Best Scottish Tv Programs - Page 2 - Anything Goes - Other topics not covered elsewhere - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Best Scottish Tv Programs

Good shout with Limmy's Show, DoonTheSlope. Up there with any other sketch show I've ever seen. Fecking brilliant.

It's a marmite thing. its like he said in one of his sketches that he knows that most folk don't get it and says something like "the next time you see a dog in a car going past with its head stuck out the window, the dogs not wondering how fast the cars going, where everyone on the pavements walking too, he's just enjoying it. So the next time you watch my program just be like the dug"

Surprised nobody's mentioned Just Another Saturday and Just A Boys' Game.

Excellent gritty dramas which are now a piece of period history.

jeez forgot all aboot them got them on DVD as well think I'll need tae dig them oot

John Byrne's 'Your Cheatin' Heart' and Tutti Frutti. Hope Danny, Vincent, Bomba and Fud, Suzy Kettles, Mr Clockerty and Ms Toner stand the test of time.

Another nod for 'Takin' Over the Asylum' and Muriel Gray's 'The Munro Show.'

Still enjoy watching repeats of 'Still Game.'

Surprised nobody's mentioned Just Another Saturday and Just A Boys' Game.

Excellent gritty dramas which are now a piece of period history.

Good shout. Was before my time but watched on DVD. Just A Boys Game fight scenes first time watched were genuinely scary. So realistic you felt sick watching them and could feel sense of panic especially last one down the docks.

Hope Danny, Vincent, Bomba and Fud, Suzy Kettles, Mr Clockerty and Ms Toner stand the test of time.

I got the dvd a year ot two back having enjoyed the series when it was first in.

Unfortunately,for me at least, it has dated terribly. Eventually jacked it and didn't even watch it to the end.

Much disappointment.

Edited by neil r

• 2 years later...
On ‎01‎/‎02‎/‎2016 at 11:17 PM, Ormond said:

It would've been good if they'd spoke with Tayside accents instead of Fife ones though.

I noticed the other day, in the Wikipedia entry for Chewin the Fat, that "All of the crewmembers speak in thick Fife dialects." It just says it with no explanation. Maybe they were from on the Tay side of Fife?

On another front, I was watching a few back episodes of Chewin' the Fat recently, and for the first time really noticed how versatile and effective an actor is Ford "Jack" Tiernan. He plays everything from a Christmas elf to Big Man to ned to golf club snob to jane austen-era alehouse drinker to decorator.  Sometimes it looks as if other actors are just playing those roles, whereas he looks as if he is them. Ironically he plays a character who can't act, while around him others just go through the motions...

Two Doors Down has been brilliant this year...   

Honestly ,give the second episode a watch, the one with the Colon Operation, and i guarantee you will have a laugh yir socks off minute ....