Home Brewers - Anything Goes - Other topics not covered elsewhere - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Like most real men, I've had the same though.

I've also bought all the kit.

I've never used it though.

Actually bought a bottle capper last week, seemed an essential purchase at the time.

I'll just assume I'd be awesome at it.

Couple teuchters just up the road tried it s few years back...

Pricks.

It's a pain in the arse sterilising everything. Just buy beer. It's cheaper and way less work.

That's my preferred approach to everything.

Except tomatoes.

One day I will grow a decent vine of tomatoes, my token attempt at gardening, but so far a good crop has eluded me.

Oh yeah, and tonight I'm going to replace the plughole in the bathroom sink. Not expecting that to go well.

As someone who used to brew for a living.( I'm sure many of you have had my produce if you have ventured to the Midlands, Burton being the home of British brewing) Home brew can be excellent. They're are some excellent shed operations in Aberdeen/shire taking inspiration from brewdog.

I've been pushing for several years a home brewing section in the grampian beer festival to publicise some of the amateur attempts to drive them towards becoming pro. But due to H&S the chair won't risk it.

As someone who used to brew for a living.( I'm sure many of you have had my produce if you have ventured to the Midlands, Burton being the home of British brewing) Home brew can be excellent. They're are some excellent shed operations in Aberdeen/shire taking inspiration from brewdog.

I've been pushing for several years a home brewing section in the grampian beer festival to publicise some of the amateur attempts to drive them towards becoming pro. But due to H&S the chair won't risk it.

Where would one start ? any websites which would help ?

I don't want to buy the run of the mill "lager kits" you see in various places

Move away from home brew to full grain. Set aside 8h in a Saturday and you'll make some incredible beers.

I'll get back to you with some websites of use, in the pub at the moment so wee bit occupied.

I brew my own but I only do the kits, I'd love to do full grain but I just don't have the time to set aside for it.

Give a simple malt extract kit a shot and see how you get on, I was pleasantly surprised with my first one so carried on and just set my 21st one off fermenting the other night. Most of them have been pretty good and it's always nice to see someone else's face when you give them a taste and it's not the moonshine they were expecting but actually quite a good beer.

My only venture was buying one of the cheap lager kits you see in gift sections of BHS etc when I was at uni.

It was as all going well and I was days away from filling about 24 litres bottles of the stuff. Then on the last day I discovered some ##### in the halls had put soap powder in it.

Also lived next to the shop in Thornwood, as we discussed before Fairbairn, but never once went in.