Eca Discussing Champs League Changes - Page 2 - Football related - Discussion of non TA football - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Eca Discussing Champs League Changes

If its a closed shop then EUFA offers nothing to Scottish domestic clubs - time to break away, organise own TV rights (or forfeit any TV coverage) and get games played at 3pm on a Sat.

However seeing as we can't even decide on a league structure I can't see the clubs agreeing to anything as dramatic as a breakaway.

There will be no small market clubs in any breakaway European league there are enough teams in England, Germany, Italy, France and Spain to support to 2 16 to 20 team leagues if they felt they needed to go that big.

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

These greedy ###### big clubs will end up destroying themselves. There'll be no promotion or relegation so it'll be the same teams all the time. People are already becoming bored of it.

Even financial fair play is a way of keeping the small clubs small.

Best described as "the big clubs pulling the ladder up behind themselves" by Paul Seras the guy on the world football phone in.

If its a closed shop then EUFA offers nothing to Scottish domestic clubs - time to break away, organise own TV rights (or forfeit any TV coverage) and get games played at 3pm on a Sat.

However seeing as we can't even decide on a league structure I can't see the clubs agreeing to anything as dramatic as a breakaway.

Break away from what?

These greedy ###### big clubs will end up destroying themselves. There'll be no promotion or relegation so it'll be the same teams all the time. People are already becoming bored of it.

Hmmm, I dunno, that doesn't seem to affect the popularity of the same 32 NFL teams each year.

I think it would be a marketing behemoth with insane amounts of money throw at it. And kids would grow up supporting a soul-less franchise at the European level, and maybe a local team in the domestic kiddy-on level.

Sounds horrible, but inevitable.

Are British /European fans as docile as their Yank counterparts?

I'm not so sure.

Unfortunately yes. Look at all the European and English strips the kids wear. Look at number of Old Firm fans there are in Edinburgh, Dundee and Aberdeen. Look at number of people on here who support English clubs or only Scotland.

Unfortunately yes. Look at all the European and English strips the kids wear. Look at number of Old Firm fans there are in Edinburgh, Dundee and Aberdeen. Look at number of people on here who support English clubs or only Scotland.

My nephew has got several foreign teams jerseys but also almost every Ross County strip and t-shirt going, I presume quite a lot of kids will be similar so you can't judge it all on seeing kids wearing Chelsea, Barca etc.

And what's the issue with people only supporting Scotland?

My boys have loads of European club tops but no English ones.

I buy them when they're in the sale, if they like the look of them. They don't support any of the teams.

They always have their Rangers and Scotland tops too. Well, until Fat Mike started lining his pockets.

• 2 weeks later...

Celtic set to "go to war" over changes to Champions League.

You'll have to excuse me if I have no sympathy whatsoever for a bully upset at being bullied by bigger bullies.  In fact, it makes me smile.  

First they came for the diddy clubs, but we were not a diddy club, so we did nothing.  :lol:

On 10/02/2016 at 10:08 AM, fishcumnock said:

Back to the old way but straight draw no seeding champions and holders

only ,with a place for cup winner cup holders and eufa cup holders.

This seeding is Shiite deprives small clubs a payday.

That's what most football fans would prefer but wouldn't make as much money through sponsorships and TV deals etc so UEFA aren't interested.

It's not UEFA who wouldn't be interested, it's the clubs that hold them to ransom.  

You know what, I love football, have done for almost forty years now.  I would watch two amateur teams slug it out in the pishing rain in the middle of February just to see a game.  And yet, I didn't even realise Arsenal PLC were playing Barcelona PLC in the Champions League last night, and when I flicked to it, I flicked right on by.  Saturation and repetition will kill top level football eventually.  Question is - will the bloated few see it before it's too late?

Edited by adamntg

2 hours ago, Haggis McBasher said:

That's what most football fans would prefer but wouldn't make as much money through sponsorships and TV deals etc so UEFA aren't interested.

If that were the case, why do so many people watch it?

20 minutes ago, jailender said:

it's not about the number of people watching it. It's all about adverts and money.

The adverts and money are only there because people watch it. If they didn't get the exposure they wouldn't advertise. 

I don't have BT so no longer see the CL or EL football. Breath of fresh air. Only interest I have is a predictions competition I'm in.

If the big 4/5 leagues want to freeze the rest out then there could be something which those denied entry could do about. It's all about money which in the main is coming from tv and sponsorship.

Countries like Portugal, Holland, Greece, Scotland etc should arrange their big games to be played and televised on the same days as the CL dates. Folk in Holland are going to be more interested in watching Ajax v Feyenoord than another Arsenal v Barcelona match - would hopefully lead to far less CL viewers = sponsors not happy. 

In any case just how often will folk put up watching the same teams from another country play year after year? It's getting tedious as it is with more or less the same clubs reaching the last 8 every year. Will only get worse if it becomes a closed shop.

2 hours ago, adamntg said:

.  Saturation and repetition will kill top level football eventually.  Question is - will the bloated few see it before it's too late?

I would disagree. The Premier League and Champions League have gone from strength to strength financially over the years they have been active in their current formats. The Premier League has been running, with the Sky and then BT broadcast deals, for 25 years and doesn't show any sign of killing itself or indeed slowing down financially. Likewise there is more money pouring into the CL in TV and adverstising. How long do you give them before they "kill themselves" because at 25 years, thats quite a life span?

I think many of us are old enough to be talking about football pre-Sky but many "fans" nowadays will have known little but the Sky type of PL/CL football and that, for many, is the norm and doesn't show any sign of slowing down. As older fans become less interested there is a new generation who simply replace them, especially when they compare paying £25 per month to watch a months worth of football from everywhere and anywhere with £25 for say 90 minutes of SPL football, or more for a ticket for say a game in the English PL.