Memories Of Terracing At Football - Page 2 - Football related - Discussion of non TA football - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Memories Of Terracing At Football

Enjoyed a good few games on the terracing, mainly Love Street, Celtic Park and Firhill initially but my first memory of a really big crowd was the '92 Skol Cup Final, which Rangers won in ET. It was also my first visit to Hampden. It must have been one of the last games before redevelopment too?

I remember thinking how amazing Hampden looked with the old South Stand and the part covered terracing at the other end. When big Dunc equalised it was bedlam. Then, the roar from the other end at the winner. Not a sound to ever want to hear but there is something about it when you are surrounded by silence.

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The Beach End had the bench seating put in the early 70s. Have vague recollection of being at a Dons v Dundee New Year game when it still terracing. I'd have have been very young and would have been my 1st visit to Pittodrie.

Agree with comments on Tannadice and section January.

Dens opposite the main stand was good too before the benches came in. Mayhem in there at the LC semi final v Hibs there in 78 when Stuart Kennedy scored from a cross in extra time.

Did it? I always just remembered it as a terrace. I wasn't alive in the 70's so I'm clearly talking shite :)

Since we're talking about OF New Years Day games, I remember the 1987 one at Ibrox, 2-0 to Rangers. Was out all night drinking and got the supporters bus up. Was in the East Enclosure where one of the guys I was with fell asleep standing up.

Enjoyed a good few games on the terracing, mainly Love Street, Celtic Park and Firhill initially but my first memory of a really big crowd was the '92 Skol Cup Final, which Rangers won in ET. It was also my first visit to Hampden. It must have been one of the last games before redevelopment too?

I remember thinking how amazing Hampden looked with the old South Stand and the part covered terracing at the other end. When big Dunc equalised it was bedlam. Then, the roar from the other end at the winner. Not a sound to ever want to hear but there is something about it when you are surrounded by silence.

I was in the family section for that game, as I was for the game that you boys won a couple of years earlier. Both sets of fans mixing freely. I even got a cuddle from a big Dons fan at the final whistle as I was greeting my beads oot.

It's a shame how it's all gone, that sort if thing is unthinkable now......and I don't mean because we were in the final smart erses :)

Since we're talking about OF New Years Day games, I remember the 1987 one at Ibrox, 2-0 to Rangers. Was out all night drinking and got the supporters bus up. Was in the East Enclosure where one of the guys I was with fell asleep standing up.

I was in the Celtic enclosure at Ibrox on the day of the Ian Andrews game. Rather bizarrely the main stand above it was all Rangers meaning a lot of Rangers fans above those in the enclosure. I remember at about 3 or 4-1 an Anton Rogan lookalike in the enclosure trying to gob on the Rangers fans in the stand above. That didn't go well for those standing about 10ft behind him in the enclosure.

I also remember a car of Rangers fans coming down past main stand and along to Broomlan Road end at the end of game, scarves hanging out the windows, honking their horn and making various GIRFUY gestures and comments. Their car quickly got swamped by Celtic fans and totalled. This wasn't too long after the soldiers had driven down the wrong street at the IRA funeral in Belfast and been dragged from their cars. I was very surprised the same didn't happen to the fans in that car.

Great days under the Shed at Firhill - pies and all sorts getting lobbed over the segregation fence (Flora had a £500 Boss suede jacket he'd just bought ruined by a flying pie thrown from the Thistle side).

The Johnny Walker end at Rugby Park, Broomfield and Brockville were all aways to look forward to.

I am sure this has happened to a few folk. My mate who was the biggest poser ever Scotland England in 84 he turned up wae white baseball boots white jeans and a red cavalry officers jacket. Now for the dust alone we new he was gaun tae get manky but somebody decided tae pish right doon the back of his white jeans. Clarty I know but still makes me chuckle tae this day.

Great days under the Shed at Firhill - pies and all sorts getting lobbed over the segregation fence (Flora had a £500 Boss suede jacket he'd just bought ruined by a flying pie thrown from the Thistle side).

The Johnny Walker end at Rugby Park, Broomfield and Brockville were all aways to look forward to.

I have a very vivid memory of a Rangers game at Firhill in the pissing rain and McCoist scoring a last minute winner and I can remember the place going absolutely mental! Would probably have been around 93 I would think.

I have a very vivid memory of a Rangers game at Firhill in the pissing rain and McCoist scoring a last minute winner and I can remember the place going absolutely mental! Would probably have been around 93 I would think.

94 it was. Midweek game quite late in the season. I think we won the league that year without even playing and with a few games to go. Didn't win any of our last 5 as I recall.

94 it was. Midweek game quite late in the season. I think we won the league that year without even playing and with a few games to go. Didn't win any of our last 5 as I recall.

Aye, thanks to Walter for playing Hateley at centre half in the match mentioned by Squirrelhumper previously.

* Tynecastle behind the goal in the corner wisnae bad either.

It was shite down the front though. I think the terracing went below pitch level!

Edited by Toepoke

Old Starks Park was quirky, the shed roofs behind the goals with "Nelson's Tipped Cigarettes" written on them. How long had those ads been there? :o

I think East End Park was my favourite of the old grounds, with the curved covered terracing behind the goals.

1990s stadium designers were the fitba equivalent of 1960s town planners!

Old Starks Park was quirky, the shed roofs behind the goals with "Nelson's Tipped Cigarettes" written on them. How long had those ads been there? :o

I think East End Park was my favourite of the old grounds, with the curved covered terracing behind the goals.

1990s stadium designers were the fitba equivalent of 1960s town planners!

A great period touch - when I first visited Starks it was like being transported back to the 1950s. Edited by Charlie Endell

Loved the old rugby park.

Have great memories of us climbing the leagues with some great days.

Beating Rangers in front of almost 20000 second last day of the season to give us hope of survival was a fitting way to grace the last game at the old place. Promotion from 2nd division against Cowdenbeath with about 10k there, promotion to Premier League against Hamilton with 12k there. Great times.

Was actually talking to a younger lad (21) about this on Saturday. Must be shite growing up watching football now.

was at the Hamilton game that day and said to my mates that there has to 20000 in rugby park also there was a lock out aswell think if l remember right there was a further few thousand locked out we had some away support in them days aswell

Remember When I was a wee lad and started going to Tannadice mid 70s standing behind goal United were shooting towards then walked round behind other goal in second half. Then in later years it was the Shed for me. Celtic/Rangers used to get half and we got other half. Bottles and cans flying! frightening stuff .

was at the Hamilton game that day and said to my mates that there has to 20000 in rugby park also there was a lock out aswell think if l remember right there was a further few thousand locked out

My old man dogged the school to go to a Killie v Rangers replay in the 50s, nearly 35,000 there on a Wednesday afternoon. Quite a few sickies pulled that day...

* Tynecastle behind the goal in the corner wisnae bad either.

The old shed at Tynecastle was a great place. Went there for years.

To this day I still take a fond look over the where we used to stand and get all misty eyed.