Another Industry Bites The Dust - Anything Goes - Other topics not covered elsewhere - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Another Industry Bites The Dust

I am beyond shocked at this news. I worked there for a year at the time of the takeover and TI were really committed to Greenock plus Nat Semi had invested heavily in new equipment on the site. Unfortunately, it's a very tough industry driven very much by demand from other industries which made it very much boom and bust. The Greenock Fab was much, much bigger in the 80s - actually had three factories on the site and something like 2000 working there. Now it's only around 400 and a percentage of them are agency staff because they needed to flex up and down regularly due to production demand.

It's dreadful for the workforce - they had an average length of service at something ridiculous like 25 years and whole families working in the place. I really feel for them because they are very skilled and there's absolutely nothing left in Scotland for them so if they want to progress they'll need to re-locate.

Don't worry, it's in the Central Belt, so the Scottish Government will be along to save it in a minute.

It's Inverclyde - I think you'll find that doesn't apply.

I am beyond shocked at this news. I worked there for a year at the time of the takeover and TI were really committed to Greenock plus Nat Semi had invested heavily in new equipment on the site. Unfortunately, it's a very tough industry driven very much by demand from other industries which made it very much boom and bust. The Greenock Fab was much, much bigger in the 80s - actually had three factories on the site and something like 2000 working there. Now it's only around 400 and a percentage of them are agency staff because they needed to flex up and down regularly due to production demand.

It's dreadful for the workforce - they had an average length of service at something ridiculous like 25 years and whole families working in the place. I really feel for them because they are very skilled and there's absolutely nothing left in Scotland for them so if they want to progress they'll need to re-locate.

They'll need to relocate to Taiwan or mainland China or Leixlip (which is just as bad as the other two).

Hiya Jen :wave: Yeah, I've had a couple of shandies.

You've surprised even me with the 25yr average, though I'm beyond that (yeah, I work there folks). the service length just shows the lack of choice of jobs now - in what was a key industry for a time.

I really feel for the younger ones though and even more for kids lacking opportunities in the first place in Scotland with the way things are going.

Hiya Jen :wave: Yeah, I've had a couple of shandies.

Not surprised - and I don't think you'll be alone. Saw Pearl in the footage STV took from the outside of the site - usual type of stuff of long range shots of staff walking out the building but no one wanting to speak on camera. Am truly gutted for you all as I loved working there.