Biggest Football Stadiums In Scotland - Page 2 - Football related - Discussion of non TA football - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Biggest Football Stadiums In Scotland

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Only 16 so no idea what it was like in previous years however my cup final was played there last year, and i thought youd be lucky to get 2500 there without it being packed? The stand holds 700 if that and the other grass embankments dont go back very far at all. Might be wrong though but I'd honestly be very shocked if if it was even possible to get more than 3000 in that place today

Do you remember if it used to be concrete all the way round or did I imagine it?

Not to my knowledge.

Are you maybe thinking of there previous ground Dovecot Park which I preferred,much better and better playing surface . A tidy wee ground,a few concrete steps of terracing along one side but no stand

Only 16 so no idea what it was like in previous years however my cup final was played there last year, and i thought youd be lucky to get 2500 there without it being packed? The stand holds 700 if that and the other grass embankments dont go back very far at all. Might be wrong though but I'd honestly be very shocked if if it was even possible to get more than 3000 in that place today

I agree but when there was over 5000 in don't think they gave two hoots about health and safety,obviously.Must have been supporters on top of other supporters shoulders

Stand holds just over 700

I agree but when there was over 5000 in don't think they gave two hoots about health and safety,obviously.Must have been supporters on top of other supporters shoulders

Stand holds just over 700

Yeah must of been hectic with that many people! And aw fair enough wasnt sure how much it could hold

Few Athletics stadiums have surprising capacities. Grangemouth Stadium where Falkirk Juniors play holds over 9000

Motherwell played a pre-season friendly there (Bradford?), and I was considering going. Dodged a bullet as I thought the "Grangemouth stadium" was just the new name for the Falkirk stadium (which is in Grangemouth....)

:lol:

Given the Scottish Women's team played in an indoor stadium last night ( and got humped . . . can you say that about a Ladies team?) I wonder if the Hydro in Glasgow could pull that off?

Maybe if they start playing 5's.

If only there was an indoor pitch within 100 yards of Hampden - that would be useful.

Motherwell played a pre-season friendly there (Bradford?), and I was considering going. Dodged a bullet as I thought the "Grangemouth stadium" was just the new name for the Falkirk stadium (which is in Grangemouth....)

:lol:

It's not in Grangemouth at all m8. The grangemouth side of Falkirk, right enough I'll give you that :)

Shotts Bon Accord have a big old stadium.

No idea on capacity now though but looked big when I went

Lesmahagow (currently managed by ex-Thistle player Billy Macdonald) managed to get 18,000 / 19,000 (I can't remember the exact figure) into Craighead Park for a Junior Cup tie (against - I think - Irvine Meadow) back in the late '40s / early '50s - seems incredible -

SeasonsEnd2013+051.JPG

Played there a few times in my youth. It is a big natural amphitheater so you could imagine a good few thousand there no problem.

Also played against McDonald a good few times as we are the same age. Good to see that he carried on his "greeting wee fud" persona right through his career.

l know that the junior game used to get big crowds back in the day just out of interest what is the largest crowd for a Scottish junior cup final ?

Lifted from Wikipedia:-

"The record attendance for a Junior Cup Final is 77,650 for the 1951 final between Petershill and Irvine Meadow XI."

I can verify cause my old man was at it.

Do you remember if it used to be concrete all the way round or did I imagine it?

I was actually at the opening game at Warout...1975 (I was young :-)

It used to be concreted the whole way round, no idea if it still is.

Quoting attendance figures at Junior grounds is a bit misleading. Lochgelly Albert once squeezed 11000 into Gardiners Park, and the ground hasn't changed a jot since these days..

I don't think that means the official capacity is 11000 though... :wink2:

I was actually at the opening game at Warout...1975 (I was young :-)

It used to be concreted the whole way round, no idea if it still is.

Quoting attendance figures at Junior grounds is a bit misleading. Lochgelly Albert once squeezed 11000 into Gardiners Park, and the ground hasn't changed a jot since these days..

I don't think that means the official capacity is 11000 though... :wink2:

Photos suggest it's grass slopes on three sides now. The stairs are still there though, bizarrely.