Walking Boots - Other Sports - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Walking Boots

Angus_Young

Looking for some recommendations.

Been up the hills a few times recently so I need to sort out a pair. It's just the Ochils so nothing too taxing but obviously still need to be sturdy enough and waterproof. Bagged a few Munros when I was a laddie,and would like to do the odd one again so would need to be suitable for that as well.

http://www.mandmdirect.com/01/details/KM323/Karrimor-Mens-Spike-Mid-Weathertite-Hiking-Boots-Black-Red

Was looking at these. Anyone advise if they are good/bad or an alternative? Im only out a couple of times a month, so wasnt looking to spend much more than this if I can get away with it.

I would guard against buying Karrimor (Sports Direct's own brand) when it comes to hillwalking footwear. They won't wall to bits don't get me wrong, but will in fairly quickly time let in water and the comfort won't be up to much.

I can thoroughly recommend a pair of Scarpa's - granted there going to be twice the price, but they'll be ten times the value. Will last you ages too

Mind and budget for socks too :wink2:

I like double-layered ones which help reduce blisters in my case.

I'd also go for boots that keep out water longer as even in summer our ground is kind of wet. A bit heavier unfortunately.

Cheers. Any in particular you would recommend. Do any of the links above fit the bill in your opinion?

I'm still wearing a pair of Meindls I got 2-3 years back. Managed to get them in a sale.

They look like Borneo 2 type. Still going strong.

They may have memory foam in them, so you need to wear them around the shop for a few minutes to get comfy.

I would guard against buying Karrimor (Sports Direct's own brand) when it comes to hillwalking footwear. They won't wall to bits don't get me wrong, but will in fairly quickly time let in water and the comfort won't be up to much.

I can thoroughly recommend a pair of Scarpa's - granted there going to be twice the price, but they'll be ten times the value. Will last you ages too

Aye, Karrimor stuff is shit quality - steer clear.

Ended up ordering a pair of Berghaus Hill Master II GTX - original price £160 - got them for £77 on Amazon less a £30 gift voucher I was given at Christmas.

It was between them and the Scarpa's but I got put off by a few negative reviews regarding the durability of the particular Scarpa's I was looking at (the Scarpa's would also have cost me almost double the price - after the deduction of the gift voucher).

I used to have a pair of Karrimor desert boots which were identical to Timberland looks wise, but much more lighter and lasted just as long

Aye, Karrimor used to be good quality until Fat Mike bought the brand - I bought two pairs of Karrimor running shorts from Sports Direct - the mesh lining had a similar effect to rubbing your foreskin with a cheese grater (or what I'd imagine rubbing your foreskin with a cheese grater would be like - I admittedly haven't tried it) - they were swiftly binned.

Aye, Karrimor used to be good quality until Fat Mike bought the brand - I bought two pairs of Karrimor running shorts from Sports Direct - the mesh lining had a similar effect to rubbing your foreskin with a cheese grater (or what I'd imagine rubbing your foreskin with a cheese grater would be like - I admittedly haven't tried it) - they were swiftly binned.

watch hustlers,hookers,pimps and their johns gives you an insight in tae cheese graters on willies ?

Hi,

Anyone still looking for hiking/walking boots, I got a pair of these & they're cracking...

http://www.uttings.co.uk/p119542-dolomite-sparrow-evo-high-gtx-walking-boots-carbon-yellow-855553-c-y/#.Vq3w0_GOOnc

Gore-tex, waterproof & really sturdy.

I got them for 70-odd but they're down to £62 now.

only size 4,5 and 11 left :(

Good thread though, looking for a pair myself.

only size 4,5 and 11 left :(

Good thread though, looking for a pair myself.

I ended up going for the Merrell's that I posted earlier in the thread.http://www.merrell.com/UK/en_GB/moab-mid-gore-tex/16222M.html

Look very similar to those ones. Got them from www.sportsshoes.com £66 delivered if you go through quidco first.

Edited by Angus_Young

• 2 weeks later...

Have to agree (not about the cheese grater/foreskin bit, I too have yet to try it)

I bought a pair of Karrimor boots a few years ago before the grinning cockney bought the brand and they were like wearing pillows on my feet when walking. Loved them.

Bought another pair last year and the difference in feel and quality was obvious immediately.

Nowhere near what they used to be. Not even close.

I now have a pair of Scarpas and a pair of Berghaus GTX and there's not much between them. Scarpas edge it for me.

I'm well chuffed with my Berghaus GTX but open to trying the Scarpas next.

My boots are already a bit of a state - what's the best way to clean them - buy one of those cleaning kits from an outdoor shop?

I just wash all the dirt of them with hot water, then apply dubbing wax :ok: