough, but nothing to write home about really.

Booked to see Creed, The Revenant, Joy, The 5th Wave and Our Brand Is Crisis in the next couple of weeks - the joys of a Cineworld card. Not expecting much from the last two, but nothing else to do in January when money's low!

Saw Room the other day, and thought it was incredible. Outstanding performance from Brie Larson, who's got a well-deserved Oscar nom for it. Thought the kid in it playing her son was fantastic as well. Well worth a watch.

Also saw In The Heart Of The Sea last week. Decent enough, but nothing to write home about really.

Booked to see Creed, The Revenant, Joy, The 5th Wave and Our Brand Is Crisis in the next couple of weeks - the joys of a Cineworld card. Not expecting much from the last two, but nothing else to do in January when money's low!

She's in a film called short term 12 as a support worker for kids in a group home. Worth a watch, she's brilliant in that as well.

I saw The Big Short today. It's much more enjoyable than The Revenant.

I've seen all the best picture nominees with the exception of Brooklyn and Spotlight. My favourite out of the ones I've seen is The Big Short. But I'm looking forward to seeing Spotlight

Seen The Revenant last night and thought it was excellent. Despite only speaking about 30 words in the entire movie Di Caprio is fantastic and there's also another tremendous performance from Tom Hardy as well as young Will Poulter. The star of the whole movie though is the cinematography as it looks absolutely stunning.

Seen The Revenant last night and thought it was excellent. Despite only speaking about 30 words in the entire movie Di Caprio is fantastic and there's also another tremendous performance from Tom Hardy as well as young Will Poulter. The star of the whole movie though is the cinematography as it looks absolutely stunning.

The stars of the film were the bears. The bears are much more deserving of Oscars than mumble man Hardy and di Caprio. :)

Cinematography, direction and set design were great in The Revenant but I thought the Big Short was a far more enjoyable film

• 2 weeks later...

Recently I've seen, Creed, Hateful 8 and The Revenant.

Expected to enjoy The Revenant more than the others but felt it was a bit slow and not as engrossing as The Hateful 8. I thought both were dragged out that bit longer than necessary, with the extra footage taking away from the movie as opposed to adding to it.

Creed was so so.

Looking forward to seeing The Big Short...

I saw Spotlight and 13 Hours during the week. Both more enjoyable than the Revenant.

The guy that plays the Hulk was very good in Spotlight and will probably pip Stallone to the best supporting actor oscar.

The Big Short is still my pick for the best film oscar

Edited by tartandon

I saw Spotlight and 13 Hours during the week. Both more enjoyable than the Revenant.

The guy that plays the Hulk was very good in Spotlight and will probably pip Stallone to the best supporting actor oscar.

The Big Short is still my pick for the best film oscar

Spotlight was excellent. The bit just before the closing credits genuinely took my breath away.

Spotlight was excellent. The bit just before the closing credits genuinely took my breath away.

Agreed. Think that part could have been slower.

Great film. I'm 32 so sometimes forget that there was a time when it wasn't widely known what was going on.

The big short was brilliant. Especially the ending.

Agreed. Think that part could have been slower.

Great film. I'm 32 so sometimes forget that there was a time when it wasn't widely known what was going on.

The big short was brilliant. Especially the ending.

Going to see it on Tuesday, looking forward to it.

"Legend". Not new in cinema but new on DVD. Pure pish.

Totally inferior to The Krays starring Kemp brothers.

Absolutely awful. Seemed to be a film showing off that one actor was playing two parts. Really disappointing.

A Perfect Day

Tim Robbins and Benico Del Toro starring. It might have came out in 2015, but seen it on Tuesday night. Both moving and funny as well. Story about a group of aid workersin Bosnia after the Yugoslav war trying to remove a dead body from a well who are struggling with the bureaucracy of the United Nations .

Lots of humour in a dark film, and some touching moments as well, but not overly dramatic - just nice.

Well worth paying money to go see.

• 2 months later...