Migraines - They Do My Head In - Anything Goes - Other topics not covered elsewhere - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Migraines - They Do My Head In

Does any else have the pleasure of also suffering from these?

I don't get them too frequently, maybe 4/5 times a year, but when I do they're unbearable.

Woke up at 1am with a splitting headache. Took some immagrin nasal spray and also some zantac which usually hits the spot, but this time not even a bit.

Spent from 2am to 7am either with my fingers down my throat to induce vomiting, drinking salt water or wrapping myself in a blanket while I slept on the bathroom floor.

You'd think the wife would give me a little bit of sympathy? Nope, apparently I was far too loud coughing and being sick.

Women eh.

I get them every couple of weeks. It's like somebody is trying to push my eyeball out from the inside using a sharpened stick.

Mrs Meister got me some migraine specific painkillers and they seemed to have worked. Don't know what they are called but you get pink and yellow tablets.

Never been as bad as the OP though thankfully.

I get the mad ones where your vision goes haywire. Sparkles all over your line of sight. Fortunately I don't remember it ever happening when I'm driving! It has happened at work though, and you just have to stop and find somewhere to lie down. For starters it's near impossible to read or write with your eyesight in that state.

Funnily enough when I feel one coming on and I'm in a position to have a couple of swift drinks, that seems to alleviate the subsequent headache...

Edited by Toepoke

I get them if I go to long without food such as at the weekend. Usually it comes on gradually with me so I know to get food and painkillers down my neck.

On the pain killer front I've found cheap own brand pills are as good as expensive ones as long as they have ibuprofen and lysine in it

I get them very occasionally, well, the doctor said they are migraines but they could never work out why they happen. Not stress, caffeine etc. I think they are to do with hunger, I often get them when Im extra starving! thing is they are visual rather than just sore heids. About a third of my vision goes and turns into zig zaggy things right across my sight for about 20/30mins, then I get the heid and it just makes me feel ming for the next 24hrs. Started having them after fracturing ma skull playing fitba when I was 15 but the doctor reckoned they weren't related, which they obviously were cos I'd never had one before.

Horrible things. No kind of pain killer or migraine meds help at all.

I get them if I go to long without food such as at the weekend. Usually it comes on gradually with me so I know to get food and painkillers down my neck.

On the pain killer front I've found cheap own brand pills are as good as expensive ones as long as they have ibuprofen and lysine in it

You are right about the Ibuprofen. Anybody who buys the brand name products are just throwing money away.

I used to get them every couple of weeks. Bad enough that I couldn't sleep and completely debillitating if I was at work, but not so bad that I'd have vision problems or sickness. They tended to last about three or four days. This went on for some years and I thought they were sinus.

When I went to the doctor he immediately said they were migraines, and prescribed me co-codamol (30/500). Now, I still get them but they're rarely as bad as they used to be - it's almost like the drugs stay in my system and create a sort of barrier. And if I take a couple of tablets just as I feel one coming on it usually, but not always, stops it in its tracks.

Causes:

Hunger

Chocolate

Sleeping in a warm room (need the window open)

Not going to the toilet :yikes3:

And finally ... sometimes they just happen.

I get the kaleidescope eyeballs and it's a sign/trigger to get pills down neck quickly (2 para and 2 ibuprof simultaneously to blast the fecker) - usually works well and migraine is prevented but if it takes hold it's not pleasant but nowhere near as bad as a kidney stone!

Almost 24 hours on and although gradually fading, the bugger is still here.

My issue too is pain killers don't work at all. 6 years ago I fractured a bit of my spine and slipped a disc. For 6 months I was taking 8 tramadol, 6 codeine, and 6 amytriptylene to combat the pain. Ever since then my tolerance for pain killers is sky high.

So it looks like another night awake. I took today off work as looking at a screen would have killed me. Think I'll work from home tomorrow which is a saving grace.

About a third of my vision goes and turns into zig zaggy things right across my sight for about 20/30mins, then I get the heid and it just makes me feel ming for the next 24hrs.

That's pretty much what happens with mine!

I've noticed they can be triggered if I strain my eyes by trying to look to the side, or get a flash of sunlight at the wrong time.

I've been told it could be related to stressing certain optic nerves.

I get the mad ones where your vision goes haywire. Sparkles all over your line of sight. Fortunately I don't remember it ever happening when I'm driving! It has happened at work though, and you just have to stop and find somewhere to lie down. For starters it's near impossible to read or write with your eyesight in that state.

Funnily enough when I feel one coming on and I'm in a position to have a couple of swift drinks, that seems to alleviate the subsequent headache...

This is migraine with Aura.

http://ihs-classification.org/en/02_klassifikation/02_teil1/01.02.00_migraine.html

As soon as I get symptoms I take a couple of paracetamol and I'm good.

Almost 24 hours on and although gradually fading, the bugger is still here.

My issue too is pain killers don't work at all. 6 years ago I fractured a bit of my spine and slipped a disc. For 6 months I was taking 8 tramadol, 6 codeine, and 6 amytriptylene to combat the pain. Ever since then my tolerance for pain killers is sky high.

So it looks like another night awake. I took today off work as looking at a screen would have killed me. Think I'll work from home tomorrow which is a saving grace.

amitriptyline as an anti-depresent is 200mg doses or a sleeping tablet at 10mg, I never knew it could be used as painkillers in lower back herniations. what size dose was it?

amitriptyline as an anti-depresent is 200mg doses or a sleeping tablet at 10mg, I never knew it could be used as painkillers in lower back herniations. what size dose was it?

I take 4 x 10mg of amiltiptyline every night so that I can get some sleep despite the pains in my knee. Was on serious Codeine painkillers but came off them as they completely fckd me up.

Supposedly amiltiptyline does pain relief, works as a sedative and is an anti- depressant. It certainly has worked for me.

Still get migraines though!

Yeah, the lower doses. I was unsure at first about taking them.

I take 4 x 10mg of amiltiptyline every night so that I can get some sleep despite the pains in my knee. Was on serious Codeine painkillers but came off them as they completely fckd me up.

Supposedly amiltiptyline does pain relief, works as a sedative and is an anti- depressant. It certainly has worked for me.

headaches.

Codeine is great fun :)