Are The Media Twisting The Arrogant Ones Words? - Football related - Discussion of non TA football - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Are The Media Twisting The Arrogant Ones Words?

Slightly...but he's not doing himself any favours with the fans that don't like him as he always seems to be whoring himself out

I lost with Wolves in the same circumstances to Crystal Palace. These were chances to go into the Premier League and they were life-changing games.

That is the reason and dont misinterpret me here why Im managing Motherwell and not Liverpool.

If I had won promotion on either of these occasions the chances are thats the kind of place I would be.

Thats the progression you need to make if you want to manage in the Premier League and I failed to make it so thats why I feel unfulfilled.

Very much "if yer aunts had baws" anyway, he lost in the semi, not on a penalty shoot out in the final or anything like that. It wasn't bad luck, his teams weren't good enough to win automatic promotion or the play offs.

He is a decent manager in my opinion, but my god, what an ego the guy has! If he could keep that arrogance to himself and just do the job I'd like him a lot more!

I am a Motherwell fan and cant stick the guy at all, i havent been to many games at all over the last few years anyway as cant afford it anymore and keep my money now for Scotland home and away games but i wouldnt be going back until hes gone anyway, even thought the results we are getting are an improvment. i honestly cant take to the guy at all, so arrogant and always touting himself for bigger jobs and disrespecting the club and fans who are paying his wages, utter Twat!!

When appointed Aberdeen manager he says he deserved the Celtic job but ended up at Aberdeen instead and it went downhill from there. He even said after losing to Celtic 9-0 "aye but they only get 3 points." He's nothing short of delusional.

He never actually moved from Brighton and instead chose to fly up during the week for training and games. Straight after games on a Saturday he was on the next flight home with Scott Leitch doing a similar bolt to get away from Aberdeen as fast as possible which left Colin Meldrum (GK coach) to take the Sunday recovery sessions!!

Heard a few rumours about him as well which sound typical of his attitude... one was he tries to get the Scotland players to call him "gaffer" as well as Strachan!! You really could see him trying to implement that one amongst the camp...

I am a Motherwell fan and cant stick the guy at all, i havent been to many games at all over the last few years anyway as cant afford it anymore and keep my money now for Scotland home and away games but i wouldnt be going back until hes gone anyway, even thought the results we are getting are an improvment. i honestly cant take to the guy at all, so arrogant and always touting himself for bigger jobs and disrespecting the club and fans who are paying his wages, utter Twat!!

So if we get to the scottish cup final you wont go?

Had a look at who had won the play offs since 1997 when McGhee was 1st involved in the play offs, and there's little to suggest McGhee would be managing Liverpool or similar had he won.

The general trend seems to be, go straight back down, at best get another season, don't bounce straight back, get sacked.

Brendan Rodgers did manage Liverpool, but seems the exception to the rule.....

2015 Norwich City - Alex Neil - still in charge

2014 QPR - Harry Redknapp - "resigned" February 2015 -unemployed

2013 Crystal palace- Ian holloway - mutual consent - October 2013 -millwall

2012 West Ham - Sam allerdyce - sacked may 2015 - Sunderland

2011 Swansea - Brendan Rodgers left for Liverpool - unemployed

2010 Blackpool - Ian holloway again

2009 Burnley - Owen coyle - left for Bolton - Houston Dynamo

2008 hull - Phil brown - sacked march 2010 - Southend

2007 derby county - Billy Davies - sacked November 2007 - unemployed

2006 Watford - ady boothroyd - left November 2008 - England u20

2005 Alan Pardew - West Ham - sacked December 2006 - crystal palace

2004 Ian Dowie - crystal palace - sacked may 2006 -unemployed

2003 wolves - Davie Jones - sacked November 2004 - unemployed

2002 Birmingham City - Steve Bruce- left 2007 - hull city

2001 Bolton- Sam allerdyce- left 2007 Newcastle - Sunderland

2000 Ipswich - George Burley - sacked 2002 -unemployed

1999 Watford - graham Taylor - retired 2001

1998 Charlton Alan curbishley - left 2007 -unemployed

1997 crystal palace Steve coppell - moved upstairs 1998 -unemployed.

I'm from Hamilton and think you're right :unsure:

How do people not see how bad he is?

I don't think he's a bad manager. He did a good job in his 1st spell at Motherwell and there's been a marked improvement this time.

He had a poor time at Aberdeen, but had good spells with Wolves and Brighton too.

Question for the Motherwell fans is.. Would you prefer a manager who is a dislikable khunt but keeps you in the hunt for possible top six, etc, etc.

or... a "Mr nice guy" who struggles to keep you up?

Barraclough was a nice guy, useless manager and ultimately we were glad to see the back of him.

Mark McGhee has made us much better and even though he splits opinion as a person, as a manager, he's doing well, so most will overlook it. Probably would lead to less patience if things went wrong though.

Sounds like a lovely guy.

However if some of his obvious arrogance had rubbed off on some of the Scotland players and they'd taken a bit of swagger onto the pitch and channelled it correctly instead of shitting ourselves and lacking confidence in the closing stages of games we might've done slightly better?

He clearly thinks he is better than he is, I wish some of our players did too.

Edited by DaveyDenoon

In his 1st spell at Motherwell he made some good points on the psychology of things like playing away from home, and how it should be no different. I think he does try and instill confidence in his players that they can go to tynecastle and win (as an example). Shites all over the defeatist attitude that emanated from Stuart McCall at times.

My only real gripe with him is the fact he's always flashing his knickers at other clubs, and gives off the impression that he feels managing Motherwell is beneath him.