Oscars Race Card Fiasco - Page 4 - Anything Goes - Other topics not covered elsewhere - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Oscars Race Card Fiasco

On 27 January 2016 at 6:38 AM, ParisInAKilt said:

Wait, Idris "stringer bell" can't act? :unsure:

Almost word for word what I was going to type. Chuck in Luther and his excellent portrayal of Nelson Mandela. He's a fantastic British actor.

J

• Replies 175
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

38 minutes ago, TartanJon said:

I noticed that nobody is saying anything about the catholic bashing film winning the Best Picture Oscar in a Jew dominated industry

"bashing" is probably the wrong word to use given the circumstances

6 minutes ago, ParisInAKilt said:

Have you seen the wire?

Yes,it's okay,nothing special.I prefer Luther.

I watch all sorts of shit and I have noticed folk who don't watch as much stuff as I do use The Wire & Breaking Bad as some sort of bar that all over shows have to reach.

Breaking Bad was really ####in awful btw

49 minutes ago, TartanJon said:

Yes,it's okay,nothing special.I prefer Luther.

I watch all sorts of shit and I have noticed folk who don't watch as much stuff as I do use The Wire & Breaking Bad as some sort of bar that all over shows have to reach.

Breaking Bad was really ####in awful btw

I guess it's subjective but most people agree that the wire is outstanding and Elba is great in it. 

11 hours ago, Baz said:

What gets me is they are only focused on black actors not being nominated.

what about the other minorities or do Hispanic's and Asians just count as white?

And when was the last time a disabled actor was nominated

Marlee Martin won Best Actress for Children of a Lesser God in 1986 (also the youngest)

Can anybody point out any roles that a disabled,Hispanic or Asian actor played this year that would have been worthy of an Oscar nomination ?

Or can we be honest here and say the real reason you are all throwing out "what about the disabled or the Hispanics ?" is because you have a deep rooted hatred for darkies.

You're in good company though because I've always found the Tamb pretty racist

11 minutes ago, TartanJon said:

Nope.An openly gay man has won it twice before for the same thing he won it for.

As well as an openly gay woman.  Not to mention the guys who got the awards for Milk who were all openly gay.  I think Mr Smith needs to do a wee bit more research next time!

I'm so glad I don't pay attention to films let alone their award shows. I'm, also glad i spend time reading the reasoning's of academics in the field. One such being Thomas Sowell.  

Here's what he had to say about the Oscars, he's a high school drop(from Harlem) out who joined the marines and is now a senior fellow at stanford university, political and social theory.

"The latest tempest in a teapot controversy is over a lack of black nominees for this year’s Academy Awards in Hollywood.

The assumption seems to be that different groups would be proportionally represented if somebody were not doing somebody else wrong. That assumption carries great weight in far more important things than Academy Awards and in places more important than Hollywood, including the Supreme Court of the United States.

In an earlier era, the groupthink assumption was that groups that did not succeed as often, or as well, were genetically inferior. But is our current groupthink assumption based on any more hard evidence?

Having spent decades researching racial and ethnic groups around the world, I have never yet found a country in which all groups — or even most groups — are even roughly equally represented in most endeavors.

Nor have I been the only one with that experience. The great French historian Fernand Braudel said, “In no society have all regions and all parts of the population developed equally.” A study of military forces around the world failed to find a single one in which in which the ethnic makeup of the military was the same as that of the society.

My own favorite example of unrepresentativeness, however, is right at home. Having watched National Football League games for more than 50 years, I have seen hundreds of black players score touchdowns, but I have never seen one black player kick the extra point..."

http://www.investors.com/politics/on-the-right/thomas-sowell-oscars-football-and-the-demand-for-villains/

Edited by phart

17 hours ago, Baz said:

What gets me is they are only focused on black actors not being nominated.

what about the other minorities or do Hispanic's and Asians just count as white?

If the hispanic community, asian community or any other minority raised the same concerns regarding nominations as the african american community did this year, I expect that you and others like you would belittle and dismiss it just as you have done with the african american community.

9 minutes ago, Mox said:

If the hispanic community, asian community or any other minority raised the same concerns regarding nominations as the african american community did this year, I expect that you and others like you would belittle and dismiss it just as you have done with the african american community.

African American? Here's a novel idea. Why not just refer to them as American? Because then that doesn't suit their agenda.

11 hours ago, TartanJon said:

Look don't get me wrong I like Luther but he's just a rotten actor. Have any of you watched Pacific Rim ffs ?

Few actors could have delivered those lines well. Awful film. Haven't seen Idris Elba in much else but he was great in The Office.

52 minutes ago, Ormond said:

African American? Here's a novel idea. Why not just refer to them as American? Because then that doesn't suit their agenda.

Correct. They sing and dance about equality but harp on about being black

If you want treated equally then you have to take the rough with the smooth 

10 minutes ago, DoonTheSlope said:

Correct. They sing and dance about equality but harp on about being black

If you want treated equally then you have to take the rough with the smooth 

The usual suspects who live in their mainstream media bubble will be along in a moment to call you a racist. <_<