Memories Of Terracing At Football - Football related - Discussion of non TA football - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Memories Of Terracing At Football

This is taken from Chelsea v Arsenal at Stamford Bridge in 1947. This was still happening at games in the 70's. I certainly witnessed it at the Scottish Cup Final in 73 and Easter Rd in 75. These lads are being passed to the front.

I stood at the front at Hampden is 73 and waiting for my old man to come and get me at the end of the game. Not a bad achievement in a crowd of 123000

Just to add the Tannadice terrace under the under the shed that divided the Rangers fans and Utd was pretty amazing. When it was packed the motion of the crowd meant you had no control of where you went. It was pretty steep.

CZf8FtXWkAAiWMy.jpg

Edited by EddardStark

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Remember being in jungle at a rangers cup final many moons ago. For some reason it was at parkhead. Some atmosphere. And pittodrie when rangers won for first time in years.

I remember that game for the rangers fans chanting...

:sing: "singing the sash in the jungle, sash in the jungle"

Which was quite funny at the time.

Loved the old rugby park.

Have great memories of us climbing the leagues with some great days.

Beating Rangers in front of almost 20000 second last day of the season to give us hope of survival was a fitting way to grace the last game at the old place. Promotion from 2nd division against Cowdenbeath with about 10k there, promotion to Premier League against Hamilton with 12k there. Great times.

Was actually talking to a younger lad (21) about this on Saturday. Must be shite growing up watching football now.

Edited by Squirrelhumper

I was at the league cup final in 1993 at parkhead. The terracing was jam packed that day and was mental when we equalised. Unfortunately super ally scored the winner with an overhead kick.

I also think they had just put seats in the jungle.

Derby day in the old gorgie road end was also brilliant I was very young when stevie Archibald made it 2-0 and really couldn't see a thing about 87-88 maybe

Loved the old rugby park.

Have great memories of us climbing the leagues with some great days.

Beating Rangers in front of almost 20000 second last day of the season to give us hope of survival was a fitting way to grace the last game at the old place. Promotion from 2nd division against Cowdenbeath with about 10k there, promotion to Premier League against Hamilton with 12k there. Great times.

Was actually talking to a younger lad (21) about this on Saturday. Must be shite growing up watching football now.

I remember going to the old rugby park, must've been not long before they started rebuilding it. (Must've been about 1992?)

Only real memory was that George Mcluskey's boy was a ball boy and was taking pelters from a load of boys in the Motherwell end that knew him from Uddingston.

I think Tommy Burns might've been playing?

Good old fashioned ground!

Remember being in the old beach end with my dad at pittodrie! Atmosphere was electric.. Pittodrie died when they bulldozed that stand in his opinion?

The Beach End was a fantastic old end but it had bench seats in so not really terracing.

Remember being in jungle at a rangers cup final many moons ago. For some reason it was at parkhead. Some atmosphere. And pittodrie when rangers won for first time in years.

My dad - Rangers fan - used to go with a "mixed" crowd to Old Firm games in the late 50s/early 60s and would regularly go into the Jungle with Celtic supporting mates, apparently it was not that uncommon. He said you'd get a bit of slagging but no worse. Different days though.

I remember going to the old rugby park, must've been not long before they started rebuilding it. (Must've been about 1992?)

Only real memory was that George Mcluskey's boy was a ball boy and was taking pelters from a load of boys in the Motherwell end that knew him from Uddingston.

I think Tommy Burns might've been playing?

Good old fashioned ground!

We played you there 89 or 90 in a cup replay. We also played you twice in first season after promotion before the terracing came down.

Burns was player /manager.

New years day 1994 in what is now the Jock Stein against the dead club.

2-0 down after about 3 minutes and people throwing bottles around and trying to invade the pitch. Crazy stuff to see as an 8 year old .

Thank God there wasn't any smokebombs though

I was at this game too and remains my favourite ever match following Rangers. 1 nil after 58 seconds. Utter utter bedlam in our end. Dunno if you will remember this, but most folk had you as favourites to win this match. You were on a good run since Macari had come in. I think the opener may well have been the first goal you had conceded at home under him? Our form had been very indifferent in the run up to it to say the least.

Only disappointment was that we took our foot off the gas in the second half. It was a complete doing from start to finish, but the final scoreline 2-4 doesn't really reflect that.

BTW, there was no 'trying' about it. One of your lot leapt off a stretcher and attacked Ally Maxwell after the 3rd goal went in.

Incidentally that was the last OF game to be played on New Years Day.

I was just a young laddie in this days but Particularly enjoyed trips to Parkhead, Tynecastle and the Beach End at Pittodrie as there was always an incredible atmosphere at the 3 of them. Always remember the guys watching the game from the windows of the tenement flats at the back of the away end at Tynecastle.

Agree with Macy, Would have them back in a second. Proper football grounds back then.

The New Year OF game in 1988 always sticks in my head from times in the Jungle. From the fantastic to the embarrassing all in one afternoon. Centenary season, Celtic 2 Rangers 0, McAvennie was brilliant the whole of the time he was with us that season, best centre forward up til Larsson I seen. 2 goals that day.

This was also the first game after the Ibrox game where Butcher, Woods and McAvennie had the bust up in the goal mouth. Memories include big Sex Baillie nailing Chris Woods near the end of the game meaning Roberts had to go in goals again. Cue lots of "Roberts Roberts sing the Sash" from The Jungle as Rangers were gubbed as this was after his previous "choir conducting" at the Ibrox game. Also the "Happy Birthday dear Celtic" after the goals.

Unfortunately it was also Mark Walters debut and he took ridiculous abuse that day. My mate took a particularly rotten banana to his shoulder from the back of the Jungle during the game.

Agree with the OP on the Dundee Utd terracing. Folk should have been harnessed in when entering that terracing.

I was at this game too and remains my favourite ever match following Rangers. 1 nil after 58 seconds. Utter utter bedlam in our end. Dunno if you will remember this, but most folk had you as favourites to win this match. You were on a good run since Macari had come in. I think the opener may well have been the first goal you had conceded at home under him? Our form had been very indifferent in the run up to it to say the least.

Only disappointment was that we took our foot off the gas in the second half. It was a complete doing from start to finish, but the final scoreline 2-4 doesn't really reflect that.

BTW, there was no 'trying' about it. One of your lot leapt off a stretcher and attacked Ally Maxwell after the 3rd goal went in.

Incidentally that was the last OF game to be played on New Years Day.

I was just a young laddie in this days but Particularly enjoyed trips to Parkhead, Tynecastle and the Beach End at Pittodrie as there was always an incredible atmosphere at the 3 of them. Always remember the guys watching the game from the windows of the tenement flats at the back of the away end at Tynecastle.

Agree with Macy, Would have them back in a second. Proper football grounds back then.

I don't remember being thought of as the favourites but it was a long time ago so who knows.

The Maxwell incident kind of rings a bell now actually. I started the game behind the goal but after the Rangers 3rd we were taken on to the track and moved round to the corner of the north stand due to safety concerns.

Edited by Haggis McBasher

The Beach End had the bench seating put in the early 70s. Have vague recollection of being at a Dons v Dundee New Year game when it still terracing. I'd have have been very young and would have been my 1st visit to Pittodrie.

Agree with comments on Tannadice and section January.

Dens opposite the main stand was good too before the benches came in. Mayhem in there at the LC semi final v Hibs there in 78 when Stuart Kennedy scored from a cross in extra time.

Used to enjoy standing with my pal in splendid isolation on the empty terracing watching dundee united away in the hope of getting a kick of the ball when bannon hit a shot. Never happened and I must have been to loads of games.

Always enjoyed fir park and rugby park.

Don't think I've ever been to a ground with terracing.

Excluding junior/highland league I suppose.

Infact,I remember standing at Alloa a few years back in the Scottish cup when it was pissing down.

Was that terracing,or just a hill?

Edited by dandydunn

I don't remember being thought of as the favourites but it was a long time ago so who knows.

The Maxwell incident kind of rings a bell now actually. I started the game behind the goal but after the Rangers 3rd we were taken on to the track and moved round to the corner of the north stand due to safety concerns.

My memory is that you lot had started the season poorly then beat us at Ibrox through a last minute Brian O'Neil goal in Macari's first game in charge. You then had a decent run of results up to the next OF game where all hell broke loose.

You saying that made me Google a few articles. I think it's maybe the fact that we were playing poorly in the lead up that made me think you were favourites as it doesn't seem like many of your fans would have agreed with that. Your results were indeed pretty decent but it was completely shambolic off the field and it appears none of you were happy with Macari being appointed in the first place. Anyway rather than me type it out have a butchers at the link.

I only read the 93-94 part of this but I imagine it would be a decent read for you and any other Tims on here. Enjoy

http://www.ntvcelticfanzine.com/the%2090s/90s9091pt1.htm