Eca Discussing Champs League Changes - Football related - Discussion of non TA football - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Eca Discussing Champs League Changes

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

They should just stop kidding around and turn it into a franchise where 24 teams are so are automatically in it and then give a token 8 spots for qualifying. Ditch the 'champions' title and just call it a super league.

Its what they want .And everyone that cares can whank themselves into a frenzy about it. Then the rest of us can just get on without it.

They should just stop kidding around and turn it into a franchise where 24 teams are so are automatically in it and then give a token 8 spots for qualifying. Ditch the 'champions' title and just call it a super league.

Its what they want .And everyone that cares can whank themselves into a frenzy about it. Then the rest of us can just get on without it.

Lost interest in the champions??? league years ago, just a way to make the big/rich clubs bigger/richer

How about Dundee Utd? We got to the semis once don't you know.

Winners only I'm afraid. And to keep the numbers down it'll need to be multiple winners or super rich only.

There'll be no chance ofany Scottish clubs being included.

Pile of nonsense

They should get back to the format where the CHAMPIONS of each country qualified, end of.

If they're unhappy with the likes of Bayern, PSG, etc being virtually guaranteed a spot then maybe they should also be lobbying FIFA to examine Mexico, USA, etc being virtually guaranteed a World Cup spot every four years instead.

I used to love the champions league when it first started, now I wouldn't open the curtains if they played it in my back garden.

The whole UEFA and European football set up is little short of a money making cartel designed to make the big boys as rich as possible and the rest can fight over the scraps. Kind of a reflection on society as a whole really.

The baw's well and truly burst.

Edited by DaveyDenoon

• 2 weeks later...

ECA senior vice-chairman Umberto Gandini said "It may be just a slight change to the access list, it may be many aspects of the competition that can be reviewed and adjusted."

Access list?!!!

ECA chairman Karl-Heinz Rummenigge has previously discussed "a tournament consisting of 20 teams from Italy, England, Spain, Germany and France"

The ECA represents more than 200 clubs, including all the biggest ones such as Real Madrid, Barcelona, Juventus, Bayern Munich, Manchester United and Chelsea.

There have been suggestions that these clubs should get direct entry into Europe's elite club football tournament, rather than through their domestic league position the previous season.

Rummenigge, who is chief executive of Bayern Munich, told a German newspaper last month: "A super league outside of the Champions League is being born. It will either be led by Uefa or by a separate entity, because there is a limit to how much money can be made."

Edited by ibelieve!!!

Hopefully their greed will eventually be their downfall. Today's empires, tomorrow's ashes.

Agreed

The view on City forums from fans seems to be that if this is what they want there should be 2 "Champions Leagues".

One for clubs that deserve to qualify & one for clubs that used to be good & are now shitting it that others are catching up/taking over.

This is thin end of the wedge that'll lead to a breakaway European league outside of UEFA with just the "big" teams,

This would be a move to franchise football i'd think. Could you buy a teams name and history (well apparently you can... :P ) and take their place in the league?

Could end up with Red star Bellshill v Grasshoppers of Swansea.

I can see a move to European football on weekends, with domestic football played midweek at some time in the future.

This would be a move to franchise football i'd think. Could you buy a teams name and history (well apparently you can... :P ) and take their place in the league?

Could end up with Red star Bellshill v Grasshoppers of Swansea.

I can see a move to European football on weekends, with domestic football played midweek at some time in the future.

I think the big teams envisage a closed shop NFL type structure.

If its a closed shop then EUFA offers nothing to Scottish domestic clubs - time to break away, organise own TV rights (or forfeit any TV coverage) and get games played at 3pm on a Sat.

However seeing as we can't even decide on a league structure I can't see the clubs agreeing to anything as dramatic as a breakaway.

As long as they can attract big companies/rich overseas owners, they will keep doing it, and make football more elitist. I see there have been demonstrations against ticket prices in the Bundesliga, as well as at Liverpool this weekend. The NFL model works in the USA, and that's where it's heading.