Duncan Ferguson - Football related - Discussion of non TA football - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Everything signed to his wife ,then go bankrupt, not a lot of

penalties ,can't take up a company directorship etc ,aye that

would stop a lot o folk.

agreed, being skint and being declared bankrupt are too separate things

doubt he'll be living in a council house and driving a lada

Thought he was doing well with coaching at Everton? Is he still there?

There's something likeable about him, despite his demons and flaws.

He still is. Was on the bench Last night. I suspect this is more of a paper exercise to stop him losing rakes of dough.

Agree BTW, was always a bit gutted it didn't work out for him at us, and Scotland for that matter.

Allan Pattullo wrote a book on him called "In Search of Duncan Ferguson" which I thought was a great read. As said above he was an infectious character and loved wherever he went but had plenty demons and unfortunately he seemed to make more front page headlines than back.

He could have lead the line for Scotland for many years IMO but all ended on sour terms and he didnt get anywhere near as much caps as he should have.

Allan Pattullo wrote a book on him called "In Search of Duncan Ferguson" which I thought was a great read. As said above he was an infectious character and loved wherever he went but had plenty demons and unfortunately he seemed to make more front page headlines than back.

He could have lead the line for Scotland for many years IMO but all ended on sour terms and he didnt get anywhere near as much caps as he should have.

wonder if he was "loved" in the clink

Aye didnt he come out and say he regretted not playing for Scotland a wee while ago.

I do remember him being injured more than he actually played for Everton and Newcastle though

I do remember hearing the Liverpool fans singing one of the funniest (if slightly distasteful) songs I've heard based around Ferguson's injury record..

"In for a week and out for a month, Duncan is a tampon"!!

He was doing his coaching badges at Largs in the mid 00's, and one night me and the wife went for a meal in the Seamill Hydro and he was in the bar having a drink at the table next to us, so got chatting to him and found him to be a nice down to earth guy.

Aye didnt he come out and say he regretted not playing for Scotland a wee while ago.

I do remember him being injured more than he actually played for Everton and Newcastle though

He said no-one wanted to play for Scotland more than him and he wanted to get 100 caps but couldn't give in due to his fight with SFA.

After he got jailed they gave him a 12 match ban which (amongst other things) in the end lead to him refusing international selection in 97

I heard a story about what supposedly happened the night he beat up the two burglars in his house:

After games Duncan had a hard time switching off and would often sit up till all hours alone in a dark room replaying everything in his head, He was doing this when he heard the guys moving about in the kitchen. He went through and slammed one of them against the fridge which knocked the intruder out cold (and dented the fridge door quite spectacularly).

The other guy ran out the back door and Duncan followed him. It is at this point his wife phoned the neighbour, saying she think Duncan has killed the guy in the kitchen so the neighbour came round. When he looked out the back to see if he could see where Duncan and the burglar had ran too, instead of turning left (too freedom) the burglar had panicked and basically ran right through a hedgerow. Duncan followed him leaving a massive Big Dunc shaped hole in the hedge where then reappeared with the other burglar collared.

When the police came round the basically led the interview with questions like "So you were fearing for your life, weren't you Mr Ferguson?" when they seen the nick of the two burglars.

He was doing his coaching badges at Largs in the mid 00's, and one night me and the wife went for a meal in the Seamill Hydro and he was in the bar having a drink at the table next to us, so got chatting to him and found him to be a nice down to earth guy.

I have never met him personally and due to his self imposed ban on near all media sources there's not much you can go on other than what he did on the pitch and what you read in the papers but the book does tell how he is very laid back and loved his pigeons arguably more than he loved football.

Could imagine he is a great guy but trouble seemed to have a had a habit of finding him (as well as the other way around on a few occasions!) and he didn't try very hard to avoid it.

He said no-one wanted to play for Scotland more than him and he wanted to get 100 caps but couldn't give in due to his fight with SFA.

After he got jailed they gave him a 12 match ban which (amongst other things) in the end lead to him refusing international selection in 97

To be fair, I always thought he was badly treated by the SFA there was definately something vengeful about the way they dealt with his suspension. I could fully understand them deferring it until the court case was settled so as not to predjudice it but deferring it until he was released from prison was just wrong.

That said, anytime he did play he was entirely underwhelming. I'm not so sure that was entirely his fault though as the team just went for the lazy option of humping the ball up to him.

I have never met him personally and due to his self imposed ban on near all media sources there's not much you can go on other than what he did on the pitch and what you read in the papers but the book does tell how he is very laid back and loved his pigeons arguably more than he loved football.

Could imagine he is a great guy but trouble seemed to have a had a habit of finding him (as well as the other way around on a few occasions!) and he didn't try very hard to avoid it.

Did not really talk much football with him (just briefly how is he getting on at Everton and what he thought about a upcoming Scotland game) seemed really happy to chat about the view of the Clyde and Arran from his hotel window, walking along the beach in the morning and being in Largs for the weeks training course

Not related to big dunk specifically, but their seem to be a lot of footballers having to pay back sums to HMRC on the back of the ice-breaker types schemes being declared dodgy.

Think the Guardian said there were over 100 premier league players and ex-players down south in trouble. Know from experience these were actively marketed in Scotland.

So probably going to be seeing a lot more players in dunks shoes, over the coming months....

Not related to big dunk specifically, but their seem to be a lot of footballers having to pay back sums to HMRC on the back of the ice-breaker types schemes being declared dodgy.

Think the Guardian said there were over 100 premier league players and ex-players down south in trouble. Know from experience these were actively marketed in Scotland.

So probably going to be seeing a lot more players in dunks shoes, over the coming months....

Quite right too. Nothing worse than a tax cheat.