Is Donald Trump's Campaign A Spoof? - Page 41 - Anything Goes - Other topics not covered elsewhere - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Is Donald Trump's Campaign A Spoof?

1 minute ago, biffer said:

Tha Baltics will be first on the list for Putin. Also militarising Belarus, activity on the border with Poland, extreme crackdowns in the south against nationalists. 

Decent. That should make qualifying for the Euros easier.

10 minutes ago, biffer said:

Tha Baltics will be first on the list for Putin. Also militarising Belarus, activity on the border with Poland, extreme crackdowns in the south against nationalists. 

I was in Estonia two weeks ago and by the Friday afternoon there was more and more soldiers walking, they weren't patrolling the streets but I reckon they all maybe got the call to report for duty. I could be wrong but it was weird how they all appeared at once 

19 minutes ago, Parklife said:

:lol: 

Your position and comments are illogical. In your election of "fear of immigration and muslims" - the losing candidate voted to build 700 miles of fence between Mexico and the USA and has been part of a political elite and government who have killed/injured/displaced millions of muslims in the middle east. 

Stick to the Fear thing from Trump for a minute. Was this not hitting home and playing on people's fears?

“When Mexico sends its people, they’re not sending their best. They’re not sending you. They’re not sending you. They’re sending people that have lots of problems, and they’re bringing those problems with us. They’re bringing drugs. They’re bringing crime. They’re rapists. And some, I assume, are good people.”

or

“I can never apologize for the truth. I don’t mind apologizing for things. But I can’t apologize for the truth. I said tremendous crime is coming across. Everybody knows that’s true. And it’s happening all the time. So, why, when I mention, all of a sudden I’m a racist. I’m not a racist. I don’t have a racist bone in my body.”

or 

“What can be simpler or more accurately stated? The Mexican Government is forcing their most unwanted people into the United States. They are, in many cases, criminals, drug dealers, rapists, etc.”

I'm not saying that was his single point of attack, no election ever is. But it's becoming an all to common theme in modern Western elections.

J

2 minutes ago, Bristolhibby said:

Stick to the Fear thing from Trump for a minute. Was this not hitting home and playing on people's fears?

“When Mexico sends its people, they’re not sending their best. They’re not sending you. They’re not sending you. They’re sending people that have lots of problems, and they’re bringing those problems with us. They’re bringing drugs. They’re bringing crime. They’re rapists. And some, I assume, are good people.”

or

“I can never apologize for the truth. I don’t mind apologizing for things. But I can’t apologize for the truth. I said tremendous crime is coming across. Everybody knows that’s true. And it’s happening all the time. So, why, when I mention, all of a sudden I’m a racist. I’m not a racist. I don’t have a racist bone in my body.”

or 

“What can be simpler or more accurately stated? The Mexican Government is forcing their most unwanted people into the United States. They are, in many cases, criminals, drug dealers, rapists, etc.”

I'm not saying that was his single point of attack, no election ever is. But it's becoming an all to common theme in modern Western elections.

J

You characterised the election as about "fear of immigration and muslims". 

I'm not going to defend things Trump as said, as i've said before, some of it is borderline racist. However, you seem to want to focus on that and ignore what Clinton has actually done while in office. That's your prerogative. The whole of the western media has done it too, so you've got plenty company.  

13 minutes ago, Parklife said:

I'm not going to defend things Trump as said, as i've said before, some of it is borderline racist. However, you seem to want to focus on that and ignore what Clinton has actually done while in office. That's your prerogative. The whole of the western media has done it too, so you've got plenty company.  

:o

The media pish that folk lap up about Trump is only rivaled in quantity by the media pish that folk lap up about Putin. Which is something they Trump & Putin will have in common from the start and I think they will be able to empathize and joke about each others treatment by the western mainstream media. But more than just that both are very similar men and both are people who genuinely love their own country and it's people and want to do the best for them. Both are workaholics and both are results men. Personally I think they will get along famously and it will usher a period of peace and cooperation between the US and Russia, assuming the military industrial complex does not blow Trump's brains out the back of his head with his wife sitting next to him which is possible. Putin will seize the chance of peace if offered it. compared to Clinton this is dream come true and not because Trump will be a soft touch far from it but he will be logical and fair minded and that is all Putin will ask or need to make deals with Trump. Personally I feel a tremendous sense of relief at Trump's win with regard to Russia. By the time Trump and Putin get done they will probably deserve the Nobel peace prize unlike the charlatan who got one before he even did anything.

What I do think is possible between now and him taking control is something similar to what happened during that time when Obama's was president elect which was IIRC the bombing of Gaza and the killing of thousands of civilians. We will see.

By the way Trump is not racist. He is not even sexist IMHO. Here is is wife introducing him in North Carolina. A very accomplished strong intelligent woman, I understand she speaks five languages. This is the type of woman he marries not bimbos. Look at his daughters he has them running his businesses as he does his sons. All of them highly confident and polished. 

14 minutes ago, thplinth said:

By the way Trump is not racist. He is not even sexist IMHO. Here is is wife introducing him in North Carolina. A very accomplished strong intelligent woman, I understand she speaks five languages. This is the type of woman he marries not bimbos. Look at his daughters he has them running his businesses as he does his sons. All of them highly confident and polished. 

Are you really saying that because he married an intelligent woman and his daughters run his businesses, he cant be a sexist pig?! Aren't you ignoring his attitude toward the vast majority of women that are not related to him? 

It's a bit like saying "I cant possibly be racist, some of my best friends are black".

It will take time for any sort of clear narrative to develop over why the US voted as it did, but I'm inclined to agree with Donny, Trump's main point was not being Clinton. Perhaps a lot of older white men, particularly in the rust belt, wanted a white elderly man to follow Obama rather than a woman. The slow growth rate in the US ecoconomy and in wages, combined with job insecurity and losses (rust belt again) is also no doubt a factor. General discontent with the elite and politicians, and a visceral hatred of Clinton in particular, has been a massive (perhaps the defining) factor. Immigration was clearly an issue, probably in particular in areas where there are lots of white people and few immigrants, but it doesn't really look like it was one of the major issues. Probably the same can be said of foreign policy, although hostility to trade deals and the call to 'make America great again' could be covered by that I guess. In general many Americans don't much care about foreign policy.

Parallels with Brexit seem valid, the forgotten and ignored electorate turning on an aloof and unlistening elite thing. Older people, particularly older white people, turned out in numbers and voted for Trump. And/Or against Clinton. Younger people voted for Clinton to a greater extent, but crucially many either didn't vote at all (through either apathy, or active dislike of Clinton) or voted for third party candidates. Perhaps a lot of the youthful enthusiasm and activism missing from the Clinton campaign was left behind  in the primaries in the Sanders campaign. Along with quite a lot of votes.

This is the most amazing electoral win I can think of in my lifetime, there has just never been anything like it. Reagan shook the tree, but he was an experienced politician, with the whole-hearted backing of his party establishment. This is far bigger. Now that it has happened, it is fascinating and worrying in equal measure to see what happens next. As always much will depend on the quality of those around him, but more so than ever in his case. With a Republican Congress his lasting legacy may be his appointees to the Supreme Court. In the meantime, what he will do elsewhere one really has much of a clue.

6 hours ago, Ally Bongo said:

Do we now accept that the media and pollsters are trying to influence the vote and not reflect public opinion ?

Thats the UK General Election

The EU referendum

The US presidential election

All wrong - Fvck they were saying yesterday that Clinton had a 97% chance of winning

ps - I assume Macy is pumping his neighbour ?

She knocked me back! :-)

Hey I'm pleased with the result. Amazed but pleased.

If a particular or series of parties have been in power for some time and things get worse rather than better then there will come a time when the people just wont listen or believe anything they have to say.

Trump didnt have any of that baggage and was "offering" something different

What that will be we need to wait and see

Once again I am saying I do not think he is a racist or a sexist. And yes I think his wife and daughters exemplify his real attitudes towards women. 

As for the rest of your hysterical bedwetter of a post - more straw men than an episode or Worzel Gummidge. 

3 minutes ago, thplinth said:

Once again I am saying I do not think he is a racist or a sexist. And yes I think his wife and daughters exemplify his real attitudes towards women. 

As for the rest of your hysterical bedwetter of a post - more straw men than an episode or Worzel Gummidge. 

what makes his wife successful?

What did she do before they met?

25 minutes ago, thplinth said:

You what?! :lol: Hysterical bedwetter?

51 minutes ago, Auld_Reekie said:

Are you really saying that because he married an intelligent woman and his daughters run his businesses, he cant be a sexist pig?! Aren't you ignoring his attitude toward the vast majority of women that are not related to him? 

It's a bit like saying "I cant possibly be racist, some of my best friends are black".

IS black..... 

tut tut

World's a safer place (for the moment) with Clinton no-where near the nuclear button.

The anti-Russian bile in the Clinton camp, UK and the West in general is disturbing.

If Russia had troops in Mexico and Canada on the borders of the US, don't you think the US would be placing troops opposite them?....it's the same scenario on Russias borders.

Oh, and Russia didn't annexe/invade Crimea, it's citizens voted to return to Russian rule. It's Referendum was brought forward due to American interference in Ukraine....go look it up. (What you won't find is street celebrations in Sevastopol, Simferopol etc because unbelievably, despite the hundreds of western journalists in the Crimea after the Referendum, nothing was shown over here) But you'll find some on YouTube, if they've not been removed.

Edited by Andy North Croy

15 minutes ago, brant grebner said:

what's the odds on his head exploding in public within the next 18 months?

Higher than you might think. When you frame a person as a racist, a sexist, a bigot, and the new Hitler, you create an environment where idiots can convince themselves they would be saving the world. This is why the democrats have played such a dangerous game.

On top of that Trump is going to "drain the swamp" of DC politics. Some of the big US lobby powers will be feeling very threatened by trump and for good reason. He is a threat to many very powerful and very dangerous forces operating in the US. 

What protects him now is that folk would never believe it was innocent even if it was a bona fide accident.

Nixon was asked why he chose such an odd VP ( spiro agnew?) and he apparently replied "assassination insurance". Hopefully Trump is taking similar precautions.

What you have to understand about Trump is that he is a promoter by trade.This is what you saw originally with the statements that garnered him a huge amount of publicity. He was raw and crude but it worked. People need to remember that Trump is barely out of his rookie year as a politician. And he is now President elect... Barely 12 months later. It is a stunning achievement. But he did it fighting virtually every department of the establishment. It is like Rocky but for politics. I told you his strength is his ability to learn super fast as he goes along. Give the guy a chance he will not disappoint.