Pyro At The Fitba - Football related - Discussion of non TA football - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Pyro At The Fitba

• Replies 152
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Personally, while not getting involved in it myself i have no problem with it. Flares i think are maybe taking it a bit to far however whats the safety hazard with smoke bombs? I think they add a bit off atmosphere to the games and think some of the bans given out are a bit extreme. My friend stupidly imo thought itd be a good idea to let off a smokebomb at a raith rovers cowdenbeath match, only for him to be ejected at half time while going to the toilet and was banned from starks park for the rest of the season

Personally, while not getting involved in it myself i have no problem with it. Flares i think are maybe taking it a bit to far however whats the safety hazard with smoke bombs? I think they add a bit off atmosphere to the games and think some of the bans given out are a bit extreme. My friend stupidly imo thought itd be a good idea to let off a smokebomb at a raith rovers cowdenbeath match, only for him to be ejected at half time while going to the toilet and was banned from starks park for the rest of the season

Asthmatic people?

Not wanting to breathe that stuff in?

View of the game being temporarily blocked?

Children getting scared?

That enough reasons they shouldn't be in?

I'd like as strong a line to be taken against folk smoking in the toilets at Hampden.

As an asthmatic that takes my wee boy to games occasionally, this irritates me (quite literally) far more than smokebombs or flares.

I understand why they're not allowed, but I don't dislike them myself.

JS47164038.jpg

It has been a bit of a regular occurrence at derby matches up here in the last few years. Been about 5 or 6 smoke bombs set off in the last couple of games along with the odd flare. I can't actually remember a game in Dingwall in the last couple of seasons where smoke bombs haven't been set off. This is with all the fans being searched and patted down by a line of stewards before reaching the turnstile for the last couple of years. So not sure how they keep getting them in.

I don't really have a problem with smoke bombs. They are pretty harmless and I think they look quite good. Flares are a different matter though.

And as Cove mentioned the smoking in the toilets at Hampden it's like walking into a smoke den. Is that not more serious risk to health, especially for kids who would have no option than to use the toilets.

football is for going mental and swearing and generally being rowdy.

None of this family nonsense.

No wonder young teams up in the highlands won't support their local clubs when they tow that line. The youth of today want noise and energy. Motherwell I bet have gained a few fans since these Bois arrived at the scene.

football is for going mental and swearing and generally being rowdy.

None of this family nonsense.

No wonder young teams up in the highlands won't support their local clubs when they tow that line. The youth of today want noise and energy. Motherwell I bet have gained a few fans since these Bois arrived at the scene.

Strangely, our home support has stayed pretty static, probably dropped slightly if anything like most others.

However based on anecdotal evidence over the last 5 years or so since "the bois" have been on the go, away crowds are up considerably! I know the 2 seasons before my wee boy was born I was going to way more away games, we were playing pretty well, but the atmosphere was always good too.

One downside to this, as exhibited very well at Celtic park, is their is an over reliance on these groups to create the atmosphere, while everyone else sits on their hands. There's not a lot of spontaneity anymore.

Dont agree with Flares at games as they are dangeous but ffs a smoke bomb really, the fans that use them at fir park are only trying to create abit of colour and atmosphere at the games as there is hardly any atmosphere at any scottish game now. The way football clubs want fans to do today is not turn up with a drink in us, to sit down and not stand up at all, to not make any noise etc, no wonder i dont go to games anymore or hardly many folk do, can hear a pin drop at most games on tv now its tha quiet.

Dont agree with Flares at games as they are dangeous but ffs a smoke bomb really, the fans that use them at fir park are only trying to create abit of colour and atmosphere at the games as there is hardly any atmosphere at any scottish game now. The way football clubs want fans to do today is not turn up with a drink in us, to sit down and not stand up at all, to not make any noise etc, no wonder i dont go to games anymore or hardly many folk do, can hear a pin drop at most games on tv now its tha quiet.

So if someone had an asthma/anxiety attack because of this,then that would be ok,as it's only smoke and adding a bit of colour??

Edited by dandydunn

I love the pyro at Hampden as the teams are coming out - especially the big ones that give you the feeling that the Enola Gay has just done a flypast as all your internal organs vibrate. Although need to bring back better entrance music - Insomnia was perfect for this.

Keep them there though, no place for them in the stands and all it takes is 1 eejit to ruin it for everyone by causing a major incident. And where do you even buy flares from anyway..?

So if someone had an asthma/anxiety attack because of this,then that would be ok,as it's only smoke and adding a bit of colour??

Ifs and buts mate.

Someone with a bad leg could also fall down the stairs because someone spilt a drink and caused them to slip.

British football is all about watching the game on your arse. At least that's what they want.

I want a German type experience. Beers, colour and noise.

I was jesting slightly about no families. Got to have specific areas though. Celtic got permission for a standing section yesterday.

Ifs and buts mate.

Someone with a bad leg could also fall down the stairs because someone spilt a drink and caused them to slip.

British football is all about watching the game on your arse. At least that's what they want.

I want a German type experience. Beers, colour and noise.

I was jesting slightly about no families. Got to have specific areas though. Celtic got permission for a standing section yesterday.

Go to Germany and watch fitba then.

Go to Germany and watch fitba then.

You clearly disagree but as an experience it's night and day.

Scottish football is getting like golf clubs.

Golf clubs have signs everywhere telling you what not to do. Never is there a sign telling you to go and fecking well enjoy yourself.

If that was actually happening, I'd agree with you.

I think we all agree that flares, even if they look pretty cool are a step too far, as they are a bit dangerous in a confined space.

Smokebombs aren't particularly dangerous, if they were going to cause me the problems you're suggesting, I probably wouldn't sit with the wee guys that set them off.

As far as I know, nobody's "had an eye out" as yet.

As someone said earlier, the smoking in the toilet is more of an issue for me, I can move away from a smoke bomb, but sometimes I need to go to the toilet.

If that was actually happening, I'd agree with you.

I think we all agree that flares, even if they look pretty cool are a step too far, as they are a bit dangerous in a confined space.

Smokebombs aren't particularly dangerous, if they were going to cause me the problems you're suggesting, I probably wouldn't sit with the wee guys that set them off.

As far as I know, nobody's "had an eye out" as yet.

As someone said earlier, the smoking in the toilet is more of an issue for me, I can move away from a smoke bomb, but sometimes I need to go to the toilet.

Why is smoking in the toilet such an issue then?

I don't think anyone has ever been injured from someone having a fag.

Why is smoking in the toilet such an issue then?

I don't think anyone has ever been injured from someone having a fag.

It's not a massive issue either, just annoys me, I'm asthmatic, and I have on occasion come out the toilets, particularly at hampden, feeling wheezy from the smoke.

Never really had an issue with smokebombs, as I don't set them off myself, or normally sit right next to the guys that do.

I don't have that choice if I need a pee at hampden.

Probably become a bit "spoilt" by the smoking ban, as I used to work in a smokey pub and not bother.

Also, assuming you're aware of Bradford City.

Indeed.

Just as a pseudo-intellectual aside, there's a medieval mystery play called The Castle of Perseverance in which the bloke playing the devil character Belial is instructed to have "gunnepowdyr brennynge In pypys in hys handys and in hys erys and in hys ars whanne he go to the batayl." It was the 1400s so a bit pre-Health & Safety, like.