Is Donald Trump's Campaign A Spoof? - Page 70 - Anything Goes - Other topics not covered elsewhere - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Is Donald Trump's Campaign A Spoof?

6 minutes ago, Orraloon said:

Why do we get so much coverage of USA politics?

What happens in the USA politically, particularly foreign policy, usually impacts on most of the West - as seen in the last 72 hours

4 hours ago, Hertsscot said:

Am I being really dense, which is always a possibility, but I don't see what that has to do with Trumps travel ban. Indeed he could be excluding Christian refugees from countries like Syria.  The right to seek refuge is a fundamental human right and when the so called leader of the Western world tosses it aside then it's not good news.

I absolutely agree.  However, America is not exactly across the border to any of these countries (putting aside US foreign policy as one of the causes as a debating point).  Is the terms not first point of refuge?

Perhaps the conventions need to be changed now the world is smaller, though.

It's the fact, the US already complete extreme vetting already, if Andrew Neil is to believed, so what more can they put in place?  It seems Trump was coming at this from the premise of America was just letting any refugee in without checks...it's not been the case.  

Talk of a muslim ban is a bit annoying.  It's not a muslim ban; it's ban on these countries nationals of all faiths.  Trump can be beaten on inaccuracy and pointlessness of policy (as above) without exaggerating.

I'm not sure it's just exaggeration - it's the job of governments to produce coherent policy that isn't easily confused or misinterpreted. The Trump administration (on advice possibly of CIA, etc) have identified 7 countries and claimed the list was compiled with anti-terrorism and safety in mind. But a very quick look at the facts show it to be a massively flawed policy with a pathetic justification. While there's no doubt about the hyperbole, the confusion and doubt about the motives mean everyone is left to guess at what is going on - and in the wider context of the last 11 days, Islamophobia seems just as likely a reason for the ban as anti-terrorism. It's the job of the US Government to sort out their message if they want the hyperbole and guesswork to stop.

7 minutes ago, PapofGlencoe said:

Talk of a muslim ban is a bit annoying.  It's not a muslim ban; it's ban on these countries nationals of all faiths.  Trump can be beaten on inaccuracy and pointlessness of policy (as above) without exaggerating.

Correct. 

I'm getting very frustrated at the false narrative that the media are creating and that folk are then repeating as if it's a fact. 

Pointing this out on a number of issues and i'm starting to feel like i'm doing nothing but defend Trump, when in reality i totally disagree with what his administration is doing here! 

10 minutes ago, Auld_Reekie said:

I'm not sure it's just exaggeration - it's the job of governments to produce coherent policy that isn't easily confused or misinterpreted. The Trump administration (on advice possibly of CIA, etc) have identified 7 countries and claimed the list was compiled with anti-terrorism and safety in mind. But a very quick look at the facts show it to be a massively flawed policy with a pathetic justification. While there's no doubt about the hyperbole, the confusion and doubt about the motives mean everyone is left to guess at what is going on - and in the wider context of the last 11 days, Islamophobia seems just as likely a reason for the ban as anti-terrorism. It's the job of the US Government to sort out their message if they want the hyperbole and guesswork to stop.

It's inaccurate i mean maybe more than an exaggeration.  Totally agree, if you follow it through on policy it makes no sense.  At that point, ask more questions.  Saying it's a Muslim ban though gives them an easy excuse to pivot from the detail because it's not accurate.  In the grand scheme of things it's nae biggie really but it helps to be accurate when putting these muppets on the spot.  Farage was sliced and diced by Andrew Neil on Sunday Politics precisely because Andrew Neil was strict on the detail.

Edited by PapofGlencoe

15 minutes ago, Parklife said:

Pointing this out on a number of issues and i'm starting to feel like i'm doing nothing but defend Trump, when in reality i totally disagree with what his administration is doing here! 

Me too!  I kind of warm to the nae fecks given but I recognise he's not a force for good and is pretty much policy for policy extreme opposite to my own views...maybe apart from a bit of protectionism on economic trade.  I would and will voice my objections to him; plenty out there to disagree on without making stuff up.

2 hours ago, Ally Bongo said:

What happens in the USA politically, particularly foreign policy, usually impacts on most of the West - as seen in the last 72 hours

What happens in the EU is quite important too. Yet the amount of coverage EU politics gets is tiny by comparison. Our media and politicians just tend to regard the folk in the EU as Johnny Foreigners and the the USA are our best pals. It's indoctrination, pure and simple.

The media misrepresenting things isn't a mistake, it's probably a tactic to keep the population divided, better to hate each other and Trump of course. 

Not being directly affected it's actually fascinating. I doubt I'll agree with many of Trump's administrations policies but the hypocrisy out there is unreal. 

Clinton backer George Soros is probably behind a lot of these protests, he has a long history of interfering with democracy, mostly in Europe. 

13 minutes ago, Orraloon said:

What happens in the EU is quite important too. Yet the amount of coverage EU politics gets is tiny by comparison. Our media and politicians just tend to regard the folk in the EU as Johnny Foreigners and the the USA are our best pals. It's indoctrination, pure and simple.

I agree, part of the reason why Brexit happened, there's never been much news coverage from the European Parliament in mainstream broadcasts.

1 minute ago, Toepoke said:

I agree, part of the reason why Brexit happened, there's never been much news coverage from the European Parliament in mainstream broadcasts.

Barely hear a whisper about the Republic's politics either.  Closer culturally than just about anywhere. Scotland even more so.  Couldn't tell you much about their political parties at all for example.

1 hour ago, Parklife said:

Correct. 

I'm getting very frustrated at the false narrative that the media are creating and that folk are then repeating as if it's a fact. 

Whilst what you are saying is correct, I'm fairly sure that he would have banned muslims if he could have. It's what he promised he would do. Somebody has probably eventually got through to him that, in terms of practicality, it is currently something which he can't actually do. What he has effectively done though, with the help of the media you mention, is to put up a big sign over the USA saying "muslims not welcome here". He has kept part of his promise by banning some muslims. Lot's of other folk have been caught up as collateral damage but that won't concern him too much.

I'm sure he also now knows that there are about 4 million muslims already in the USA. What is his plan for them? Does he hope that a lot of them will leave if he can make life difficult for them? What about the ones who will refuse to leave no matter what? Does he have a solution for them?

6 hours ago, Hertsscot said:

Am I being really dense, which is always a possibility, but I don't see what that has to do with Trumps travel ban. Indeed he could be excluding Christian refugees from countries like Syria. 

Not that I agree, but Trump said he was going to favour Christian refugees. 

There were comments downplaying and dismissing the Christian genocide which I responded to without pulling punches (and that post has since been removed).

6 hours ago, Hertsscot said:

The right to seek refuge is a fundamental human right and when the so called leader of the Western world tosses it aside then it's not good news.

He hasn't tossed it aside though. 

He has controversially introduced a temporary 90 day ban.

4 hours ago, Orraloon said:

Why do we get so much coverage of USA politics? 

America is one of the countries that has a large say in where 'the head of the snake' takes the rest of us.

4 hours ago, Ally Bongo said:

Religious nutjobs are just the worst arent they ?

I can't think of one good thing about religion.

Threatens China. Threatens Iran. Threatens to send troops into Mexico. Cranks up Holy War rhetoric. But remember: Clinton was the warmonger.

1 hour ago, Ally Bongo said:

Threatens China. Threatens Iran. Threatens to send troops into Mexico. Cranks up Holy War rhetoric. But remember: Clinton was the warmonger.

:lol: 

That's your funniest copy and paste effort yet and that's some accolade, given the volume of them. 

Clinton is a War-Monger. Jawing is not warring

Syrian and Russian forces are already making inroads to Jihar crossroads and the Al-Mahir oil fields, in western Alleppo provinces and also Palmyra, made possible by reduced military effectiveness of the "moderate rebels" (i.e. western forces puppets) which is caused in part by the Astanna peace talks currently ongoing (now they don't have a military option to power, they turn to diplomacy to try and get it) but mainly cause the salafists have been killed or severely weakened lately, with the counter offensives.

There's been an upsurge in fighting in Eastern Ukraine by pro and anti Russian people, both sides have blamed the other for it.

One side saying basically saying Trump is in bed with Putin so Russians started it.

The other side saying Ukraine started it to put pressure on Trumps relationship with Putin, since the Ukrainian government went from Russian to American stooge during the Obama administration via Victoria Nuland wife of Robert Kagan who co-founded PNAC and led the charge into Iraq.

I mention Robert Kagan cause he was McCain's Foreign policy advisor during his presidential run.

Hopefully global politics stay out of Ukraine they've been used enough by both sides trying to gain advantage.

3 hours ago, Ally Bongo said:

He's fecking up Iran, Israel and most other things so plenty of things to worry about, Clinton was a warmonger though. Let's not diminish her crimes to better highlight his. Was my meaning.

Just heard about this now, seems to be a campaign promise. I'm not too bothered with internal politics it's forcing everyone to engage in politics. It's a shit show from everyone atm.

17 minutes ago, phart said:

He's fecking up Iran, Israel and most other things so plenty of things to worry about, Clinton was a warmonger though. Let's not diminish her crimes to better highlight his. Was my meaning.

Just heard about this now, seems to be a campaign promise. I'm not too bothered with internal politics it's forcing everyone to engage in politics. It's a shit show from everyone atm.

Don;t think anyone is dismissing the Clintons as bastardos big-style. But Donald's problem may be (may) his lack of restraint (and probable mental illness).Loads of people on all sides said "once in power he'll be reigned in" - no sign of that so far.

22 minutes ago, phart said:

I know I know

My feelings are although Clinton was a warmongering harpie and probably would have continued to be it's unlikely that her warmongering would lead to all out World conflict of the type we have never seen.

Her warmongering was kinda localised (without defending her)

I'm no to sure, despite all of the Trump/Putin love in that we hear about, that Trump wont cause world chaos

Repealing the separation of state and religion (if thats what it really amounts to) is mental. You only have to look at the middle east to see how that works out.

Im leaning towards it being an over reaction by liberals - surely ?

I believe they are now going to roll back on Obama's background checks for gun ownership too ..