Private Car Parking Fines - Scotland - Anything Goes - Other topics not covered elsewhere - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Private Car Parking Fines - Scotland

Private or police. Private ignore. Do not make any contact. It's a civil case and to raise it they need a named person breaking the contract. JustJust ignore and they'll go away they'll send threatening looking letters, but they're toothless.

http://www.thecourier.co.uk/news/scotland/drivers-urged-not-to-pay-private-parking-fines-1.251312

https://www.citizensadvice.org.uk/scotland/consumer/transport/driving-and-parking/parking-tickets-s/parking-tickets-on-private-land-s/

Private or police. Private ignore. Do not make any contact. It's a civil case and to raise it they need a named person breaking the contract. JustJust ignore and they'll go away they'll send threatening looking letters, but they're toothless.

http://www.thecourier.co.uk/news/scotland/drivers-urged-not-to-pay-private-parking-fines-1.251312

https://www.citizensadvice.org.uk/scotland/consumer/transport/driving-and-parking/parking-tickets-s/parking-tickets-on-private-land-s/

:ok:

I've just got a fine through for driving in cathedral street glesga,I was using my sat nav and following the instructions looked up and saw I was about to enter a bus lane (on a sunday) moved out and carried on,pic 1 shows me outside the lane,pic 2 shows me moving out the lane after 20 feet any chance getting away with this I have appealed against it, bus lanes dont operate in aberdeen on sundays obviously they do in weeg city

I've just got a fine through for driving in cathedral street glesga,I was using my sat nav and following the instructions looked up and saw I was about to enter a bus lane (on a sunday) moved out and carried on,pic 1 shows me outside the lane,pic 2 shows me moving out the lane after 20 feet any chance getting away with this I have appealed against it, bus lanes dont operate in aberdeen on sundays obviously they do in weeg city

If there are signs up showing days and times they apply, you are fecked mate.

I don't agree about ignoring it; that's generally bad advice these days as the powers given to these scumbags has increased over recent years. It's correct though that it is an invoice (hence one very useful strategy is to ask for a VAT invoice which is rarely forthcoming), but before you decide what to do get your head around the real law on this (which I appreciate might be different in Scotland).

There are a lot of template letters around & have a read of this first before you ignore it:

http://forums.pepipoo.com/index.php?showtopic=79586

Also MoneySavingExpert & a website called The Prankster have plenty of legally sound advice. I'm not saying you should pay it by any means, but just make it as tricky as you can for them to enforce it.

Golden rue no. 1....don't ever tell them who was driving. Just respond as "the legal keeper of this vehicle" or similar.

Also, if you have a receipt or invoice from wherever you were they will nearly always cancel so go into shop if that's what it was & ask them to cancel it.

Good luck. I'm fighting one myself at the moment so empathise!!

I don't agree about ignoring it; that's generally bad advice these days as the powers given to these scumbags has increased over recent years. It's correct though that it is an invoice (hence one very useful strategy is to ask for a VAT invoice which is rarely forthcoming), but before you decide what to do get your head around the real law on this (which I appreciate might be different in Scotland).

There are a lot of template letters around & have a read of this first before you ignore it:

Also MoneySavingExpert & a website called The Prankster have plenty of legally sound advice. I'm not saying you should pay it by any means, but just make it as tricky as you can for them to enforce it.

Golden rue no. 1....don't ever tell them who was driving. Just respond as "the legal keeper of this vehicle" or similar.

Also, if you have a receipt or invoice from wherever you were they will nearly always cancel so go into shop if that's what it was & ask them to cancel it.

There are rakes of them round my way now mate, including Forth Valley hospital where my Mrs works. She and her work colleagues have had loads of slips between them, as well as a letter. All ignored and never heard another word about it.

I appreciate you may have had a different experience but I've never spoken to anyone where these have been taken further. Get them binned I say.

Completely different laws in scotlad concerning this.... And completely ignore is the correct tactic.

If we're quoting money-saving expert see the flowchart here http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=4922055

Fair play if it's different; I wondered if it might be. Here there's increasing numbers of people doing nothing then landing in the Small Claims Court; then you have to start trying to persuade them & it's a 50-50 shot. I sorted one out for my daughter recently & hoping the one I have now disappears.

Council or police then pay, private just dingy it

yup, good point. do not ignore police or council. Disagree on just paying it. All depends on legality and accurate sanction. If you have legitimate grounds to contest then do so (unlikely in most official cases, but say you had a blue badge and you got police one for double yellow then contest).

Ignore private ones, the companies that run these work on a % basis hoping that 20% of the tickets issued will be paid for.

The land owner/ supermarket/ shopping centre is usually on a % of revenue generated

The sophisticated ones have the number plate recognition system and pay the DVLA £2.50 a pop to get address details

Less sophisticated like pub or shop car parks just have someone to take a couple of pics of your car and they are on a cut

There is a yard behind the High St near us with a private car park sign up and one of the neighbours overlooking it is on an earner for supplying info to the car park company.

Never enter into discussion with these companies and note they will direct you to use their appeals@ email address should you wish to appeal. Don't ever do this as by using an appeal you are sort of saying you have been found guilty

Been a week now and nothing through in the post - I'm I in the clear ?

You'll likely get two or three. But just ignore. You may even get a recorded delivery (check sender address before accepting)