Learning The Keyboard/piano - Anything Goes - Other topics not covered elsewhere - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Learning The Keyboard/piano

Hi folks

Does anyone play the piano or keyboard on here? A friend has kindly given me a shot of his keyboard (66 keys) and I am going to give it a go.

Spent the last few days learning the basic chord progressions, C Dm Em F G Am. Not planning on taking lessons as such, and was hoping to learn or at least for now via the internet and aff the cuff (ba dooom tsh).

Can anyone recommend a good site, or book for beginners?

Cheers

I play the old Joanna, Kevie (Grade 6).

Was looking for a refresher type course on the net, and a mate recommended 'Rockademy'. It's nae free though. At the time I got a discount (think it was about £12) - well worth it.

I think from memory you play the guitar - there are good courses on Rockademy for that also.

Good luck. If you need any help with anything, PM me :ok:

I was forced to learn piano when I was a kid, I now have a deep seated hatred of pianos. ****s

I was too, but looking back I wish I had continued it as I was actually quite good for my age. This also goes for when I got the chance to play the Pipes or Drums and I said no, wish I'd done it at the time but know I dont have the patience any more

Learning the guitar or moothie is better from that point of view.

Not a problem for the Flora, Bob !!

Going back to the piano, one of the worst things I've seen following Scotland was in Bordeaux at the World Cup.

We were having a sesh with Norwegians, and the boozer had a piano. This Norwegian punter was sensational - obviously classically trained. However, he kept playing Elton John stuff and a gent told him to "Stop playing that poofy English ". The boy obviously didn't understand him. 2 seconds later his heid gets rammed into the keys - I'm still amazed there wasn't an international incident.

Never felt so ashamed of my country in my puff (apart from voting No).

Going back to the piano, one of the worst things I've seen following Scotland was in Bordeaux at the World Cup.

We were having a sesh with Norwegians, and the boozer had a piano. This Norwegian punter was sensational - obviously classically trained. However, he kept playing Elton John stuff and a gent told him to "Stop playing that poofy English ######". The boy obviously didn't understand him. 2 seconds later his heid gets rammed into the keys - I'm still amazed there wasn't an international incident.

I've had that, or close, a couple of times. Probably because I was playing my own tunes. And singing.

I'm an excellent guitarist, there's not much in life I can boast about, but I'm a wonderful guitarist, and having been blessed with what some refer to as "piano fingers" I assumed I'd be a natural... I wasn't. I wanted to learn piano for the sole purpose of being able to play "Nuvole Bianche", I gave up after a week or so and learned it on guitar :lol:

This arrangement actually:

Edited by Scunnered

I'm an excellent guitarist, there's not much in life I can boast about, but I'm a wonderful guitarist, and having been blessed with what some refer to as "piano fingers" I assumed I'd be a natural... I wasn't. I wanted to learn piano for the sole purpose of being able to play "Nuvole Bianche", I gave up after a week or so and learned it on guitar :lol:

This arrangement actually:

I just chucked that tune on in Spotify and it's absolutely tremendous. Thanks for posting that.

I play the old Joanna, Kevie (Grade 6).

Was looking for a refresher type course on the net, and a mate recommended 'Rockademy'. It's nae free though. At the time I got a discount (think it was about £12) - well worth it.

I think from memory you play the guitar - there are good courses on Rockademy for that also.

Good luck. If you need any help with anything, PM me :ok:

Cheers Flora.

Play the guitar, but finding this a task - getting those chubby fingers moving in two different directions and doing different things.

It's going OK, learning basic progressions, and attempting two songs Einaudi - I giorni. Hoping once I learn the chords. It'll get easier, but plan to stick with it.

Hoping slow, extra slow even and steady wins the race.

I was too, but looking back I wish I had continued it as I was actually quite good for my age. This also goes for when I got the chance to play the Pipes or Drums and I said no, wish I'd done it at the time but know I dont have the patience any more

Fkin hate them, cannae stand the noise they make either or the way they just sit in a room taking up all that space just waiting... ****s