Great Train Stations - Page 4 - Anything Goes - Other topics not covered elsewhere - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

• Replies 117
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Vaguely related, I'm fair enjoying Michael Portillo's Great American Train Journey thingy just now.

Say what you like about the old Tory, but he puts on a good train show.

Yup, a real transformation in his public persona.

In respect of train stations, always think the inside of York is a wee bit special.

In respect of train stations, always think the inside of York is a wee bit special.

I think his electoral humiliation in 1997 mellowed him (it allowed him some time for self-reflection) - it appeared as if he was almost trying too hard for acceptance by the right wing of the Conservative party - possibly because he felt that having a foreign surname was held against him (he said that he would never be prime minister because his surname was Portillo).

Edited by Charlie Endell

I go there regularly & it is impressive (Darlington is also good one in it's own way, an imposing building about a half-mile out of the town centre). The brand new council building just across the road in York is built on what was the site of the original York station, but which had to be closed as rail traffic from London to the NE & beyond increased (trains had to reverse out of it thus slowing down the journey).

Vaguely related, I'm fair enjoying Michael Portillo's Great American Train Journey thingy just now.

Say what you like about the old Tory, but he puts on a good train show.

I liked the one when he went to numerous stations in Scotland, England and Wales, doing a wee summary of each town. He got off at Larkhall station and gave a glowing description of... Strathaven.

This pub is something special

6393980313_c7cdffc8d9_b.jpg

Cracking selection of ales! :ok:

I liked the one when he went to numerous stations in Scotland, England and Wales, doing a wee summary of each town. He got off at Larkhall station and gave a glowing description of... Strathaven.

To be fair he got off at Larky mentioned where he was then went to a bakers in Stathaven which is allegedly the oldest bakers in Scotland or something. Iy was a bit disappointing he didn't mention the Thistle as their park is right beside the station and he could also have got to Curlies in a minute and wondered at their extensive collection of Rangers' memorabilia.

Cracking selection of ales! :ok:

Agreed. Even by York standards it was excellent.

I think it's better from the outside than it is from inside.

Agreed. Sitting out the front with a nice beer watching trains go by. Very pleasant way to wait for a train bus replacement service.

I've been in Newcastle a couple of times lately & the Centurion Bar is an impressive spot:

2-01.jpg

That is a cracking bar was going to mention it but wasn't sure if it was technically in the station as it's in the hotel (splitting hairs I know), I have a vague recollection of really scabby pub in the station.

That is a cracking bar was going to mention it but wasn't sure if it was technically in the station as it's in the hotel (splitting hairs I know), I have a vague recollection of really scabby pub in the station.

I don't know the building history well enough but it looks like it was probably part of the station at one time. And I had my pint while waiting for my train so I'm counting it.

Edit to add I think there was a plaque inside saying it had been recently done up so the scabby pub might have been the same one pre-renovation?

Edited by Huddersfield

I don't know the building history well enough but it looks like it was probably part of the station at one time. And I had my pint while waiting for my train so I'm counting it.

Edit to add I think there was a plaque inside saying it had been recently done up so the scabby pub might have been the same one pre-renovation?

The scabby pub was on the opposite side of the main entrance from the Centurion next to WH Smiths, though I may have dreamt this.

I've never been to Sheffield railway station but this looks superb (although the article calls it 'Sheffield train station' and contains this Stayt-esque howler - '...sat alone and in silence...') -

http://www.theguardian.com/uk/the-northerner/2013/mar/20/sheffield-pubs

Edited by Charlie Endell