Of Interest To Some Maybe.... - Football related - Discussion of non TA football - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Of Interest To Some Maybe....

This is an interesting thread (I think anyway) from B&WArmy. I guess the initial point of the thread may only have been of interest to St. Mirren or Celtic fans of a certain age (mine), but it quickly goes on to discuss some interesting stats about Scottish football in general.

Thought it was worth sharing.

As for the game itself, I remember it well. Went hame near greetin'.

http://www.blackandwhitearmy.com/forums/index.php/topic/40959-retro-saints;-stmirren-2-celtic-3-aet-1980/

I was at that game as well and had similar feelings. Great to see my old mate Peter Weir again (haven't seen him in years), he was all over that game and caused Celtic problems all night. My brother was the person who told 'Fergie' about Peter when he was still playing at Neilston Juniors and then a combination of his dad, me and my brother convinced him to sign for Saints. The rest is history!

Cheers for posting, had never heard of this game, bit appears it still rankles with your fans.

Some crowd there, such a shame that crowds have dwindled so badly over the years.

Was Mcgrains challenge as bad as is being made out? Never struck me as a dirty player?

It wasn't so much that it was bad Angus, it's that it was deliberate. It was retribution for Frank McDougall's (perceived) influence on getting Tam McAdam sent off.

It wasn't so much that it was bad Angus, it's that it was deliberate. It was retribution for Frank McDougall's (perceived) influence on getting Tam McAdam sent off.

Ah I see. Couldn't make out much from the tape, I assume McAdam had a kick out? Good to see Jimmy Bone getting a goal. A friend of my Grandmothers. I believe he got a bit of an earful when he signed for Celtic a few years earlier :) Edited by Angus_Young

Love St was a fantastic stadium great for atmosphere . I believe the record attendance is 47k.We got hammerings there in the early 80's. 4-1 comes to mind Last game of the 1980 season. I was at the game in Nov 79"when we lost 2-1.

The year we beat Aberdeen on the last day, we won 1-0 there. Late Sandy Robertson goal? Frenzy when the goal went in, we really never deserved to win that day.

I was at that game as well and had similar feelings. Great to see my old mate Peter Weir again (haven't seen him in years), he was all over that game and caused Celtic problems all night. My brother was the person who told 'Fergie' about Peter when he was still playing at Neilston Juniors and then a combination of his dad, me and my brother convinced him to sign for Saints. The rest is history!

Peter Weir was my favourite player at that time. I was devastated when he left.

Love St was a fantastic stadium great for atmosphere . I believe the record attendance is 47k.We got hammerings there in the early 80's. 4-1 comes to mind Last game of the 1980 season. I was at the game in Nov 79"when we lost 2-1.

That was by far our best team/season, certainly in my lifetime.

We ended up finishing third, 6 points behind Aberdeen and 5 behind Celtic. We went to Pitoddrie with 4 games to go, still right in it. Unfortunately for us Aberdeen won 2-0 and that pretty much ended our chances. We lost our next game away to Hibs who were bottom and then finished with 2 games against the OF, drawing 0-0 with Celtic and then as you say beating Rangers 4-1.

Hadn't thought about it before, but I suppose our draw with Celtic helped Aberdeen win the league.

We also won the Anglo Scottish Cup that season and remain the only Scottish team ever to win it.

Ruud Gullit reckons the worst racist abuse he ever got throughout his career was playing at Love Street for Feyenoord in 1983.

To be honest aaid I think that says more about where Scottish football was at that time, than it does about Love Street or the St. Mirren fans. Black players were a very rare sight in Scootish football and if there was any of that shite on the night, I suspect he'd have gotten it anywhere in Scotland.

For some reason I never made it to that game (I can't think for the life of me why because it was a massive game) so I can't comment on what actually went on.

In my experience, the only player who ever suffered monkey chants at Love Street was Willie Miller :-)

The year we beat Aberdeen on the last day, we won 1-0 there. Late Sandy Robertson goal? Frenzy when the goal went in, we really never deserved to win that day.

this is the thing. Back then there seemed to a real fear going to many grounds. I never went to Love St feeling confident.

That was by far our best team/season, certainly in my lifetime.

We ended up finishing third, 6 points behind Aberdeen and 5 behind Celtic. We went to Pitoddrie with 4 games to go, still right in it. Unfortunately for us Aberdeen won 2-0 and that pretty much ended our chances. We lost our next game away to Hibs who were bottom and then finished with 2 games against the OF, drawing 0-0 with Celtic and then as you say beating Rangers 4-1.

Hadn't thought about it before, but I suppose our draw with Celtic helped Aberdeen win the league.

We also won the Anglo Scottish Cup that season and remain the only Scottish team ever to win it.

beating Bristol City in the final.Peter Weir is one of the most talented Scottish players I have seen .

i always enjoyed trips to Love Street, mainly because we usually won there and because there were 2 boozers within 3 mins of the turnstiles.

I never, ever found it intimidating though.

I'd forgotten that the original TV camera position in the main stand was level with the penalty box. Brilliant.. :lol:

i always enjoyed trips to Love Street, mainly because we usually won there and because there were 2 boozers within 3 mins of the turnstiles.

I'd forgotten that the original TV camera position in the main stand was level with the penalty box. Brilliant.. :lol:

It's true that Rossy. For all that we troubled the Old Firm on a regular basis, I can't say I remember too many victories against Aberdeen.

Best memory was the 1-1 game when Jimmy Bone scored the goal that went on to win goal of the season.

Edited by Marky

Also the camera angle on those highlights was very unusual. The normal set up at Love Street before they built the proper gantry in the North Bank opposite, was right in the middle of the old enclosure above the tunnel. So it was normally very central. If there was ever an issue with it it was that it was maybe a bit too low and gave a bit of a worm's eye view.

Don't know what the score was that night with the cameras. Very strange.

Used to go to Love St regularly with my Buddie buddy.

I mind the excitement of getting spotted on camera at a couple of tv games. One was a Scottish Cup humping from Paul Sturrock basically. The other game Saints put 6 by Hearts, I believe if the Jambos had picked up a point there they wouldn't have had to worry about Albert Kidd...

Used to go to Love St regularly with my Buddie buddy.

I mind the excitement of getting spotted on camera at a couple of tv games. One was a Scottish Cup humping from Paul Sturrock basically. The other game Saints put 6 by Hearts, I believe if the Jambos had picked up a point there they wouldn't have had to worry about Albert Kidd...

Remember the 6-2 game against Hearts well Toepoke. Early 85/86 season. That was only of my last games before moving away. That St. Mirren team was nowhere near as good as the 79/80 team but still pretty decent. The highlights of that game used to be kicking around online somewhere. And they could have done without a draw that day. Just slightly less of a pumping would have sufficed :-).

Don't remember getting humped off Paul Sturrock though. Couldn't possibly have happened. They were another team that we tended to own at Love Street in those days :-).

It was the 85 Scottish Cup. Quarters I think.

The Beeb were doing a documentary coz it was the 100th cup, following a team from round 1, and then whoever beat them etc. St Mirren handed coverage over to United that afternoon...

Ah yes. Remember it now. Think it was called the Road to Hampden. From memory we had won away at Cowdenbeath and Ayr in the previous rounds. Remember listening to the draw on the train on the way back from Ayr. Home to Dundee Utd. "Toafy" I thought. Edited by Marky

Marky you're right about your record against us in 80s but in 85 we hammered you 4-1 at Love Street. Might have been only time I saw United win there. As usual we got beat in final - by Celtic again

Just checked it out on YouTube. Gough, Dodds (2) and Bannon. Sturrock actually got sent off at 2-1

We will be renewing the rivalry next season albeit not at Love St

Edited by GHfaeGTA