Car Hire Companies? - General Travel - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Car Hire Companies?

macy37

Anyone have a really trusted place to book car hire?

It's a long while since I booked a car and I am always thinking these feckers will rip me off in some way that is hidden!

Any pointers to look out for or advice that might help me secure a good deal?

CDW etc??

Thanks from a novice.

Oh by the way it's a week's hire from Stuttgart Airport in the summer.

I used to work for Avis on my days off. They are very expensive.

Booking online and in advance will generally get you it cheaper. They should have paperwork with a diagram of the car showing any damage it has. Make sure you walk round the car with someone and if any damage ISNT on the document get it added. Also ask them the rules about giving the car back fueled etc. It's always cheaper for you to fill it up as they will charge you a lot more than what you get at the pumps.

I used Sixt when I was in Norway and they were spot on, very professional.

• 1 month later...

I presume you've probably already got advice but i thought i'd chip in as i was you about two months ago with the same concerns!

i rented from autoeurope via rentalcars.  i took out the full protection and i'm glad i did.  for an extra bit of money it gave me peace of mind.  normal CDW doesnt cover everthing.

i unfortunately had an accident 5 mins from taking the car back to Treviso airport...managed to drive in three different countries for days no bother beforehand..  unbelievable.  excess was 1100euro.

had to pay the car company, Autoeurope, the amount but then got a full refund via rentalcars within a week.  i'd recommend both companies.

The extra CDW protection policies are a must these days. Ridiculous how they try and catch people out.

Make sure you arrange one before you get to the rental desk though as the charges they add when you buy over the counter are huge.

I hired a car a couple of weeks ago, went to Moneysupermarket to compare car hire excess insurance policies and picked one up for just a fiver.

10 hours ago, Toepoke said:

The extra CDW protection policies are a must these days. Ridiculous how they try and catch people out.

Make sure you arrange one before you get to the rental desk though as the charges they add when you buy over the counter are huge.

I hired a car a couple of weeks ago, went to Moneysupermarket to compare car hire excess insurance policies and picked one up for just a fiver.

Yes, after reading Martin Lewis I'm taking out my own at a fraction of the cost it is when you take it with the company you hire with.

Who did you go with?