England Is Getting A New Nation Anthem - Anything Goes - Other topics not covered elsewhere - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

England Is Getting A New Nation Anthem

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I really like "Land of Hope and Glory", it's a very uplifting, positive, stirring tune. If I were English I'd be supporting that. :ok:

Listened to the odious Melanie Phillips the other day argue against changing it after basically conflating England and Britain as being one and the same. :angry:

'Jerusalem' is easily the best of the bunch in terms of both music and poetry, but I imagine people will point to its lyric of Christian mysticism being an issue in a multicultural country, and I can see their point.

I'm part of a network which has a lot non-brits, when we start(or rather they) discussing English(British) culture,they talk about "Christian Mysticism" as a pejorative, along with other catch phrases like, "chariots of fire" "Muscular Christianity" "Gordonstoun" "Empire" "catamite culture" etc etc

I'd never heard any of this before hand. Seems to be mocking the English Culture of the 19th century. They've been saying it should be Jerusalem for a long time.

Ironically and is often the case with the British Empire, the leading example of the time of muscular Christianity was a Scot.

I came away from this and can't recall my point now, so i'll just publish it unedited and without purpose. :ok:

There's only really a couple of obvious choices.

Best sung on the top deck of the last bus home after several pints of finest ale.

Pish and Tiffle if we're going down that route has to be The Clash, London Calling and you Scots could have "Should I stay or should I go"