What's Your Biggest Fear? - Page 3 - Anything Goes - Other topics not covered elsewhere - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

What's Your Biggest Fear?

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Dentists.

Always have been and always will be.

I thought I would be scared of falling through a walkway underneath an oil rig,but after the week I've just had,turns out I wasn't.

I feel your pain brother.

My fear is so strong that i've actually passed out during a check-up.

On the plus side, i've woken up to 6 attractive women smiling at me.

Being buried alive or burnt alive! I have told my family before you close the lid stick a feckin great needle in me!

Maybe best you get checked out for catalepsy... which is what...

always remember watching an auld horror film when I was a wean called the premature burial scared the crap oot o me

... the guy in this film suffered from.

Funny, but that film is also one of my abiding memories of childhood. I remember the guy woke up years after his burial in the crypt which he'd equipped with all sorts of escape means that failed him. IIRC his last one was a rope that rang a bell but he'd been in there so long it frayed and snapped when he pulled it. The thing that sticks mainly in my mind about that film, though, was the gravedigger who used to constantly whistle the Molly Malone tune.

The title of the thread is an interseting one, though. I was originally a behavioural psychologist and establishing stuff like this was a key aspect of understanding what makes people behave the way they do. But you will generally get an entirely different answer if you ask the same question using different specific words eg: 1) phobia 2), worry 3) fear.

No-one on here (so far) has listed being controlled as their biggest fear - probably because they focus to much on irrational fear, such as phobias.

Funny, but that film is also one of my abiding memories of childhood. I remember the guy woke up years after his burial in the crypt which he'd equipped with all sorts of escape means that failed him. IIRC his last one was a rope that rang a bell but he'd been in there so long it frayed and snapped when he pulled it. The thing that sticks mainly in my mind about that film, though, was the gravedigger who used to constantly whistle the Molly Malone tune.

The title of the thread is an interseting one, though. I was originally a behavioural psychologist and establishing stuff like this was a key aspect of understanding what makes people behave the way they do. But you will generally get an entirely different answer if you ask the same question using different specific words eg: 1) phobia 2), worry 3) fear.

No-one on here (so far) has listed being controlled as their biggest fear - probably because they focus to much on irrational fear, such as phobias.

that's the very film I'm gauny have a wee look for it

I have narcolepsy with cataplexy... Being buried alive isn't a fear of mine, but I do take extra care with staircases when in public :lol:

How did you get them? You seem like a healthy living sort.

I've had narcolepsy since I was a child but it was misdiagnosed as asthma until I was 12, then I got the correct diagnosis. I developed the cataplexy symptom and a worsening of my other symptoms following a car crash.

Cockroaches scare the living daylights out of me. Which is why I was, and still aren't, a fan of the Canary Islands. They are hoaching with the ####ers.

Still scarred by one crawling down my leg one night in Gran Canaria.

We were in gran canaria and my mum starting shouting and shreeking that a cockroach was crawling on her leg. Turnt out that it was just a leaf that had fallen off a nearby tree :lol:

I don't want to put you off your tea, but your body contains a couple of kilos of wee beasties which are essential to human health. You would die without them.

But some parasites are pretty gross right enough. I saw a video recently of a parasite that lives inside the human eye. They can grow up to about 100 mm long and you can see them wriggling about. Wouldn't fancy having one of them.

Loa loa the eye worm. Yep disgusting.the thought of feeling a worm creeping beneath your skin gives me the fear .

Dentists.

Always have been and always will be.

I thought I would be scared of falling through a walkway underneath an oil rig,but after the week I've just had,turns out I wasn't.

I used to be scared of the dentist. Didn't got for about 10 years or something.

Cured of that phobia now.

Used to be really scared of dogs. Now I'm just wary of them.

Cockroaches scare the living daylights out of me. Which is why I was, and still aren't, a fan of the Canary Islands. They are hoaching with the ####ers.

Still scarred by one crawling down my leg one night in Gran Canaria.

It left a scar on your leg? :shocked: Wow, that one must have been hungry.

Edited by Orraloon

I've had narcolepsy since I was a child but it was misdiagnosed as asthma until I was 12, then I got the correct diagnosis. I developed the cataplexy symptom and a worsening of my other symptoms following a car crash.

How bad is it? I used to work with a guy and he had it quite bad. Used to just drop off at his desk - wasn't allowed to drive or anything like that.

Bonus was when we'd been out on a big one he used to give us his speed pills to keep us going!

Edited by ShedTA

How bad is it? I used to worm with a guy and he had it quite bad. Used to just drop off at his desk - wasn't allowed to drive or anything like that.

Bonus was when we'd been out on a big one he used to give us his speed pills to keep us going!

:lol::lol: You've got worms on the brain, min.

How bad is it? I used to work with a guy and he had it quite bad. Used to just drop off at his desk - wasn't allowed to drive or anything like that.

Not too bad. The Narcolepsy is reasonably well controlled with medication, I'm lucky to see 10pm most days though. As for the Cataplexy, I can't get the medication I need for it staying in Ayrshire & Arran (been fighting with the healthboard for around 6 years), it's alright most of the time, and where most peoples Cataplexy is triggered by laughing... Mines is occasionally, but is mostly triggered by negative emotions, sadness and anger that kind of thing, which is unfortunate being a Killie & Scotland fan.