Mechanics Question - Anything Goes - Other topics not covered elsewhere - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Mechanics Question

Oldest says if he wants to be a mechanic and he has to have his own tools costing £1000 +, he does go to college but is not at the job stage yet.

Is this true or is he just wanting to buy a heap of tools to sit in the shed ? If you work at a garage are you expected to have some of your own tools or does it vary from company to company, garage to garage ?

I assumed your employer supplies your tools but never worked in a garage so ?

So basically is this true or is he at it ?

Oldest says if he wants to be a mechanic and he has to have his own tools costing £1000 +, he does go to college but is not at the job stage yet.

Is this true or is he just wanting to buy a heap of tools to sit in the shed ? If you work at a garage are you expected to have some of your own tools or does it vary from company to company, garage to garage ?

I assumed your employer supplies your tools but never worked in a garage so ?

So basically is this true or is he at it ?

I haven't worked in the motor trade for +10 years, but back then the boys supplied their own tools yes. This was Arnold Clark & Harry Fairbairns so it could well vary. Apprentices would usually use the mechanics tools or go on the scrounge until they were time served.

I've got two nephews, both apprentice mechanics. As Scunnered says they usually start off using the journeyman's tools their assigned to work with but are expected to start building up their own kit over time. Usually a Snap-On guy comes round the bigger garages regularly and flogs kit to mechanics.

I very much doubt any garage would buy a toolkit for an apprentice, But a set of spanners, screwdrivers and a socket set would be enough to get going with.

Apprentices do go to college but that's paid for by the employer.

We buy our apprentices their basic toolkits, they then pay it back over a set amount of time directly from their wages. Anything else they need is built up overtime. Granted it's a machine shop rather than a Motor mechanics, but may be relevant.

Thanks exactly the advice I needed.

So he is right in that he needs his own tools but doesn't need to spend a fortune straight away.

He has a basic toolbox with a number of pieces that he bought, spanners, socket set and some sort of 90 piece torq box. So that would get him started and he could build up over time.

He is really keen and I want to encourage him but he can go a bit over the top.

Thanks.

As an apprentice I got a basic toolkit but was expected to build it up over time. Even now I don't like getting tools from my employer unless they ask what make I want as I want a tool I can trust not some cheap thing that will only last 5 mins

When I was an apprentice spark we got our tools provided to us albeit they weren't the best.

For mechanic tools such as socket set, spanners etc. The Halfords Professional range gear is great quality with a lifetime (I think) guarantee and are a good but cheaper than Snap On.