Memories Of Terracing At Football - Page 3 - Football related - Discussion of non TA football - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Memories Of Terracing At Football

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Loved the old rugby park.

Have great memories of us climbing the leagues with some great days.

Beating Rangers in front of almost 20000 second last day of the season to give us hope of survival was a fitting way to grace the last game at the old place. Promotion from 2nd division against Cowdenbeath with about 10k there, promotion to Premier League against Hamilton with 12k there. Great times.

Was actually talking to a younger lad (21) about this on Saturday. Must be shite growing up watching football now.

Was at the cowdenbeath game but my dad thought I was to young for the terrace so had to sit in the main stand. Missed the Hamilton game but was at the game before at cowdenbeath where we were assured promotion. We were ready to invade the pitch after the safety fence fell down but PC plod moved in and made sure we couldn't had to make do with surrounding the portacabin change rooms after the game.

Loved going to the piggery with killie. Always a fantastic atmosphere. Had many great times in the shed when I used to go with the bus from the vic. Great bunch of lads and we always ended up standing near the new farm mob so had a good laugh with them

forfar1.jpg?m=1364055196

ahh the Firhill shed with the rear wall where the smell of pish was palpable

remember being in a small hardy group of shed boys at the pie stall totally unsegregated in with the blue filth - lobbed a dripping greasy pie at a celebrating rangers fans gub just after bobby russell had scored a dubious goal in off the bar - caught him a belter square on the chops the dirty unwashed basted!

don't think I was responsible for floras jacket though ... :guitar:

https://youtu.be/BsuouIM11zE

My fave ever day on the terraces. 6000+ away fans at Easter Road.

We're a shell of the club I grew up supporting.

I was at the Motherwell v Stj Johnstone game that day. Remember Andy Rhodes booting a water bottle at full time when they realised they were relegated.

The Killie end in the video looked rocking!

Got a couple of bad memories of Easter road, we went in about 88/89 when I was 7 or 8, and there were serious battles when some hibs casuals came through the fence and started fighting the 'well fans. Remember the police just watching it, and a guy with his face covered in blood being carried out!!

Loved standing in the wee enclosure in front of the main stand at fir park as a kid. Felt like I knew everybody in that wee bit, my dad and his pals, his dad and his pals, and I still go to the games today with my mate I met standing down at the wall.

Best individual memory though would be the 1991 Scottish cup final, we stood near the steps so that I could see, right in the middle of the west stand.

Honourable mention to broomfield, brockville and firhill.

One from brockville I remember was the night the lights went out at half time, and they were a bit careless handing out the tickets for the replay. The terrace was rammed for the replay, there were 4 of us there the 1st time, took 2 cars with 7 of us the second time.

:lol:

Happy days!

Got a couple of bad memories of Easter road, we went in about 88/89 when I was 7 or 8, and there were serious battles when some hibs casuals came through the fence and started fighting the 'well fans. Remember the police just watching it, and a guy with his face covered in blood being carried out!!

I remember that game well. The ship I was on was in Rosyth for the weekend, so I took the opportunity to take a few of the English lads to see the Mighty 'Well.

When it all kicked off, one of the Hibee boys grabbed one of my mates and gave him the big "Who are you?" to which he replied "Lincoln City mate", the look on the Hibee was priceless :-)) :-))

forfar1.jpg?m=1364055196

remember being in a small hardy group of shed boys at the pie stall totally unsegregated in with the blue filth - lobbed a dripping greasy pie at a celebrating rangers fans gub just after bobby russell had scored a dubious goal in off the bar - caught him a belter square on the chops the dirty unwashed basted!

Ah, double denim 'n' docs. Great photo.

Edited by Charlie Endell

forfar1.jpg?m=1364055196

Stored for the next time people are moaning about getting stuff thrown at them at Ibrox! :wink2:

Great memories of Cappielow, the old Brockville and Broomfield too.

Nothing beats the jungle though. I can remember one old firm game where McCoist scored after 50 seconds or something just as we arrived. It took us half an hour to make our way round to our usual spot under the camera gantry and just as we got there we equalised and I lost everyone. It wasnt unusual to lose all your mates for a good 20 minutes after a goal was scored with all the swaying and crushing....and then the joy of finding one another again! I think gorgeous George McCluskey bagged a late winner that day (some player on his day).

I miss the atmosphere of those days but I would not want to go back to it. The crushing was downright dangerous at times and I had a few narrow escapes and I certainly dont miss some jake ball pishing down my leg or some of the casual violence. I remember an almighty scrap at the back of the Rangers end at Hampden at a cup semi against United. Someone belted a police horse and it took off into the crowd, how someone wasnt killed that night I'll never know. The worst violence I saw was at an old firm game unsurprisingly, Glasgow Cup final it was, although not in the way you imagine. A group Celtic and Rangers fans from Blantyre and a group of Rangers fans from Larkhall landed in the same carriage. The Larky boys saw an oportunity to give the outnumbered Celtic fans a doing not realising that the Blantyre boys would stick together. It was utter carniage made all the worse by some poor old soak pulling the emergency cord in fright. By the time the train pulled into Newton station the blood was running out the doors.

I think those of us who experienced the days of the terraces are understandably romantic about it but it wasnt all great as you can see. Always look forward never back!

Edited by slasher

I think those of us who experienced the days of the terraces are understandably romantic about it but it wasnt all great as you can see. Always look forward never back!

I think it would be good if they brought back standing at football - there's enough evidence of safe standing working on the continent and it would get rid of the most unsafest option, standing in sitting areas - but you wouldn't get me back on the terracing for love nor money.

I think it would be good if they brought back standing at football - there's enough evidence of safe standing working on the continent and it would get rid of the most unsafest option, standing in sitting areas - but you wouldn't get me back on the terracing for love nor money.

It would certainly be good to have the choice. The game would be so much better if Police Scotland werent running things!

Stored for the next time people are moaning about getting stuff thrown at them at Ibrox! :wink2:

you're welcome - been well behaved since the JH stand went up but it's a soulless existence - gone are the days of goading the section B as they trooped through our part of the shed to stand at the opposite side of the fence or swapping ends at half-time

the π however is mightier than the pyro :cheers3:

Was at Cologne and Dortmund games in August and was standing on terraces at both games.

Not only that, but was drinking beer on the terraces at only 3 euros a pint.

Great atmosphere and no bother.

They are so far ahead of us in Europe.

I do remember watching Saints at Dens on the terracing in Jan 78, and walking out of the ground and it was just a solid carpet of empty Tennents cans......won 4-3 as well!!

Nothing beats the jungle though. I can remember one old firm game where McCoist scored after 50 seconds or something just as we arrived.

!

33 seconds it was. His first of 27 against you boys.

It was a record for nearly 20 years until Sutton scored at Ibrox (19 seconds rings a bell). He was also on the losing side that day.

you're welcome - been well behaved since the JH stand went up but it's a soulless existence - gone are the days of goading the section B as they trooped through our part of the shed to stand at the opposite side of the fence or swapping ends at half-time

the π however is mightier than the pyro :cheers3:

:sing:

Section B ,

Section B !!!!

Couple of memories visiting other teams whilst abroad at a Scotland game.

1) Terracing in Haarlem (at least I think it was) for the Omniworld match. Great fun with the Dutch guys telling us "You come in the North Bank with us".

2) Vlasim v Dukla Prague - some of the guys went in the away gate and ended up in the cage with us next to them.

Other ones when I was 8 years old - Brockville in 1969 - for 3 Junior Cup semi final games between Kirkintilloch Rob Roy and Linlithgow Rose.

Scotland v Wales rugby match at the old Murrayfield with 104,000 there - as a teenager we were taken out of the terracing and sat on the pitch behind the posts.

https://youtu.be/BsuouIM11zE

My fave ever day on the terraces. 6000+ away fans at Easter Road.

We're a shell of the club I grew up supporting.

Was bored on nightshift so was having a look at the league tables that season.

Was it just the same as the pre-split games now and everyone played each other 3 times? Guessing it must be luck of the draw.

Also checked and Killie would have won the league on goal difference if it was 3 points for a win!

Think I've been on the terraces of all the big clubs and of course Hampden in Scotland.

I did like the old Parkhead for the view if not the poor facilities.

Brockville was another favourite maybe more so because I only ever saw lose once there.

The enclosure at Ibrox was not a pleasant experience. Surrounded by knuckledraggers after we took the lead.