Pyro At The Fitba - Page 2 - Football related - Discussion of non TA football - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Pyro At The Fitba

• Replies 152
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have totally knackered lungs...lifelong asthma, ABPA, bronchiectasis & I have a shed load more trouble from smokers in the bogs & vapers in the ground (that's suddenly OK now) than I ever have from any smoky thing being set off. Not saying if it was happening constantly it wouldn't be an issue, but lots of little "harmless" things add up to a much bigger problem in my world.

You could probably control it in the home end...for instance I dont think too many people at Fir Park would be bothered if the end section was allowed smoke bombs and seeing as the family section is the Davie Cooper stand.

But no one really wants to do it at home games. It's all about the away games and I dont think that can be controlled effectively so as 'good' as it might look I think it has to be zero tolerance

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/football/competitions/premier-league/10490064/Campaign-starts-to-warn-of-dangers-of-fans-using-flares-and-smoke-bombs-in-grounds.html

I think the arguments for adding atmosphere, are utter rubbish because how can it add atmosphere when you can't see the thing you're meant to be there to look at - the bloody pitch?!

It's an indiscriminate device - it dries the throat, stings the eyes and affects everyone in a stand or terrace; older or young supporters won't want to be amongst that. Also, some flares or bombs generate terrific heat and can burn furiously - from a health perspective alone, while minor, shouldn't be tolerated.

It disorientates as well - and in a packed and less than spacious ground, could potentially cause panic. On a short steep terrace - it could cause accidents, and I would argue in some seated grounds that are steep with small legroom (Amsterdam Arena) it could be just as dangerous. Do you have them going off at festivals or concerts? No - you'd have stampedes and chaos.

This is isn't Health and Safety gone mad. It's bloody common sense. Imagine if smoke bombs had gone off at the old Hampden with 120,000? Scores would have died.

We never had flares or smoke bombs in our football previously - if you want that to be part of your football culture, perhaps you should go and live in Greece. Atmosphere would be better encouraged by having more people in the grounds, encouraging kids and making ticket prices lower so more 'working people' can be there; some of whom may go for a few beers before and have a sing song and make a racket. Too many prawn sandwich punters.

Smoking at Hampden - is absolutely appalling and somehow tolerated. There should be a steward in each toilet immediately ejecting anyone from the ground who lights up. For people to even justify this on here is comical - it's illegal to smoke in public places in this country - if you can't hold out for 2 hours, then you should be going to see a GP.

Just don't see the point. Never thought wow...look at the flares.

If it's not allowed and people continue, it will just lead to more searches/stewards/fines, more inconvience and possibly cost for everybody.

All for stuff like fireworks on the pitch along with those flame thrower things you get at the rugby though.

Maybe have a pyro section for those that want to indulge ?

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/football/competitions/premier-league/10490064/Campaign-starts-to-warn-of-dangers-of-fans-using-flares-and-smoke-bombs-in-grounds.html

I think the arguments for adding atmosphere, are utter rubbish because how can it add atmosphere when you can't see the thing you're meant to be there to look at - the bloody pitch?!

It's an indiscriminate device - it dries the throat, stings the eyes and affects everyone in a stand or terrace; older or young supporters won't want to be amongst that. Also, some flares or bombs generate terrific heat and can burn furiously - from a health perspective alone, while minor, shouldn't be tolerated.

It disorientates as well - and in a packed and less than spacious ground, could potentially cause panic. On a short steep terrace - it could cause accidents, and I would argue in some seated grounds that are steep with small legroom (Amsterdam Arena) it could be just as dangerous. Do you have them going off at festivals or concerts? No - you'd have stampedes and chaos.

This is isn't Health and Safety gone mad. It's bloody common sense. Imagine if smoke bombs had gone off at the old Hampden with 120,000? Scores would have died.

We never had flares or smoke bombs in our football previously - if you want that to be part of your football culture, perhaps you should go and live in Greece. Atmosphere would be better encouraged by having more people in the grounds, encouraging kids and making ticket prices lower so more 'working people' can be there; some of whom may go for a few beers before and have a sing song and make a racket. Too many prawn sandwich punters.

Smoking at Hampden - is absolutely appalling and somehow tolerated. There should be a steward in each toilet immediately ejecting anyone from the ground who lights up. For people to even justify this on here is comical - it's illegal to smoke in public places in this country - if you can't hold out for 2 hours, then you should be going to see a GP.

Very good post.

Excellent post ?

The atmosphere in football these days has been killed by ridiculously expensive pricing and half empty stadia. The drop in standards and lack of international success (ie qualifying) is also having an impact.

Pyros aren't going to make football affordable again nor will they encourage more people through the gates.

Scottish football has many challenges and we are not doing the right things to address them.

Do you have them going off at festivals or concerts? No - you'd have stampedes and chaos.

I assume you have just said that with no actual facts because it sounds good.

First song of Courteeners set in (packed) Tuts at TITP this year saw approx 5/6 flares and 4 smoke bombs, that I noticed. Not 19 Forever had at least equal numbers. Flares all through Kasabisn set. Even a flare in Tuts when Proclaimers were doing Sunshine On Leith. TITP has had flares at it on a very regular basis for at least last 5 years, if not more. Glasgow Green had lots of smoke bombs and flares during Stone Roses.

Funnily enough no stampedes or chaos at any of these events.

I did wonder how stewards would deal with them, especially in packed tents as person holding would be quite reachable. They ended up walking into crowd and then taking finished flare and walking back out with it as had it finished burning.

The club president was on TV saying he didn't recognise any of them.

I'd imagine at clubs like that, the folk running it would know most of the folk personally.

Dunno if same interview but at end of the highlights here, gives an interview, sounds devastated to be honest.

I assume you have just said that with no actual facts because it sounds good.

First song of Courteeners set in (packed) Tuts at TITP this year saw approx 5/6 flares and 4 smoke bombs, that I noticed. Not 19 Forever had at least equal numbers. Flares all through Kasabisn set. Even a flare in Tuts when Proclaimers were doing Sunshine On Leith. TITP has had flares at it on a very regular basis for at least last 5 years, if not more. Glasgow Green had lots of smoke bombs and flares during Stone Roses.

Funnily enough no stampedes or chaos at any of these events.

I did wonder how stewards would deal with them, especially in packed tents as person holding would be quite reachable. They ended up walking into crowd and then taking finished flare and walking back out with it as had it finished burning.

Never done TITP - but Reading and Glastonbury and numerous others; never seen anything. Mainly because, a bit of dry ice aside on stage - you wouldn't be able to see the gig. Why pay £150 to go to see your favourite band headline and you can;t see them because some twat has been to an Army and Navy surplus store?

Not saying what I say because it sounds good at all. Saying it because I believe that in certain cases it could cause an issue - in a venue that is not policed/stewarded well or it's very busy, or there are also strobe lighting and it's disorientating.

There were deaths in Spain about 2 years ago when some kids died at a venue when a flare was set off and they stampeded for the only exit. Poor H&S in place made it worse, but people do panic.

By your tone, are you suggesting pyros in the crowd at a football or concert are a good thing? Just asking.

And the first person to suffer injury will sue the club for actively encouraging it.

Not sure, just to keep them away from those who have no interest. Part of me thinks it may be possible to manage an area safely and the bigger part of me doesn't want them there. Don't actually see what the add to atmosphere.

Always a concern they could be lobbed over a fence into the home/away support too.